Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 2R6 Pickup Wiper Motor - Help

Hi,

I could do with some suggestions to get my vacuum wiper motor working on my 2R6-2 Pickup.

Here's what I've done so far....

I removed the original wiper motor (not working) and sourced replacement wiper motor (working).

I checked the replacement wiper motor by hooking it up to the vacuum pipe and watched the actuating arms feverishly working back and forth, so a good start

I bolted the wiper motor in place, performed by best contortionist moves (ought to have been in the circus) to press on the wiper arms on to the actuating spindles, followed by working blind to hook a brand new spring on to the spindles. Using my nifty gadget, mirror with small LED light to check the spring was seated okay, I was feeling relieved and fully expectant of wiper blades to do their 'stuff.' However, I was disappointed to see nothing happen.

Moved across to the passenger side to double check operation of turning wiper switch was turning / pulling the motor on and off, check, working fine.

I bought new grommets, but have yet to fit to the wiper arms. My view was if the wipers operated, best hang on to the grommets for when / if they might fail.

Would this be the cause of the wiper blades not working?

I noted the existing grommets on the wiper arms have worn into a hexagonal shape, which is much different to the circular shape of the new grommets and presume the difference is shape is due to original grommets being in place almost 70 years.

I also note the driver's side wiper arm cuts really close to the heater matrix for which my heater matrix chimney (?) has had a knock or two in the past.

Any suggestions greatly received with thanks... and some accompanying photos of progress to date,
    Richard

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_115104.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1760969 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_115134.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1760970 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_115449.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1760971
    Last photo is looking from the driver's wing across to the passenger side, driver's wiper arm and motor in view under the hood
    Richard
    sigpic

It is hard to tell for sure but perhaps the motor should be mounted on the other side of the mounting bracket to offer greater clearance for the wiper arms. Is the motor engaging and not moving or is it not engaging. Pull off the vacuum line to be sure there is vacuum, try to move the assembly by hand and check for binding. Try to operate the motor without the arms attached. The process of elimination.

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for suggestions. I’ll try and take each in turn.
      I did think about mounting the motor on the other side of the motor bracket, but that would make the wiper arm rub against the heater matrix chimney (?), which pushes the air up the windshield vents. Or, at least I believe it might do that.
      The motor itself and the actuating arms work very well when connected to the vacuum hose. However, when the wiper arms are connected to the brass spindles on the actuating arms of the wiper motor, nothing happens.
      Lastly, it is possibly to move a wiper blade and have both wipers move freely in unison.
      I will replace the grommets that fit on to the wiper blade arms and hope the a tighter fit of the spindles to the arm might make the difference... could it be possible the spindles might not be gripped tightly enough to the wiper arms..?
      I’m not so sure on the last idea, but am willing to give it a try at least... just looking forward to pressing the wiper arms back on the actuating arm spindles afterwards!
      Thank you again for suggestions and taking time to share your ideas,
      Richard
      Richard
      sigpic

Comment

Altair, you were correct and have reinstalled the wiper motor with the motor placed behind the bracket.

I checked a photo I had taken shortly after my truck arrived and sure enough, I could see it was mounted behind the bracket.

But, still no action from the wiper blades that move back and forth without any hindrance.

I'm attaching another photo and have circled the exit nozzle on the opposite side from where the vacuum pipe attaches to wiper motor.

My question - should something be attached to the nozzle? And if yes, where would whatever attaches to it go to?

Other than that... I'm scratching my head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-14 13.33.46.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1729198

Thanks again for any pointers or suggestions
        Richard
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

As a side, worst come to worse, you could always rob an electric unit from a '56 and up C-Cab truck. You must use the bracket and wiper arms as well as the electrical.
          Essentially convert it to newer style.

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
            Altair, you were correct and have reinstalled the wiper motor with the motor placed behind the bracket.

I checked a photo I had taken shortly after my truck arrived and sure enough, I could see it was mounted behind the bracket.

But, still no action from the wiper blades that move back and forth without any hindrance.

I'm attaching another photo and have circled the exit nozzle on the opposite side from where the vacuum pipe attaches to wiper motor.

My question - should something be attached to the nozzle? And if yes, where would whatever attaches to it go to?

Other than that... I'm scratching my head.

Thanks again for any pointers or suggestions
            Richard
            That second nipple is for the connection to a dual action fuel pump (if you had one). Since you don't, plug it. That may be your problem.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
              As a side, worst come to worse, you could always rob an electric unit from a '56 and up C-Cab truck. You must use the bracket and wiper arms as well as the electrical.
              Essentially convert it to newer style.
              I don't think that will work. Richard's truck has the early style wiper motor mount. When electric wipers became optionally available in 1953, Stude had to change the wiper motor mount, which required a different vacuum wiper motor as well. Neither the 6v nor the 12v electric motors will fit the early mounts. NewPort Engineering makes an electric wiper set up for the trucks with early mounts.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the suggestion and time permitting will try that tomorrow evening.

Fingers crossed!

I've skimming thru photo images on Tapertalk to see if I could / can find photos of someone else's truck with similar wiper motor (not found yet) and now it's my bedtime over here.

Thanks again for suggestion.
                Richard
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Agreed.. Actually I stated that you have to have the bracket(Mount) as well.....
                  I drilled the rivets out of a '56 parts truck and grabbed it before it went to the crusher.
                  Now I just need the motor. LOL

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  I don't think that will work. Richard's truck has the early style wiper motor mount. When electric wipers became optionally available in 1953, Stude had to change the wiper motor mount, which required a different vacuum wiper motor as well. Neither the 6v nor the 12v electric motors will fit the early mounts. NewPort Engineering makes an electric wiper set up for the trucks with early mounts.

Comment

Is it possible the motor is to weak to work with a load, but is fine unloaded? with wiper arms off motor turn it on and try stalling it. Luck Doofus

Comment

"I noted the existing grommets on the wiper arms have worn into a hexagonal shape, which is much different to the circular shape of the new grommets and presume the difference is shape is due to original grommets being in place almost 70 years."

Actually, the rubber grommets fit over the brass bearings on the motor. These bearings should be hex on their outside. When you push the new round rubber grommets over the brass hexes, they will take on the hex shape. This is to prevent the rubber grommets from turning on the bearings and wearing out. The only motion should be between the inside of the brass hexes and their shafts. Make sure that these brass bearings turn freely on their shafts. If not, this could contribute to your problem.
                      Jim Bradley
                      Lake Monticello, VA
                      '78 Avanti II
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        Agreed.. Actually I stated that you have to have the bracket(Mount) as well.....
                        I drilled the rivets out of a '56 parts truck and grabbed it before it went to the crusher.
                        Now I just need the motor. LOL
                        Yeah, I missed that. But since Richard is in the UK, he's not likely to find a Stude truck of any age in a junk yard. For that matter, I haven't seen one around here for 20-25 years.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                          Is it possible the motor is to weak to work with a load, but is fine unloaded? with wiper arms off motor turn it on and try stalling it. Luck Doofus
                          That is quite possible. If the seal around the vane is not good, it will leak more under load. I found that to be the case with the motor that I have. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and coated the inside surfaces that are in contact with the vane with plumber's silicone grease. Some folks prefer Vaseline. Reducing the leakage around the vane definitely increases the power of the motor. Be aware that if you open up the motor, you will probably need a new gasket set. I found a set on ebay, but it was $17 for three pieces of paper. Also, care must be taken to position the reversing valve correctly on re-assembly.

Another thing to check is the felt air filter located under the sheet metal cover on the front of the motor. It it is full of dirt, it will degrade the performance of the motor. The felt can be removed and cleaned by taking off the cover. Be careful of the gasket. But, the seal of this gasket is not as critical as the ones on the top of the casting.

One more thought... I see that your vacuum hose appears to be quite old. Check to see that it is not deteriorated and/or collapsing internally under load. Also check the fitting that it attaches to on the manifold. Any crud build-up there can also be a problem.
                          Last edited by Rerun; 08-16-2019, 04:00 AM.
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Rerun,

Many thanks for your thoughts and input.

I carefully undid the metal pipe leading off the manifold complete with the rubber hose.

With a length of new flexible wire and just a tad less than the diameter of both, I fed the wire thru the metal pipe and separately thru the rubber hose - no obtstruction, dirt other came out, bar a very small amount of oil. Therefore, think that box is ticked off.

I received a reply from Rob, who rebuilds these motors. Interestingly, Rob said I should disconnect the wiper arms from the motor and let the actuating arms start working and then with my hand see how much resistance the arm gives. it can't offer a great deal of resistance, the issue will be internally with the wiper motor.

So, will have to give this a try.

I'm getting the stage or preferring the notion of an electric wiper motor... but, just hate the idea of being licked by a small motor not working!

Richard
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Richard,

As you noted in your original post, installing the linkage to the spindles while straddling the engine, working blind, is an adventure. I installed my wiper motor on the 2R5 today, and am happy to report that it is running fine. A thought later came to mind... Is it possible to install the left and right linkages to the wrong spindles on the back of the motor? This would cause the linkage to bind when the motor tried to run. The easiest way to check this would be (with the engine off) to push and pull one of the linkage rods and see if the motor freely goes through a full cycle. Or you might also check with a mirror to see if there is any binding of the linkage at the back of the motor.

Jim
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X