Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the only black 4-speed R3 was/is S/N 5237, the second R3 Avanti.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome Van,

Being a former sales person at a Studebaker Dealership in 63 maybe you know of other R2 Studebakers sold and used in racing.

One such Lark was run in Phoenix by Ray Tanner Motors.

Here is a thread you might enjoy on a deal sponsored AHRA Drag car.

Newbie (well, it was his first post!) Mike Lynch from Phoenix posted a request for more information about a certain 1963 R2/4-speed Lark that drag raced in Phoenix back in the day: The Whistler. Rather than tag along at the end of an older Ted Harbit topic, I thought I'd post what I have about the car in a new thread. Here

Take care

Comment

Welcome Van! Glad you are here.
        I was at the Studebaker Center one summer day in '63 with a red '49 pickup belonging to Marsh Auto Rebuild. While the shop was installing a couple parts we bought, a salesman (you perhaps) grabbed me and had me test drive a red R2 Powershift Avanti. I had driven old supercharged Hawks before, but wasn't expecting that car to wind so fast. The salesman was saying "shift, shift, shift!"
        I have a City of Seattle car that came through Studebaker Center.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          I have a City of Seattle car that came through Studebaker Center.
          Would that be your Blue Mist 1963 Standard 4 door?

Craig

Comment

Van,

A lifelong Seattle resident, and Studebaker owner since 1961. I have a friend who I've known for over seventy years who is also a Studebaker owner. I don't want to steal any of his thunder, because he checks in periodically and might have something to say. He worked weekends for a while, trying to sell cars at Studebaker Center. We have another friend who loved to drive fast. I should add that fast driving friend owned a 1957 Corvette at that time. One Saturday he and I set up an appointment to go out to test drive an Avanti. The three of us were in a red, R2 four speed car. I can't remember if it had faun or faun/red interior. Our fast driving friend was at the wheel as we made our way to the backside of Queen Anne hill at Taylor Ave. N. At the bottom of the hill our friend floored it. From then on until we went around the corner about a half mile away it was hang on! It was 7K RPM, and a power shift in each gear. All the while the "salesman" was screaming stop, stop, stop!

The test drive was over at that point, so I never got my chance at the wheel. Our fast driving friend was very quiet at the end of the drive. He was never a Studebaker fan until that day. He later bought one of the first 1964 GTO's to come into Seattle, because he said that he couldn't afford the Avanti. Some months later he admitted that the Avanti was the fastest car that he had ever driven, a moment of truth that did not come easy for him.

I own a 1960 four door wagon that was originally purchased at SC, and about a year and a half later traded in and sold as a used car (tan with tan interior). Van you wouldn't recognize the south end of Lake Union today.

I see you live in Lincoln. My niece and my 97 yo half sister just sold my niece's home, in the Del Webb community, and move back to Minneapolis. Small world!

Bill

Comment

Hello, and Welcome Van!

I know, my father bought his first new car, at the age of 23, from a Dealer in Seattle. It was a '57 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Although it somewhat predated your involvement, it sounds likely, it was the same establishment?

Mark
              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 08-14-2019, 09:29 AM.
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Would that be your Blue Mist 1963 Standard 4 door?

Craig
                Yep! Still have it. Why would anyone buy a plain jane model like that? Main thing for me was all the service documentation that came with it.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZM2019S.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1729165
                  Originally posted by Van M Heeter View Post
                  Thanks for responding! Yes, we are quite close. You have quite a collection. Isn't there a regional meet coming up in the Sacramento area? If so, I will try to attend. Van
                  Come join us!....it's going to be the best Zone Meet ever!
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Gary: I see #5237 listed but not yet registered with the Avanti registry. Is there any other place to look for this car that you know of? It would sure be interesting to hear from the present owner. Thanks, Van

Comment

Shift!

Yeah, we gave a lot of test rides in Avantis, some pretty wild! Curiously, not too many sales. $4600 was a lot of money in 1963. Van

Comment

Lark R2

We had at least one Lark Daytona R2 coupe, 4speed that we sold. It was fast! Don't remember any direct connection to racing with cars we sold. One interesting thing I do remember is the plain standard coupe with the R2 engine that Studebaker briefly advertised as the "Q" car. it had no identifying trim like "Regal", etc. I believe we sold one. Think it had the R2, 4 speed, 373 axle, twin traction, etc. Wonder if the "blue mist" 63 R2 coupe drag raced in Phoenix was a "Q" car? Van

Comment

Thanks, enjoyed your story! Being a Studebaker salesperson during the Avanti era could be dangerous! I remember that there was a restaurant (floating) in a former ferryboat or tour boat anchored(tied up) in Lake union right across the the street ( Westlake) from our dealership. Believe we ate lunch there some. Came to work one morning and it was sunk!

Yes, we live in Del Webb Sun City! Van

Comment

Mr. Heeter,
                            Being an Avanti owner #2865 I'm curious as to "other" cars prospective Avanti purchasers were considering. I have all the original documentation on my car & see the price bumping up to the $5K mark for 1963, but did any of the people looking at the Avanti say what else they were considering at the time? I would think you'd be in Cadillac territory, perhaps Jaguar XKE, definitely in the Buick Riveria realm but did anyone say specifically what they were considering while looking at the Avanti?

Comment

I always heard the competition was mostly Riviera and T-Bird, the prices were somewhat close.

Sometimes the Corvette, but not so much due to it NOT being a Sports/Tourer, 4 passenger, Personal Luxury Car.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Van M Heeter View Post
                                /Cut/One interesting thing I do remember is the plain standard coupe with the R2 engine that Studebaker briefly advertised as the "Q" car. it had no identifying trim like "Regal", etc. I believe we sold one. Think it had the R2, 4 speed, 373 axle, twin traction, etc. Wonder if the "blue mist" 63 R2 coupe drag raced in Phoenix was a "Q" car? Van
                                Van, what you are remembering is a '63 Lark "Standard" they were designed as Fleet cars for a very LOW cost usually with 6 Cyl. engines or Standard 259 V8's.

BUT several were ordered as R1 and R2 Drag Strip cars like Gordon William's Super Red 2 Dr. Standard that killed Mustangs and Fairlanes with the Hi-Po 289's and won the Winternationals at Pomona, CA.

Here is another '63 Standard:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard Racer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1729197 The Arizona Lark you refer to is known as the "Whistler" and is an ordinary Lark Regal mid level 2 Door Sedan, the largest selling 2 Door Sedan.
                                I am not sure if "Q" Quick Cars came in Regal's or Custom's.

Remember that 2 Dr. Sedans were never called "Coupes" probably due to the fact that there WERE Studebaker Coupes; '47 to '61, and before, totally different animals.
                                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2019, 06:10 PM.
                                StudeRich
                                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X