Bulky Hydrovac replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Bulky Hydrovac replacement?

Roly Lusted just forwarded to me this photo of a complete 1955-1957 Thunderbird (and some other Fords of the era) power brake setup available through Ford for those cars.

He was wondering if anyone has tried to fit one to a Studebaker to dispense with the ungainly Hydrovac unit(s).

Click image for larger version

Name:	19551957thunderbirdpowerbrakesetup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1760964

By chance, has anyone tried it, albeit modified for a Studebaker application? The fact that Fords of the era have suspended pedals doesn't enter the equation because this unit is separate from the master cylinder. Like Studebaker Hydrovacs, it is mounted on the fender apron, per Roly.

Comments? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Roly Lusted just forwarded to me this photo of a complete 1955-1957 Thunderbird (and some other Fords of the era) power brake setup available through Ford for those cars.

He was wondering if anyone has tried to fit one to a Studebaker to dispense with the ungainly Hydrovac unit(s).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83148[/ATTACH]

By chance, has anyone tried it, albeit modified for a Studebaker application? The fact that Fords of the era have suspended pedals doesn't enter the equation because this unit is separate from the master cylinder. Like Studebaker Hydrovacs, it is mounted on the fender apron, per Roly.

Comments? BP

I wonder if it could be mounted on the firewall like a hydrovac that was on a '55 President sedan I bought some twenty-five years ago. It sure looked like a factory installation to me as the car had only about 15K on it but it was hit on the side probably totaled by insurance company prior to my entering the picture. I think that it's still in Mark Franks boneyard in Lampases TX...

Comment

I wonder if anybody tried a Girling remote servo. These are fairly easy to install.
      RatSport supply innovative & unique parts for vintage, classic, sports and kit cars
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
        I wonder if it could be mounted on the firewall like a hydrovac that was on a '55 President sedan I bought some twenty-five years ago. It sure looked like a factory installation to me as the car had only about 15K on it but it was hit on the side probably totaled by insurance company prior to my entering the picture. I think that it's still in Mark Franks boneyard in Lampases TX...
        'Looks like it could be mounted anywhere, James. It doesn't have to be physically aligned with the master cylinder. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a similar PB unit salvaged from a 56 Hawk Hulk, it's a Midland remote booster, 1in cyl bore. hoping to add to wifes 57 Silver Hawk. after booster is rebuilt,,,,, and i get the time. Luck Doofus

Comment

Question...are these power brake units only to be considered as "replacements" for existing power-brake equipped vehicles??? Or, could they be installed to supplement (upgrade?) older conventional hydraulic systems in cars & trucks? I'm thinking of how such an install could allow our older members to continue to enjoy driving their rides even if their leg strength isn't as strong as it once was.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Question...are these power brake units only to be considered as "replacements" for existing power-brake equipped vehicles??? Or, could they be installed to supplement (upgrade?) older conventional hydraulic systems in cars & trucks? I'm thinking of how such an install could allow our older members to continue to enjoy driving their rides even if their leg strength isn't as strong as it once was.
              Hey John,
              I hope you are all right and currently enjoying your toys.
              I never tried it myself, but the Girling setup seems to be adaptable to any vehicle as long it is equipped with a single brake brake circuit. In fact, you could use it with a double circuit but you would need two brake boosters. This one is less less bulky and complicated (and expensive!) than an Hydrovac. That is why I mentioned it.
              Nice day to all.
              sigpic

Comment

Does the Girling unit still require their "special" brake fluid? I recall the Girling brakes failing on my 1962 Metropolitan when filled with USA DOT 3 fluid.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-10-2019, 10:52 AM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The only requirement is DOT 4 fluid responding to SAE J1703 specification.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    I can't answer that directly, John. I would think so but would want to research factors like the brake pedals being of different heights on Studebakers with manual brakes versus power brakes. BP

Comment

This brake booster is called a "Midland" style booster. everywhere on Ebay. Anything can be made to work. Working WELL is more complicated.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X