Quick question on brake switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Quick question on brake switch

Hello I will be installing a new brake switch on my 55 Champion this afternoon. The only reference to this in the manual is to bleed the front brakes afterwards. My question is when I remove the old switch should I expect free flow of brake fluid as when open a bleeder screw or is there some some sort of one way valve behind the switch that prevents this.
    Also is bleeding the front brakes only as recommended sufficient or is there need to do full four wheel bleed. Thank you for any pointers.
    1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

You should bleed brakes about every 3-5 years depending on how often it is driven, dry storage when stored? and how good you know them to be. Brakes like to be worked, and do not like sitting still.

If you have not, you should. The fluid will dribble a bit, just have the new one and a rag handy.

Comment

Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. It is stored inside and I replaced both the metal and rubber lines as well as all the wheel cylinders in 2017 so the fluid is fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by 55sedan View Post
        Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. It is stored inside and I replaced both the metal and rubber lines as well as all the wheel cylinders in 2017 so the fluid is fresh.
        In that case, I would just take one switch out and immediately put the new one in place. No significant leakage and no bleeding necessary. Of course, if you end up with a spongy pedal, you can always bleed the brakes.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I changed mine on my 1950 Champion exactly like Gary just mentioned, and no bleeding was needed.
          The switch was still under NAPA's 2 year warranty, so no cost to me. I made the warranty by 2 weeks.

Comment

I now have brake lights once again. Thank you all. Now my daughter and I are able to head off to the Bothwell show here in southern Ontario tomorrow. Hope to see lots of other Studie’s there as well

Comment

Working...
            X