Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 94 yr old Uncle

Wanted to share this; couldn't resist.

The 34th annual Dederick reunion was held on Sunday, July 21, 2019. at the Dederick Christian church with 37 people in attendance. Debbie Vickers led the group in singing the National Anthem and Richard Watkins asked the blessing. A delicious lunch was enjoyed by all. After the meal, Tim Bartkoski had everyone present introduce themselves

In the war-time photo he is right of center, standing at the gun control.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Thanks Dwain. Nice story.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Way to go, Gene Dale! He obviously still feels a lot of dedication to our flag, and our country, and it gave him the strength he needed to get up and stand with Old Glory. World war II vets are getting scarce. and we all still owe them a huge amount of respect.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dwain... a great story to be sure.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Dwain,
          Thanks for the great post. A huge debt of gratitude goes out to Gene Dale and his shipmates for their valued service.
          Bill

Comment

Thanks, Dwain; thoroughly enjoyable. All the best to him. Bob
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Dwain-great story! You remind me a little of him.

Bill

Comment

The Light Cruiser USS Phoenix (CL-46) was sold to Argentina in 1951 and renamed the General Belgrano.

In 1981, during the Falklands Island War, the General Belgrano/USS Phoenix was torpedoed and sunk by the British submarine HMS Conqueror outside the exclusion zone.

The Phoenix was at Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. A pic taken during the attack shows her steaming past the burning battleships USS Arizona & USS West Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                  The Light Cruiser USS Phoenix (CL-46) was sold to Argentina in 1951 and renamed the General Belgrano.

In 1981, during the Falklands Island War, the General Belgrano/USS Phoenix was torpedoed and sunk by the British submarine HMS Conqueror outside the exclusion zone.

The Phoenix was at Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. A pic taken during the attack shows her steaming past the burning battleships USS Arizona & USS West Virginia.
                  I went to a USS Phoenix reunion in about 1999 when the Belgrano Captain and XO were there as guest speakers.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                  X