6 volt LED lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt LED lights

Are their 6 volt LED lights that will fit my 1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe turn signal, stop lights and tail lights?

Ron Acton

There are, but FWIW my attempt to use LEDs in my 52 was not successful. I found a 6 volt flasher that was purported to be LED friendly, and found all the "correct" LEDs, from what I could determine. I was in the middle of rewiring the car and thought why not. However, I had various issues with the wrong lamp lighting at the wrong time, and never could get all to work correctly. I ended up going back to stock bulbs, and put in a 6 volt LED third brake light in the rear window.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Go to https://www.superbrightleds.com/
      I have purchased lights from them and they are great.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

An electronic flasher will work LED bulbs. I built my own electronic flasher about 10 years ago so someday I can install LED turn signals on my Model A.
        BTW my electronic flasher will work on anything from 0 amps to the relay rated 15 amps.

Comment

I put LED's on my Jeepster and had to switch to an electronic flasher. It took a few tries. The first one I got made no clicking noise. The second died in about three days. This one has been working great for almost three years:

CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 + Ground Wire Prongs, 12 Volts

This is the two-prong version. I think they make the same thing with three prongs. The ground wire is important for these in the two-prong configuration.

Nathan

Comment

Yes, the same flasher in the 3 prong version is EF33RL.

Comment

Originally posted by ronta View Post
              Are their 6 volt (?) LED lights that will fit my 1951 Studebaker Starlight coupe turn signal, stop lights and tail lights?

Ron Acton

So...three days since this was posted and (unless I'm missing something), no one has addressed the main focus of Ron's question.
              I'm not certain, but I too would like to know if there is a 6 volt (positive ground) electronic flasher available? My (suspect) thinking is that regardless of whether the bulbs are LED or conventional incandescent...an electronic flasher works as a "timer" flasher and not from a bi-metal thermal reaction in older electro-mechanical flashers.

I'm thinking that an electronic flasher should work for either type lighting. It is also my understanding that the main importance for LED lights is that they all need a proper resistor for the voltage supplied and that it be placed on the "ground" lead. It is my understanding that LED's will work fine (positive or negative) as long as the resistor is wired between the GROUND and the bulb. (I reserve the right to claim enough ignorance to have this backward.)

My interest in this subject is motivated by the fact that my conventional 6 volt flashers operate/blink very slow at idle speeds when the generator is not putting out much (if any) charge at low rpm. Therefore, if an electronic flasher giving a constant electronic millisecond flash rate would work in my 6 Volt application, I would prefer that over the older type.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This is the type I used. Although I couldn't get LED lamps to work correctly, I kept this flasher and it works great with incandescent bulbs. Nice audible click, even flash rate always, very happy with it.

FYI - This vendor also has a great selection of 6V pos ground LEDs.
                Last edited by gjamesk; 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM. Reason: wrong link
                3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Working...
                X