Thread: Crazy High Speed Motorcycle Commute by a future organ donor.

President Member

Crazy High Speed Motorcycle Commute by a future organ donor.

My grandparents came from Russia but I don't know if they have an organ donor program there. This guy is for sure a prime candidate! Just a little move by one of the two cars he doesn't mind splitting and he is toast. Also doesn't mind running on in the oncoming traffic lane. Good show!

President Member
    Rochester NY and Delray Beach FL, ---NY (Summer) FL.(Winter), USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Could have been filmed on I-95 in South Florida on any sunny day. I watch those cowboys and flinch at the chances they take. On a related subject: how do they get women to hold on in back as they try to commit suicide.

I've always been very grateful that none of my kids were into Bikes.
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Quote Originally Posted by stall View Post
    On a related subject: how do they get women to hold on in back as they try to commit suicide.

Craig

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    At the speeds he was hitting there won't be any organs in donateable condition! I've actually seen goofballs on their bikes driving just like this guy, and eventually it will catch up to them. Thanks Bill for a thrilling ride! Bill

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    IIRC the rider died in a wreck a couple years after this video was originally posted (note that the video was originally posted 8 1/2 years ago)
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

President Member
    The saying, "Just because you can..., doesn't mean you should," would be applicable here.

From https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/upco...lane-splitting "Advocates of the technique cite safety, reduced congestion and less emissions as benefits of lane splitting,..."

1. Safety for who? The person who CHOSE to drive a vulnerable vehicle? Meanwhile those who travel in (newer) cars are required to have seat belts, absorbing bumpers, air bags, crumple zones, lane change monitoring - some cars have collision avoidance and automatic braking. Basically the law is making autos sacrificial for motorcycle driver. Also, given that an auto is not "out of lane" until it crosses the lane line two cars can be side by side, very close to each other and legally prevent lane splitting. So, by what logic would a motorcycle pinned between two moving cars be deemed "safe?"

2. Less congestion. No. Displaced congestion.

3. Less emissions. Again, no, not likely. Motorcycles contribute negligibly to pollution.

Many (many) years ago when I road a motorcycle I drove it like it was a car. The reward did not seem worth the risk doing things like splitting lanes.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Here in California, the only people who do this are guys doing 15-20 MPH over the speed limit. They scare the heck out of you going by (or, worse, scare heck out of your wife), cause people to brake, swerve, etc. More than one has terminated in a crash that ties up freeway traffic for 6+ hours while investigators document the scene. IMO the practice should be outlawed in all 50 states.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by showbizkid View Post
    Here in California, the only people who do this are guys doing 15-20 MPH over the speed limit. They scare the heck out of you going by (or, worse, scare heck out of your wife), cause people to brake, swerve, etc. More than one has terminated in a crash that ties up freeway traffic for 6+ hours while investigators document the scene. IMO the practice should be outlawed in all 50 states.
    On my motorcycle forums, the issue of "lane splitting" comes up from time to time. From what I gather, it is a common legal practice in Europe. But here in the US...it is illegal in most states, California being one of the exceptions. I have reached that age that I have had enough adrenaline rushes for a lifetime...challenged my share of mountain switchbacks, and survived enough tumbles to know they rarely turn out pleasant. In Vietnam, if being blasted out of your bunk at 3:AM wasn't bad enough, as the horrible concussion wave thumps through your chest and scrambling in only your undershorts to the nearest bunker trying not to step on the red glowing metal shards of the exploded rocket is excitement enough...those times should have supplied all the 0 to MAXIMUM moments any sane person would ever want to experience.

I still ride my motorcycle, but rarely on weekends. I'd rather have my rides when most folks are either working or out on the roads because they need to get somewhere and therefore are more likely to be serious about their driving. I still choose challenging mountain roads, but ride them at my pace. No real hurry, only challenge is to have a pleasant ride. It is bad enough to have to constantly look for the inattentive driver drifting into my lane, creeping out from a side road, or making a left turn in front of me as I approach...the real challenge is to ride with the alertness of a deer or wild turkey...doing that at a leisure pace is enough of a challenge. Blasting down a crowded multi lane municipal freeway lane splitting is not on my bucket list. Only one flick of a door, one misjudged mirror...and for what...especially when trying to impress a bunch of strangers who have already summed you up as an idiot and a fool!

OH...one more thing...I'd like to watch the video one more time hooked up to one of those "real time" heart rate monitors.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by showbizkid View Post
    Totally agree. And while I know we are to keep "politics" out of this it makes me wonder how laws like these get passed? From what I found there are 14,600,000 cars registered in California and 800,000 motorcycles. That is a ratio of 1 motorcycle per 18.5 cars. So, how does 5% of the California driving population get such accommodation? I think many people are more concern about how long the drive thru line is at Starbuck's (can't be late to their kids soccer practice) than they care about the consequences of things like lane splitting. It is sad so many have gone brain dead..., and don't even know it.

Side note; the picture in post #4 by 8E45E, the Ventu Park Rd. exit is rather near by.
    Last edited by wittsend; 08-06-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    Back when I was a youngster, I did some equally crazy stuff, some even worse.

Late one night, after more than two drinks, a friend and I were walking back to school when we passed a parking lot where there was a shiny new Norton Atlas.
    After only a moments hesitation, we hot wired it, and each of us made a pass down the main downtown street, flat out, laid down on the tank. We parked the bike and resumed walking as we heard a half dozen police sirens.

Twenty years later I had a Norton and a Honda in the garage. One day I took a look at them, thought about all the crazy *** I'd done, and decided to quit while I was ahead. I sold both and haven't been on a bike since.

But, once in a while........

I have ridden since 15; currently ride a GL1800 Goldwing, and have ridden it 53,000 miles in the last 14 months. I belong to a few Goldwing forums, and most riders in California advocate lane splitting. A few other states have recently legalized it, and more are likely to follow. It has been semi-legal in California for decades. I used to lane split regularly there in the 80s-90s. If done judiciously it is reasonably safe, gets you home quicker, and even relieves congestion for cage drivers, since the biker just filters through and is long gone before the next intersection/exit.

As for riding like a maniac, nowadays' Goldwing is a often considered a geezer glide, with most riders in their 50s-70s. I call it a hotrod Cadillac, and they will surprise many as to what they are capable of in terms of speed and handling. I ride sensibly, but know several riders who never wear tires out on the bottom. Instead, they wear out the, "chicken strips" on the sides, often in less than 2000 miles. Many of these folks have handicap plates, and use canes when dismounted. LOL

To each their own, but I will probably always have a motorcycle and a Studebaker in the garage. Cannot imagine what life would be like without either of them.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.

President Member
    At least there's no irritating Bott's dots for him to have to continually ride over.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    I don't think he's taken the ABATE Riding Course.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    I've ridden motorcycles for over 40 years carefully. It's not the motorcycle that's so dangerous it's the inattentive car driver. The absolutely dangerous maneuvers the average driver undertakes with total disregard or even self awareness on a daily basis is astounding. Add to that the latest safety technology which contributes to even more inattentive behavior. I've never engaged in lane splitting because I simply don't trust that those operating the cars will attentively stay in their lane. Perhaps already knowing that in the back of your mind is what attributes to your outrage. These speeding lane splitting daredevils putting their blind faith in automobile operators is what's really scary! No thanks. I don't trust anyone driving a car while I'm riding my bike. Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    I've ridden motorcycles for over 40 years carefully. It's not the motorcycle that's so dangerous it's the inattentive car driver. The absolutely dangerous maneuvers the average driver undertakes with total disregard or even self awareness on a daily basis is astounding. Add to that the latest safety technology which contributes to even more inattentive behavior. I've never engaged in lane splitting because I simply don't trust that those operating the cars will attentively stay in their lane. Perhaps already knowing that in the back of your mind is what attributes to your outrage. These speeding lane splitting daredevils putting their blind faith in automobile operators is what's really scary! No thanks. I don't trust anyone driving a car while I'm riding my bike. Would you?
    No outrage here, but definitely no trust either. However, MC riding definitely helps keeps the five senses honed. It's like everything else in life, we pays our and takes our chances. Since you live next door in AZ, maybe zoom over to CA sometimes on your bike and test the waters with lane splitting. You may just discover why it is becoming increasingly accepted and popular. Also, the state of California, for the last few years has been trying to educate the public that lane splitting is a good thing for all, and encouraging cage drivers to be alert and courteous. Not trying to be pro California, just experiences there. Also, my oldest son still lives in San Diego County, and rides a Suzuki GSXR1000. Some of the lane splitters and cagers scare him too, but he just tries to do it sensibly and responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Also, the state of California, for the last few years has been trying to educate the public that lane splitting is a good thing for all, and encouraging cage drivers to be alert and courteous. Not trying to be pro California, just experiences there.
    When I was in San Jose area last May, I noticed cars and trucks will move over (and/or fold in their mirrors in the case of larger trucks with trailer mirrors) when stopped in congested traffic, if able, to give MC riders more room while lane-splitting. I did not see this in 2010 when I was last in the area.

Craig