Technique for tight grommet installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Technique for tight grommet installation

I see the grommets used for the T-86 linkages are actually 2 tubes surrounded by the rubber. Since I don’t really want to ruin any, wondering if anybody could share a reliable installation technique for these little tranny helpers.
    thx for any info.

I haven't donr these grommets, but on other parts I have had good luck with a small amount of dishwashing liquid to lubricate the parts. Good luck with it.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I used Dow Cornning High Vacuum grease.

Comment

If the rubber is not bonded to the inner sleeve, remove the inner sleeve, which then makes inserting the grommet into the loop very easy, and replace the sleeve.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          If the rubber is not bonded to the inner sleeve, remove the inner sleeve, which then makes inserting the grommet into the loop very easy, and replace the sleeve.
          Ditto, this is what I did.

Comment

Agree with the previous 2 installers. What I found helpful was putting in the metal sleeve partly, so that the grommet can compress enough to get in the shifter arm, then use a pair of channel lock pliers to squeeze the metal sleeve fully through the grommet. It wasn't too bad, once you eased the inner sleeve out of the grommet.

Comment

Working...
            X