Thread: '49 2R10 ready for the road

'49 2R10 ready for the road

IMG_20190621_141345243.jpgIMG_20190621_141353336.jpgIMG_20190621_164446037_HDR.jpgIMG_20190629_154913802_HDR.jpg
    New to the SDC and the forums. Thankful for all the information available. I purchased this truck in mid June and have been working to get it roadworthy since. The previous owner had done the brakes, Bonus! I had to replace the entire front suspension; springs,bushings,tie rod ends, reach rod ends, and king pins. Looked like all were still original! Had to replace Valve cover gaskets (massive leaks), so I replaced the manifold gasket at the same time. Fluid changes, tuneup,and carb/throttle work. The only thing you can see from the outside are the seat belts, Lol. August is unlimited driving on your Historical plate in Michigan, and she is ready to wear down those bias-ply tires!

Nice truck! The body looks to be in great shape, and I love the colour combo. Welcome to the forum too. cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Thanks Junior. I had been looking for a 2R truck for about 6 years. One that wasn't a complete restoration, yet one that I could work on and be a driver at the same time. The previous owner bought the truck in Arkansas five years ago, and put it in storage. The body is amazing only a few spots of rust, and the frame is fantastic. That is what drew me to this truck. Was't a fan of "Chrome Yellow" it's original color, but it is growing on me.

You got to drive yours quicker than I did mine. It took me a bit over a year to get it safe to drive. You won't have any trouble finding it in a parking lot.
    I just noticed that you bought it in Arkansas. That's funny because after looking for years I found my truck in Mississippi.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

52-fan, I actually purchased it in MI. popped up on classic car alert and it was only 30 miles from my house. Fun fact , both my grandfather and the sellers grandfather worked for Studebaker in South Bend until it closed. That is why I wanted a Stude. And the only reason I got it around so quickly is I took a buyout/early retirement from my job of 31 years in November. So I have plenty of time to work on it!

That's a nice looking truck. Is it all original? I just bought a '49 2R5 truck last week that has been completely updated with lots of modern conveniences (except power steering). There's a thread on it in the Stude discussion forum on page 2 or 3 if you want to read about all of the upgrades it has and see a few pics. You should drive yours down here to Louisville this weekend for the Street Rod Nationals where there will be over 10,000 classics from the '80s back to the turn of the century. Here's a pic of mine. Good luck with yours....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

50Champ, I actually saw your thread on your truck, jealous of a lot of your upgrades for sure! It is all original, and I'm going to keep going forward that way. Well...I'm thinking about changing the tranny to a 3 speed with overdrive. 45 MPH all the way to Louisville....I don't think so! Enjoy your new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JTully15 View Post
    50Champ, I actually saw your thread on your truck, jealous of a lot of your upgrades for sure! It is all original, and I'm going to keep going forward that way. Well...I'm thinking about changing the tranny to a 3 speed with overdrive. 45 MPH all the way to Louisville....I don't think so! Enjoy your new truck.
    Thanks. Have you considered painting the letters on the tailgate so it will be easier for people to see what kind of truck you're driving?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

I actually have thought about that. Funny how many of my neighbors have stopped and knew what it was! They must be a lot older than me! LoL

[QUOTE=JTully15;1167467]50Champ, I actually saw your thread on your truck, jealous of a lot of your upgrades for sure! It is all original, and I'm going to keep going forward that way. Well...I'm thinking about changing the tranny to a 3 speed with overdrive. 45 MPH all the way to Louisville....I don't think so! Enjoy your new truck.[/QUOTE

The overdrive will make a big difference. My truck has 4:55 gears and I just got my overdrive wired up yesterday. Now I can cruise on the highway without holding up traffic. Of course, the 259 helps on the hills.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Beautiful! Yellow is my favorite color.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible