1964 Commander 4 door Window and Door Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1964 Commander 4 door Window and Door Trim

I am hoping that I have this listed under the right category. The New Mexico sun really did a number on the window trim. In looking for the door window rubber, trim, and u channel will the parts for a 1964 Lark fit a 1964 Commander 4 door?

A 4 door 1964 body (whichever model) should have identical door trim rubbers etc, the differences will be the level of "bling" I.e. base commanders could have rubber flooring and basic vinyl upholstery whereas a cruiser had carpet and top quality vinyl, with broadcloth upholstery an option.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate it. I didn't want to buy the wrong pieces.

Comment

You're welcome, that's what the forum is for, helping each other.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I think we need to understand what your concept of a "Door Trim Rubber" is.

There are Rubber "Weatherstrips" around the Door openings on the BODY to seal out wind and water.

There is "Windlace" around the Door openings on the INSIDE of the Car, in Colors to match the Interior.

There are "Window Channels" (U Channels) in the Door around the Glass that the Glass slides in.

There are "Cat Whiskers" along the outside of the Door Windows that stop the Glass from rattling, and "Slow" the water going inside the door.

On the INSIDE of the Door, against the Glass, the Cat Whiskers are part of the Door Panel on a '64 Commander.

NONE of these could be considered "TRIM", as they are not for beautification.

The Vinyl coverings on the entire inside of the Doors are referred to as: "Door Panels" and the Tops of them are exposed to a lot of Sun and fade or "burn".

Keep in mind also that as you were told before; some People/Parts Sellers may refer to 1964 Models as "Larks" but for most purposes Larks ended with the 1963 Year Model, a better term is "Lark Type" for the '64 to '66 Compact Models.

An Advertising Agency tasked with producing the '64 Showroom Brochures accidentally and incorrectly, referred to the Commanders as "Larks". Actually, only the bottom of the Line, bare bones Challengers were I.D.'d with a Lark Bird indicating they were the only '64 "Larks".

So if someone says: " '59 to '64 or '66 Larks" they really mean your Car as well, just a nomenclature error and a quicker way to say: "NOT a '64 Studebaker; Hawk, Avanti, Champ or Transtar.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-31-2019, 11:25 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you very much this helps so much. I was looking at some drawings trying to figure out what everything is called. Every piece you mention is what I am going to replace.

Comment

Working...
            X