Thread: Came home with something unexpected over the weekend!

Speedster Member

Came home with something unexpected over the weekend!

Long story short, I went to Delaware to buy a rebuild-able 259 and came home with a Packard 352. Ive got a stupid grin on my face to say the least.

I have always been intrigued by this engine. A friend of mind had a 352 Golden Hawk that I had the privilege to see and hear and examine about 4-5 years ago. Love that engine and I started looking for one. I searched on and off for about 3 years and found some but something always got in the way. That is until Saturday the 27th when I showed up to a "now" friends house to buy his 259 and saw the 352 next to it. I had to ask, he was hesitant to sell it as he had been saving it for 15 years but he gave me a reasonable price and I was happy to pay it with a quick trip to the ATM.

Thanks Randy! Im still smiling and Im selling one of my cars to fund the build. I also have a lot of research to do to.

I knew this engine is heavy but WOW, its heavy!

AEDEC438-696D-4256-9BDC-3613FDC9644C.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg
    Last edited by what huh; 07-29-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Way cool; they are good engines, Charles.

Question: Are you sure it's a 352?

Reason I ask is that red 1955 Packard V8s were the smaller 320s used in Clipper Supers and Clipper DeLuxes, of which they made quite a few...and, yes, they had 4-bbl carburetors.

Look for a stamped engine number roughly where they are on Studebaker V8s. But the number is stamped on a rough casting area, not a machined pad, so it's a little harder to read. Post the number or send me a PM and we can know for sure. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member
    It reads S2842

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by what huh View Post
    It reads S2842
    Cool beans, Charles; thanks.

It is indeed a 1956 Golden Hawk 352, originally equipped with Twin-Ultramatic transmission, as denoted by the "S" prefix. BP.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member
    Thanks bud! Interesting that it came with an auto trans cause I believe that it has a manual bell housing bolted to it

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Those are good engines. Great score!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Commander Member
    Here is what you need to complement that engine https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studeb...780c%7Ciid%3A1

Speedster Member
    Sure is! If I had the cash flow I would buy it but I’m not there yet. My current plan is to start looking for a car when the engine is done.