'51 Champion interior lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: '51 Champion interior lights

Were '51 Champions available with interior lights that were controlled by door switches, perhaps installed as an option? Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge they were installed as a standard item; not an option.
    The switch would be installed in the 'A' pillar and the button would be depressed when the door was closed, breaking the circuit.
    When the door was opened the switch would complete the ground. Meaning there was constant power TO the dome light and dash map light, but no current could flow until the contact switch completed the circuit.
    Both lights should also operate off the headlight switch. Rotating it left should operate the dome and map light, rotating right should operate the dash lights.
    And there's also a switch for the dome lights on the interior right side 'B' pillar.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Its also like that on my 50 Champion

Mark

Comment

The low cost Custom models didn't have them. Dstude, what is on the body number plate? C1, C3, C5, or???
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The Body Type and Trim Level may cause these features to not be included.

If you have a Low Trim Level 2 Door Sedan it would not be equipped like a Regal Starlight Coupe.

Check the Body Tag on the right side of the Firewall and match that to the Studebaker Body Parts Catalog info on Models in the Front of the book and then look up the Dome light and check which Model Codes included them and or the door switches.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And, of course, convertibles don't have overhead dome lights. But they do have a light above the speedometer that's controlled by the rotating the headlight switch (useful for reading one's speed at night -- since the "glow in the dark" numerals have usually lost their phophoresence over the years.)

Comment

49 Champion sedan dome lights have a circuit breaker on left side under dash, has wire going up through headliner to rear interior light that is always hot.

Comment

My '51 Starlight is a C3, so no door switches, but I'll bet I'm not the first person who would like to retrofit them. Assuming the switches are still available. does anyone have a cheat sheet diagram of the easiest place to tap into the pillar switch-dome light circuit to make the switches work? Likely it would be at the headlight switch. And could anyone provide a photo of the position, and possible a measurement, of the original position of the switches on the door jambs? Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

If the car has a dome light, then the hot wire is already there. The door switches apply a ground.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by dstude View Post
                    ... could anyone provide a photo of the position, and possible a measurement, of the original position of the switches on the door jambs?
                    I would be very surprised if a knockout or plug is not already located in the 'A' pillar where the switch would installed. But here are views of my passenger side pillar.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290277.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1728972 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290278.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1728973 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290279.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1728974
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad, thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to get. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X