No announcement yet.

Avanti Dash Removal Article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Avanti Dash Removal Article?

I think it would be a great idea to post the 'how to' of the removal of an Avanti dash board. I remember reading maybe 25 years ago a fellow named Nels outlined a step by step "how to" concerning the removal and re-installation of the Studebaker Avanti dash.
    If anyone has actually done the above, it would be a great sticky for the rest of us Avanti owners.

Hawklover,
    Your profile doesn't include your name so I can't personally address you but,
    If the Avanti dash removal procedure HAS been posted in the past, it would be appropriate for it to be in the technical tips page under "Resources" on our web site. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp , and may well be included in Bob Johnstone's excellent compendium of Studebaker knowledge. http://studebaker-info.org/
    Have you looked for it there?
    Can you imagine how laborious our forum discussion index would get if all the technical tips were to be "stickies" on the forum opening page?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I found out it was the subject of a long how to in Avanti magazine.........what year, have no idea?
      Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Hawklover,
      Your profile doesn't include your name so I can't personally address you but,
      If the Avanti dash removal procedure HAS been posted in the past, it would be appropriate for it to be in the technical tips page under "Resources" on our web site. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp , and may well be included in Bob Johnstone's excellent compendium of Studebaker knowledge. http://studebaker-info.org/
      Have you looked for it there?
      Can you imagine how laborious our forum discussion index would get if all the technical tips were to be "stickies" on the forum opening page?

Comment

I have retitled this thread so that readers can more easily respond to what the poster is seeking

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I believe the shop manual adequately covers that step by step. I've just completed a removal and installation on a much maligned '63 after a wiring harness rebuild. I wouldn't consider it difficult, but somewhat trying to access some of the fasteners and connectors. I think it was easier when I was in my 40's rather than the 80's. Definitely start by removing the front seats, steering wheel and column. Don't expect to complete it on a weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            I found out it was the subject of a long how to in Avanti magazine.........what year, have no idea?
            The how-to article was titled: "A New Dashboard for His Avanti (and Yours) " by Nick Berger in Avanti magazine Issue #92 (Summer 1995), beginning on page 8. It is a rather long article but Nick points out the tools you will need and preparation, including reading or copying the pages from the Studebaker shop manual.

You could also read the Dash Pad replacement article by Dick Shurson in Avanti Magazine Issue 119 (Spring/Summer 2002), beginning on page 33. It deals mostly with replacing the dash pad, but also covers the dash removal.
            Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

One of the things I did on my Avanti when replacing the dash was to drill out the rivets which hold the bottom of the fiberglass dash to the steel cross member. That alone made the entire process much easier. I could then mount the cross member loosely, then fit the dash with the upper studs located and "in it goes". Then I use small screws and nuts to secure the bottom of the fiberglass to the cross member. (just be sure to drill out the rivets, slightly oversized, so you can get the screws and nuts in place.
              This may not be for everyone, but it worked out great for me. I will never own or build a show car so I don't worry about losing points cuz the rivets are replaced with screws. If the Avanti's ever get valuable enough someday, then someone will fix this little problem I've created. In the mean time, it makes the in and out of the Avanti dash about a 45 minute job. Very handy for me.
              sals54

Comment

Not totally true, I know Nick and the car in question, but this was not the article I was referring to.......the author was a man named Nils.

Comment

Ok I found it!!!
                  Avanti magazine issue number 82, Winter 1992......"How to painlessly remove your Avanti Dashboard." The article runs four one side pages. Written by S. Nils Straatveit. With pictures, excellent step by step of the how to.

Comment

Agreed Bill. I just went through this myself, I followed the manual step by step.

One mod I made was to slot the 4 holes at the base of the windshield to allow the dash to shift rearward. I also noticed that either the tach or speedo interfered with the windshield frame, I relieved that area as well while the dash was out.

It turns out I need to get back in there, I think I'll follow Sal's advice about drilling out the rivets.

Ken

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                    I believe the shop manual adequately covers that step by step. I've just completed a removal and installation on a much maligned '63 after a wiring harness rebuild. I wouldn't consider it difficult, but somewhat trying to access some of the fasteners and connectors. I think it was easier when I was in my 40's rather than the 80's. Definitely start by removing the front seats, steering wheel and column. Don't expect to complete it on a weekend!

Comment

Working...
                    X