Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answer to TrevB's Frost & French Question on an Old Closed Thread

Here is the Post by New Member Trev in Berwick, Victoria, Australia:

"Hi Bill, Rich and all, have thoroughly enjoyed reading your recollections about Frost & French. Today I received from the Studebaker National Museum the documentation for my 1964 Daytona HT, 64V-6004, 259, floor shift auto, white/red, and shipped from South Bend Sept 17, 1963 to Frost & French. I'm trying to locate a photograph of the dealership at the time, any information appreciated. My HT spent its life in CA then in the mid 90's it went to AZ. Apparently F&F fitted the air con, did F&F offer dealer installed air con? cheers"

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Trevor! Your Daytona sounds like a great Car.

Sorry, I do not have any Pictures that I know of that are easily found and Post-able.

I always wanted to try to search the Los Angeles Times Archived Articles and Photos for some, but have not.

To answer your other question, Yes most dealers did install Heaters, Radios, Air Conditioning and all Accessories before or after a Sale.

I am pretty sure Frost and French would have, even if they had to send the Car to a A/C Shop for charging the system.

They were very Frugal and Business smart, so an attainable Buck would be just that!

Note: Unfortunately, this post was on a 10 Year Old now Closed Post that, I guess should not be Posted upon. Sorry about that, I was not able to answer there.

UPDATE: Here is the Link to the Original Post for reading the info, not Posting on:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....h-plate-frames
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

I guess the system must automatically lock an old thread. Like thousands of other Studebaker owners I drove up to Frost and French from San Diego while in the Navy to buy parts for an ultramatic transmission in 1975.
    Charlie D.

Comment

Maybe some more information on Frost and French...

In the other thread I mentioned the '62 GT passed to me by my late aunt came with a stack of receipts. She saved every one. Their number is substantial because she was fastidious about squeaks and leaks. (I know, right?)

The F&F receipts began with the initial Bill of Sale in 1970. The last one from F&F was in October 1975.

Later 1974 receipts have the 230 S. Western Ave. xxxxxx'd out with 248 S. Berendo St. typed in above.

From March 1976 to July 1978 the receipts change to E.& L. Auto Service at 531 So. Rampart Blvd., specializing in Studebaker, Avanti and Packard. The names of the owners were Eddie Salazar and Lambert Maldonado.
      IIRC, she mentioned they worked at Frost and French and opened their own shop after F&F closed.

The first F&F thread was such a nice timeline of the dealer, so I was curious if any other SoCal drivers could confirm the E.&L. connection.
      Last edited by Andy R.; 07-24-2019, 11:31 PM.
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Ed is still in the 3 story building, but is getting ready to retire. Still driving his Avanti too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
          Maybe some more information on Frost and French...

In the other thread I mentioned the '62 GT passed to me by my late aunt came with a stack of receipts. She saved every one. Their number is substantial because she was fastidious about squeaks and leaks. (I know, right?)

The F&F receipts began with the initial Bill of Sale in 1970. The last one from F&F was in October 1975.

Later 1974 receipts have the 230 S. Western Ave. xxxxxx'd out with 248 S. Berendo St. typed in above.

From March 1976 to July 1978 the receipts change to E.& L. Auto Service at 531 So. Rampart Blvd., specializing in Studebaker, Avanti and Packard. The names of the owners were Eddie Salazar and Lambert Maldonado.
          IIRC, she mentioned they worked at Frost and French and opened their own shop after F&F closed.

The first F&F thread was such a nice timeline of the dealer, so I was curious if any other SoCal drivers could confirm the E.&L. connection.
          F & F didn't close after E & L was formed. Walter Bibens wanted to get out of the mechanical end of the biz due to all the new Bureau of Automotive Repair restrictions.

So F & F moved to a former refrigerator repair shop at 838 S. Alvarado and just sold parts. Walter told me one day when I stopped by..."I should have done this years ago."

Comment

Mal was the tune up guy, he had replaced the former tune up guy (I can't recall his name) who had a bad heart.

Mal drove a 240Z .. I seem to recall that Mal later opened his own shop in Wilmington.

Comment

Yup, I started that other thread. Eddie is looking to retire, and wants to unload his parts, so if anyone wants anything, the images and his phone number are listed here

I bought some stuff from him, and he was reasonable on price. Im pretty sure he just wants to unload his parts.
              He is also looking to sell his Avanti II, HOWEVER, he did a lot of custom body work to it (which I dont necessarily like), and I think he wants more for it than its worth (in my opinion). I dont have any pictures of the Avanti II.

I am happy to stop by and take more pictures or help to get parts out of there if someone wants something- I dont want them to get scrapped, and I have no personal stake in making a profit or anything- just helping out.

Comment

One more to add to the Registry!
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Here is the Post by New Member Trev in Berwick, Victoria, Australia:

"Hi Bill, Rich and all, have thoroughly enjoyed reading your recollections about Frost & French. Today I received from the Studebaker National Museum the documentation for my 1964 Daytona HT, 64V-6004, 259, floor shift auto, white/red, and shipped from South Bend Sept 17, 1963 to Frost & French. I'm trying to locate a photograph of the dealership at the time, any information appreciated. My HT spent its life in CA then in the mid 90's it went to AZ. Apparently F&F fitted the air con, did F&F offer dealer installed air con? cheers"

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Trevor! Your Daytona sounds like a great Car.

Sorry, I do not have any Pictures that I know of that are easily found and Post-able.

I always wanted to try to search the Los Angeles Times Archived Articles and Photos for some, but have not.

To answer your other question, Yes most dealers did install Heaters, Radios, Air Conditioning and all Accessories before or after a Sale.

I am pretty sure Frost and French would have, even if they had to send the Car to a A/C Shop for charging the system.

They were very Frugal and Business smart, so an attainable Buck would be just that!

Note: Unfortunately, this post was on a 10 Year Old now Closed Post that, I guess should not be Posted upon. Sorry about that, I was not able to answer there.

UPDATE: Here is the Link to the Original Post for reading the info, not Posting on:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....h-plate-frames
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Thank you Rich, Bill and all for the feedback, appreciated, cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X