64 GT tach sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 64 GT tach sticking

The tachometer needle in my 64 GT Hawk is sticking. Are there any instrument repair places that can properly open this thing up, lubricate it and then close it back up? I have pryed open smaller gauges and speedometers before, but closing up the flange afterwards leaves them looking pretty bad! Since the tachs are very rare, I'd had to mess this thing up!

My luck with these places runs from bad to worse. Auto insruements used to do a decent job but the last tach I sent took nearly a year. Don't use Bob's! Swap meet? Parts wanted on forum?

Comment

Assuming you don't have a mechanical tach, there is nothing in the tach to lubricate. By sticking do you mean it goes up to about 1500-1800 rpm and stops? If this is the case, it's either RF interference, or the electronic control unit has gone bad, or both. You can test the Tach "head unit" itself. For every 1 volt DC it will move aprox. 1500 rpm, the full range will take 3.9 volts.

1962 tach:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_121327.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1728819
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I have seen the magnet ring hit the moving coil. It usually happens about 2000 rpm point on the dial. You have to leesen the screws and re-adjust the ring to clear for full sweep.
          I do gauges all the time.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_141924_resized.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1728820Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170214_171947394.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1728821
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'd suggest you send it to Brad. He is a master at restoring gauges. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I have seen the magnet ring hit the moving coil. It usually happens about 2000 rpm point on the dial. You have to loosen the screws and re-adjust the ring to clear for full sweep.
              This is the problem I had on my 62 GT.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

How do you open them up cleanly, and close them?

Comment

I made tools to close them back as close to original as possible, NEVER tap or HIT an instrument to fold over the bezel. They were designed to be rolled on, and that is exactly what I do, a hammer is never in the equation.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    I have seen the magnet ring hit the moving coil. It usually happens about 2000 rpm point on the dial. You have to leesen the screws and re-adjust the ring to clear for full sweep.
                    I do gauges all the time.[ATTACH=CONFIG]82565[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82566[/ATTACH]
                    This is exactly what happens with my tach. stops at about 2100rpm.

Comment

Working...
                    X