No announcement yet.

No Park on 3 Speed Automatic Transmission '58 and Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: No Park on 3 Speed Automatic Transmission '58 and Later

I have the wheels off the ground and have disconnected the linkage at the transmission. With me and and the car is super safe mode, I am able to get N, 2, 1 and R but can't get P (park). At one point I was in park as I tried to rotate the rear tires and they would not move. Other than that one incident I have not been able to find park. Anybody have an idea why no park? Thanks, Chet

My first guess would be a broken park pawl.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, if you are sure linkage is adjusted properly and it is actually going into park, the parking pawl is broken.

Comment

Don't panic yet. You may need a little more leverage than you're giving it. Don't break it, though. But try a bit more oomph before you give up.
        Its unlikely that you were able to find park at one point while the car was up in the air, then broke the parking pawl while it was not in use and off the ground.
        Another possibility is the linkage is somehow out of whack when the car got put up on jacks. Did the linkage bind up in any way while jacking the car? Did you lift it corner by corner? Some serious flexing can occur on some, depending on where you jacked the car.
        Or disconnect the linkage at the trans and try to get it into park manually.
        Unless I'm missing something in the sequence of events.
        Or did you accidentally put it into P for passing gear while speeding around that slow poke Hellcat?
        sals54

Comment

Our '52 Commander still has no working park in the trans and I have not dealt with it yet, just trying not to park on unlevel ground and using the parking brakes. I can attest to the flexing as I have discovered that if the Commander is jacked up by any point except center front or center rear the doors won't open. And the body and frame are solid, not weak from rust either.
          thom

Comment

So does anyone have a procedure for replacing the parking pawl if it is indeed broken? I have a similar issue.

Comment

I hope someone can answer Mrs K Corbin's comment favorably. I sure hate having to pull the tranny and tear it apart...an expensive undertaking to say the least. In reading the comments I gather it is okay to drive the car and not tear up the transmission...yes/no!

Comment

Remove the throttle pressure rod at the pin that holds it. Now remove or adjust the shift rod so it gets all of the gears, then put the throttle pressure rod back on AND adjust it so it is not 'pulling hard. It should just hook up without too much pull on the lever. You are almost there! .

If there is too much 'pull' on the throttle pressure rod , it keeps the trans from going into 'park'

Comment

I've never changed a pawl myself.
                  I believe the Borg Warner automatics developed for Studebaker eventually morphed in to the flight-o-matics, and flash-o-matics, so the pawl operation is pretty identical in most models.
                  Here's a quick video on the operation of the park pawl.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

S WOW!! I followed your take on how to find Park and it worked. I do have P after all. I am not sure the transmission starting off in 2nd is shifting to the next higher speed which I understand is adjustments to both throttle control and throttle release rods. It is nice feeling to not have to pull the transmission. Many thanks to all who offered their thoughts. Chet

Comment

No problem. Now check all the nuts and bolts are tight, and adjust the throttle pressure per the book. It may drive like it is, but check it or you WILL be rebuilding it down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                        Our '52 Commander still has no working park in the trans and I have not dealt with it yet, just trying not to park on unlevel ground and using the parking brakes. I can attest to the flexing as I have discovered that if the Commander is jacked up by any point except center front or center rear the doors won't open. And the body and frame are solid, not weak from rust either.
                        You car has a different style of transmission than the one being discussed here.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This may indeed be my problem, as my throttle pressure rod where it attaches to the bellcrank is a home-made affair.
                          I'll have to look into this when I get the time.

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          Remove the throttle pressure rod at the pin that holds it. Now remove or adjust the shift rod so it gets all of the gears, then put the throttle pressure rod back on AND adjust it so it is not 'pulling hard. It should just hook up without too much pull on the lever. You are almost there! .

If there is too much 'pull' on the throttle pressure rod , it keeps the trans from going into 'park'

Comment

Working...
                          X