Thread: Iola,WI Swap meet

Iola,WI Swap meet

Went to the Iola WI swap meet on Thursday. Supposed to be Studebakers there as well. Only saw two venders that had much of anything to do with Studebakers.

Speedster Member
    I learned last year in South Bend that there was going to be a special Studebaker booth at Iola for 2018, so I set up a watch list for it when I hit the Iola grounds for 2018. I have been going to Iola since 1976, it changes (grows, shrinks, follows the HOT trends, keeps some of the old standards, etc.), last year I stumbled into the Badger Land Stude chapter (I think ?) and it was the 1 st time they tried having a Studebaker specific space. I bought some non Studebaker items (quad-ra-flush carb's, several instruments ), maybe they did not sell enough to pay the space rent. I was there all three days ( only a two hour drive from Door County ), the show, car coral and parts sellers seemed as usual. Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    If I am correct, the Studes will be featured in a special display on Saturday which is today. It started at 9:00 this morning. You can probably get hold of Terry Frye for details at 608-698-1771. The Wisconsin Region SDC has been doing this for the past few years and have had lots of positive feedback. Bill

President Member
    I was there today, kinda disappointed, there was only about a dozen Studes in the special parking area and four or five in the building. About six or eight spread around the show. Found no swap vendors. Still had a very good time. Weather cooperated for a change!- Jim

Jrlemke That was my thoughts. The guy I was with found some light up signs to buy but other than that a day of my life I will never get back.

President Member
    I miss the Stude only swap meet in Sept in Menomonee WI. and before that in Hudson, WI.- Jim

Speedster Member
    My swap meet vending buddy and I had around 75 Studebaker dealer and factory memorabilia items for sale in our IOLA swap meet sales tent this year. We don't do parts...just original auto, gas, and oil memorabilia pieces. Sales of the STUDE items were good, so at least SOME of the Studebaker guys found our spaces (right on the lower blacktop road)! Anyone who comes to IOLA next year will find our goodies in spaces BU 37 to BU 40.

By the way, as a vendor at IOLA for over 30 years, I've seen the number of swap spaces containing actual old car parts for any make decline dramatically. I'm sure many of you have noticed this at other events across the country. As we can surmise: Inventories of both NOS and used old car parts have been depleted a fair amount over the years, long-time vendors have aged or departed this earth, no or at best, few, younger people having an interest in vending, and finally, the internet has meant guys don't have to tramp from swap meet space to space in hopes of finding the old car parts they want. John
    Last edited by Jolly-John; 07-14-2019 at 12:28 PM.

President Member
    I agree with you on all counts John! But, where's the fun? -Jim

President Member
    I too miss the WI swap meet. Would it be that much trouble to organize one???

I'm not sure how it works in WI but in MN even if you have a swap meet at a car show the state wants you to collect sales tax on anything sold at the car show and send it to the state but they don't pay you to have someone do that. Which is why a lot of car shows won't allow a swap meet. It would be nice to start a Studebaker only swap meet again and make it cars and parts only and not turn it into a flea market where people are selling garage sale junk.

Working on it

Quote Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
    I'm not sure how it works in WI but in MN even if you have a swap meet at a car show the state wants you to collect sales tax on anything sold at the car show and send it to the state but they don't pay you to have someone do that. Which is why a lot of car shows won't allow a swap meet.
    A few years back the Oklahoma Tax Commission sent a crew of employees to the Chickasha swap meet to pass out tax forms to vendors. They used a golf cart, and stopped at each vendor, handed them the form, and instructed them to report their sales and submit the tax.

Behind them, in another golf cart, were members of the sponsoring club, with trash bags, collecting the blank forms.

Dave Lester

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    At most swap meets here in Georgia, the vendors get a sales tax form when he registers. He's supposed to use to send the taxes he collects to the state. Since I use my real name on this forum, I won't say what I do with that form.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Champion Member
    Bill thanks for the kind words. As I am in charge of the Studebaker show in Iola I had a very low reponse from our members in the Wisconsin Region Chapter and none from the Badger Wheels. This was our 5th year for showing our cars at Iola. I started working with the staff at Iola which has been very supportive of our club showing. The last few years the Iola staff has announce over the speaker that the Studebaker club was present and we had a overwhelming flock of spectators around our cars all day. I put an 1/4 page ad in the June issue page 5 of Turning Wheels plus the ads in the Spokesman but got very little interest. Most of our members are past 70 and when they have to drive 3-4 hours to get to Iola they have second thoughts. There are very few motel rooms in the area due to the large number of people in the area. If anyone has some more suggestions please let me know. Thanks for the support. Terry

President Member
    Every year I say I am going to make it and then something comes up. Hopefully next year. I hear it is huge.