Thread: Michigan Central Station being rebuilt

Michigan Central Station being rebuilt

Here's a great article from the BBC on the glory, death and ongoing rebirth of Detroit's Michigan Central Railroad Station, which is coming back to life thanks to Ford. I know many of us here are railroad fans as well as Studebaker fans, so I thought you might find this interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Knx...entral_detroit

Studebaker-related content: spot the Stude in this photo of the building's street entrance, ca. 1955 (OK, not that hard to spot ). This photo appears in much larger size at the top of the linked article.

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Wow. I thought I would take a quick look at it, but ended up reading through most of the article, and pictures. It's a great thing that Ford is doing with the purchase, and remodel. Projects like this one could bring the people, and new life, back to the city of Detroit. It certainly needs it.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Great article, Clark; thanks for the post. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yes, thanks very much.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 07-11-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

I remember an article in a 1988 Time magazine mentioning its closure by the railroad, with a caption below a then-current photo of station about it being a 'crack house in the making'. I guess for 30 years they were probably correct. It's too bad it sat abandoned for those 30 years, open to the elements before it got renovated.

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    Thanks for posting Clark. The BBC does a nice job on things like this.

Silver Hawk Member
    It's a good thing that Ford is doing but even better is Dan Gilbert's efforts with many different projects that will provide upscale housing and business location back into the city. Thank Quicken and Rocket Mortgage for a lot more investment than Ford. Detroit will be much better for these efforts.

Bob
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I remember an article in a 1988 Time magazine mentioning its closure by the railroad, with a caption below a then-current photo of station about it being a 'crack house in the making'. I guess for 30 years they were probably correct. It's too bad it sat abandoned for those 30 years, open to the elements before it got renovated.

Craig
    Indeed it was, and for at least a decade now photos from inside the building have been posted on urban-exploration websites. It's especially depressing to see what happens when the copper miners rip all of the pipes and wiring out of the walls, or when vandals smash tiles or terra cotta just for the fun of it. A lot will need to be fixed and re-created, but I'm sure glad they're doing it. Bodes well for Detroit.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com