Thread: Delco window type 8 cylinder distributor

Commander Member

Question Delco window type 8 cylinder distributor

Can any one please display a picture or accurate diagram of a Delco window type distributor for a 61 259 with #1 hole clearly labelled? I know the firing order. Every diagram I have found shows number one in the middle at the front. But my distributor has a hole on either side of the middle. Which one is #1?
    Last edited by oldguy_46ca; 07-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
    Can any one please display a picture or accurate diagram of a Delco window type distributor for a 61 259 with #1 hole clearly labelled? I know the firing order. Every diagram I have found shows number one in the middle at the front. But my distributor has a hole on either side of the middle. Which one is #1?
    I found this image for a Chevy. Is the Studebaker the same?Chevrolet-Impala-5.7-1972-3.JPG

Speedster Member
    Studebaker rotates counterclockwise. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Commander Member
    OK, thanks. Now which hole is#1?

OK, thanks. Now which hole is#1?
    Odd cylinders are on the left and even on the right - numbered as above - putting #1 left front up next the battery. Good luck.

Mine falls in the middle like the diagrams that you found. If the distributor is dropped in one tooth off it could be to the right or lrft of middle. The middle is just the normal spot. Number one could be any location on the cap, depending on where it was dropped into the block, with number one piston on firing position.

Commander Member
    As you look at the engine from the front, the distributor is at the back and the odd cylinders would be on your right and even on the left wouldn't they be?

Commander Member
    I guess I'll be pulling plug number 1 and getting that piston to TDC and noting where the rotor points.

Silver Hawk Member
    As you look at the engine from the front, the distributor is at the back and the odd cylinders would be on your right and even on the left wouldn't they be?
    Left and right are as viewed from the driver's seat.

I guess I'll be pulling plug number 1 and getting that piston to TDC and noting where the rotor points.
    When you are close to TDC, look to see where the IGN is on the crank - when it lines up with the timing point, the rotor should be pointing directly at the #1 plug. Good luck.

Commander Member
    Thanks. This is all because I naively thought there would only be one possible position for the #1 wire and that it would be in the owner's manual or readily available on some spec sheet. The old cap had all the wires positioned correctly but I pulled them out without making note of their positions.

The old cap had all the wires positioned correctly but I pulled them out without making note of their positions.
    Look at it as a learning experience. The next thing you disassemble, you will pay closer attention.

The best way is to place the new cap next to the old cap and replace one plug wire at a time.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Always great to ask questions and get the information.

My first Studebaker was in college with a 62 V8. I thought I would be smart and do a tune up on my own. When I tried to start it, it kicked, back fired and did nothing close to starting. My step-father came out in the drive way to see what was wrong. When I told him that I had put the spark plug wires on in order - 1-4 down the left bank, and 5-8 down the right, he almost swallowed his cigar because he was laughing so hard...

Lots of extremely knowledgeable people (minus yours truly) here to answer questions, so ask freely. Good luck.

President Member
    Please remember that Stude distributors turn counter clockwise.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Commander Member
    Instead of left and right we should use passenger side and driver side, like starboard and port. Though please note: this was not my issue.

President Member
    Instead of left and right we should use passenger side and driver side, like starboard and port. Though please note: this was not my issue.
    NO, Left and Right is better. We have plenty of people here that drive Studebakers with the steering wheel on the Right. So Driver's and Passenger's side is not a good reference nomenclature.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Here is the right document.
    Nice day to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedster Member

As usual it is best if you find where TDC for #1 cyl is, then look where the rotor is pointing to on the cap. The Vac advance should almost be perpendicular to the crankshaft and pointing to the right side.

This illustration shows #1, one clockwise from the forward clip, or right of center..

Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    Always great to ask questions and get the information.

My first Studebaker was in college with a 62 V8. I thought I would be smart and do a tune up on my own. When I tried to start it, it kicked, back fired and did nothing close to starting. My step-father came out in the drive way to see what was wrong. When I told him that I had put the spark plug wires on in order - 1-4 down the left bank, and 5-8 down the right, he almost swallowed his cigar because he was laughing so hard...

Lots of extremely knowledgeable people (minus yours truly) here to answer questions, so ask freely. Good luck.

1-4 and 5-8 would be correct for a 50's Ford engine like the 272, 292, 312..

TuneUpChart.jpg
    Last edited by SScopelli; 07-10-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Commander Member
    Problem solved. I used the timing marks to get #1 to TDC. My #1 wire is aligned on the left side just ahead the adjustment window. Runs like a top. I used a meter to get the dwell right on. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

Glad that you got it figured out. Now that you've done it, it will be easy next time!