Thread: Interesting perspective on today's social media.

President Member

Interesting perspective on today's social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLJEKhdMfc

There is a lot of truth here.

Speedster Member
    Took 5 minutes out to watch and listen, then copy and broadcast via FB; totally agree with the sentitemts very eloquently expressed in the video
    Richard

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Another very good one Bill! Say's I who just a week ago got my first smart phone. I spend about 1 1/2 hours a day on devises, much prefer to "do" things with my time. Bill

How about this? I ain't got time to watch your video.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Speedster Member
    Well, the guy who made the video has his opinion, and I have mine, and we have differing conclusions. Every day, I ask myself: "What did we ever do, before the net"?

President Member
    Social Media is like billboards posted down roads not many people travel. Or, if they do travel the road, they don't bother to see. The sadder side of social media is that many participate with the expectation of a positive response. And when it often doesn't come it becomes a disappointment.

There seems to be a difference among a few here but we need to separate information on the internet from social media. Receiving valuable information on the internet is a positive venture. Sending out information on social media with the intention of receiving responses that appeal to us is basically begging for attention to fill voids in one's life. We have become a society that looks first to please ourselves and misses out on the joy of helping others.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Well, the guy who made the video has his opinion, and I have mine, and we have differing conclusions. Every day, I ask myself: "What did we ever do, before the net"?
    I agree with that. Do you control it? Or do you let it control you??

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    I quit about one minute in.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Best comment in the comments section...

"SO live real life and cancel this youtube channel. "
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Social media is like electricity. If you’re careful how you use it, it can greatly enhance your life. If you don’t know how to handle it properly, you can get seriously injured.

Facebook is a great example. You customize it to what you want. I have very few individuals that I follow. Mostly it’s because of limited time. I Unfollow people, but not unfriend them; so that when I have time I can go back and check in. Most of what I use Facebook for is educational and professional networking. And I can’t tell you how many times Facebook has helped me to find a good deal on something I was looking for, or sell something I want it gone. The other side of it is not letting yourself get caught up in useless pages, or having your feed clogged up with people who have to post every three minutes. Same with Facebook drama queens in my life, I still love them, but I’m not going to read their posts, so I don’t see any of it.

On Facebook you can instantly share pictures, videos, even live video feed right from your phone. Facebook lets me do teleconferencing and instant messages, far faster than you can write an email.

In my opinion, the secret to using social media properly is in the customization. Unfollow people you don’t want to see, or just don’t accept their friend request. Seek out pages related to your interests, like the Studebaker addicts page, and block out the rest.
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-11-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    Some of my family and friends accuse me of being a hermit, due to my non participation on social media. My exposure on the internet is limited to a handful of forums such as this, and even that is fairly limited. My phone, even tho its a "smart" phone, is a tool for my job, and I even actually use it as a phone. i use my laptop more for work also,occasionally for entertainment and for reading on the forums I belong to.

I also have better things to do than sit in front of this screen; cars and trucks to tinker on, motorcycles to ride, life to live.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

I didn't use to have many pals from real life on surfacebook since I met them most days anyway, nowadays I've changed it the other way around as in not having many friends I've never met in real life.
    As if that matters to anyone else but me...
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
    Some of my family and friends accuse me of being a hermit, due to my non participation on social media. My exposure on the internet is limited to a handful of forums such as this, and even that is fairly limited. My phone, even tho its a "smart" phone, is a tool for my job, and I even actually use it as a phone. i use my laptop more for work also,occasionally for entertainment and for reading on the forums I belong to.

I also have better things to do than sit in front of this screen; cars and trucks to tinker on, motorcycles to ride, life to live.
    I also have been accused of being a hermit. The thing that strikes me about this thread is that we are all pretty different. It would not occur to me to discuss my daily activities or (rare) accomplishments in any public forum unless it was particularly relevant to someone else's problem. Otherwise, why would anyone care? I believe that Bob Andrews' life style, occupation, etc lends itself to the use of social media -- but I never had a job or situation where personal contacts would have helped me get ahead or learn about new opportunities.

When one enters geezer-dom, one has to decide where to invest one's time. I still have two vehicles to finish, I have a huge stack of books to read, and I understand that the breweries are still in production.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 07-11-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post

When one enters geezer-dom, one has to decide where to invest one's time. I still have two vehicles to finish, I have a huge stack of books to read, and I understand that the breweries are still in production.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    It would not occur to me to discuss my daily activities or (rare) accomplishments in any public forum unless it was particularly relevant to someone else's problem. Otherwise, why would anyone care?
    Don't use any social media. Why would I? I don't care whether someone has taught his dog a new trick, painted his barn, or discovered a new recipe for pasta salad. And I'm certain virtually no one cares about what I do every day.

I'd rather spend time with people I know and care about face-to-face. One true friend is worth a hundred or a thousand virtual acquaintances.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnormanh View Post
    I'd rather spend time with people I know and care about face-to-face. One true friend is worth a hundred or a thousand virtual acquaintances.
    A 'friend' is someone you call to go your bail. A 'true friend' will be sitting beside you, saying "Damn, that was fun!".
    You're not going to find either of those on social media.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Finally got around to watching this. Interesting; 'hard to disagree with the presenter's premise.

'Attended the 55th-year reunion of the Paris [IL] High School Class of 1964 two weeks ago. Nice to see so many old friends...and get choked up looking at the photo display board of the 60 Class of '64 members (out of 210) who are now "Forever Young," as the display said, with one small votive candle below the display for each Forever Young person.

To the point of the video posted in this thread, the booklet distributed at the reunion included all the class members with their current contact information, including e-mail addresses. 'Had a good chuckle when I got to one classmate's e-mail address, which was listed as, nodamncomputer@all. I don't know if he has a smartphone, however.

Good link and thoughts, Buzzard; thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Golden Hawk Member
    Bob P. - I believe that your high school class is doing about average. At our 55th, or perhaps 60th, we had lost at least one-third (more since then).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    "Phones that are smart, and people are dumb...." Indeed. Today, I was in the left turn lane & coming the other way but stopped in traffic was a guy in a truck using his 'smart phone.' The traffic ahead of him moved out, he didn't move for 16 seconds with another vehicle behind him! Of course down here no one honks for fear of being shot or beat up so, the following vehicle's driver just waited & waited for this dummy to put the phone down and 'drive again.'
    JimsLeadCommander