Thread: More excellent Studebaker promotion!

President Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar

More excellent Studebaker promotion!

Well, after a couple of months of myself and fellow forum member Paul Burkholder (alias: Maximus) arranging a deal with the Wall Street Journal, we finally got an article about my own Daisy-Mae within the "My Ride" column. Happy days!

If there are any problems with the online article I posted here, just wait for the physical version to come with tomorrow's issue of the WSJ (07/03).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/he-call...s&page=1&pos=1

Here's hoping I can continue to grow and become indespensable within Studebaker-dom. Again, Paul, you deserve a big THANK YOU. This would have not have been possible without you.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Golden Hawk Member
    From the link, I could just read the first two sentences without subscribing or signing in.
    Congrat's. on this accomplishment.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    What modeling agency did you use to find the handsome hipster who's standing next to your car?
    sals54

Maybe some day you will be President of the SDC. Your enthusiasm and and effort is great and the picture is terrific. Well done!

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Champion Member
    Congratulations Jake!

Nice! Great picture!

I saw it on the Studebaker Addicts page today on Facebook. Well done, Jake, and thank you for energizing the SDC with youthful enthusiasm!
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Very impressive! When I was nineteen I had to wait about 9 more years before I got my first Studebaker, which was also a Hawk.
    I wonder what you'll do next.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Great Picture Jake!

How did you get on the Partridge Family's Street, where NO ONE ever parks in the Street?

And Congratulations on a great accomplishment, getting on a Prestigious and popular Website.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Looks like a good cover photo for Turning Wheels. You simply need to convince Ann Turner to rotate the photo layout of the cover 90 degrees.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Jake,

You are an absolute inspiration to those of us with more sunrises behind us than ahead of us! Keep going, I have a feeling you are going to do some big things in your life and we Studebakerites will be all the better for it! Awesome stuff!

Kato

Champion Member
    Here is the nearly full page article with additional pictures from the print version of today's Wall Street Journal. The Wall Street Journal has close to two and a half million subscribers. This is great promotion for the Studebaker brand!

Hawk1.jpgHawk2.jpgHawk3.jpg

Would a Book Store carry something like that Wall Street Journal?

Champion Member
    Some bookstores may sell the Wall Street Journal or a news stand although they are pretty rare these days. The colors in the pictures featured in the hard copy article are brighter than what my phone images show.

I think any Barnes and Noble store will carry the WSJ.

A little more promotion like this and Daisy Mae will be the most famous Studebaker in modern times (except maybe Fozzie Bear's car).
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

One of my people at work presented the WSJ article to Lark VIII girl and she was so surprised and pleased to see the fine pictures and story.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Would a Book Store carry something like that Wall Street Journal?
    The better bookstores and, around here, the upper level grocery stores carry a large newspaper assortment. You will have to be quick because they usually get rid of back issues right away.
    I have had better luck with the local library. They usually keep one week's worth of each newspaper. I have even successfully asked them to keep an issue of a newspaper for me when the week is up.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Very nice! Congratulations, Jake. Thank you for taking up the flag and waving it.
    Mark L

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Way to go, Jake; congratulations!

Given The Wall Street Journal's circulation, you might now be the best-known current Studebaker enthusiast in the world...quite an accomplishment at age 19.

Cool Beans. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Congratulations Jake. However, my grandsons are going to give you a run for that title. A friend left the article from the WSJ in my pickup this morning - nice!

President Member
    Wonderful contribution, Jake. You are our hopes and dreams and a breath of fresh air for the future of Studebaker. With this one article, you have reached more Non-Studebaker people than any of us could ever hope to reach out to in our lifetime.
    I agree the picture of your GT in the street scene is fabulous and deserves a front cover TW feature.
    Thank you for taking up the flag and waving it.
    Best of luck in ALL your future Studebaker endeavors.
    Bill

Speedster Member
    That's fantastic, Jake! Congratulations! Yes, great photos, especially the cover shot!

Yesterday I was at the invitation only car show with my 62 Hawk that was part of the Antique and Classic Boat Show in Gravenhurst Ontario. This is an area of uber expensive cottages and a beautiful lake district about 2-3 hours north of Toronto known as Muskoka. It is one a very few areas in the world that has a well over 100 year history of manufacturing and maintaining the most magnificent wooden vessels ever made.

As I was sitting behind my car I heard a gentleman with an American accent telling his son "this is the car from the article in the Wall Street Journal that I just read, wow, what a beautiful automobile!" Turns out he is from near Detroit and is visiting his in-laws at their Muskoka cottage. He had never heard of a Gran Turismo Hawk until reading the article and then to see mine, well he was obviously smitten and impressed. He is associated with a large show in Detroit that the Ford museum has and wants me to bring the Hawk!

See what an energetic and ambitious young man can do to enlighten the masses! Well done Jake!

20190706_140946.jpg20190706_141109.jpg20190706_141512.jpg20190706_142418.jpg20190706_142536.jpg

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Well done.
    I believe Ma
    tthew has to also qualify as the 'youngest studebaker fan,' because he was driving his pickup at sixteen or so. Also, I believe he had more than a hand in the rebuilding of it as well.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

President Member
    Jake that was awesome! That fact that you "spread the word" in a renowned newspaper with international circulation fantastic! Congrats! And you must feel elated!

Kato, we were at that show two years ago (but not with our car) when Studebaker was a highlighted marque there. Trying to remember what was there - an EMF, a '56 Golden Hawk, an Avanti ll, and a few more - about 6 in total. It is a very cool show!
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

As I was sitting behind my car I heard a gentleman with an American accent telling his son "this is the car from the article in the Wall Street Journal that I just read, wow, what a beautiful automobile!" Turns out he is from near Detroit and is visiting his in-laws at their Muskoka cottage. He had never heard of a Gran Turismo Hawk until reading the article and then to see mine, well he was obviously smitten and impressed. He is associated with a large show in Detroit that the Ford museum has and wants me to bring the Hawk!

See what an energetic and ambitious young man can do to enlighten the masses! Well done Jake!

What can I say except...WOW! I had gotten my Hawk in the WSJ in order to increase Studebaker awareness anyway, and even though I figured it would work out well, it still warmes the cockles of my heart to hear it for myself. Thank you for telling me!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

President Member
    Jake you simply are the very BEST of the younger generation carrying our old and tired Studebaker torch forward into the 21st century.
    I can't think of a better or more deserving recipient of our old torch.
    In my opinion, of our new generation, you are THE BEST !!
    Cheers and lots of success with DaisyMay. Thanks for all you are doing for us all.
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by STEWDI View Post
    Jake that was awesome! That fact that you "spread the word" in a renowned newspaper with international circulation fantastic! Congrats! And you must feel elated!

Kato, we were at that show two years ago (but not with our car) when Studebaker was a highlighted marque there. Trying to remember what was there - an EMF, a '56 Golden Hawk, an Avanti ll, and a few more - about 6 in total. It is a very cool show!
    Roger, I was there with my 62 Hawk two years ago. It was the first year I was invited.There were two Avanti II's, the 56 Golden Hawk, the 1911 EMF and Bob Suzek and his very nice 54 Champion.
    This year our 62 Hawk and the EMF were the only Studebakers although there was supposed to be a nicley restored sedan that did not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    What can I say except...WOW! I had gotten my Hawk in the WSJ in order to increase Studebaker awareness anyway, and even though I figured it would work out well, it still warmes the cockles of my heart to hear it for myself. Thank you for telling me!
    Well Jake I have always believed recognition is due every bit as much as criticism when due and you deserve a HUGE amount of recognition for your efforts to make folks aware of Studebaker! This fellow from Detroit sounded like he had found a lost treasure, he couldn't believe he was looking at a real 62 Hawk. It was very cool. Thanks again for what you have done!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well Jake I have always believed recognition is due every bit as much as criticism when due and you deserve a HUGE amount of recognition for your efforts to make folks aware of Studebaker! This fellow from Detroit sounded like he had found a lost treasure, he couldn't believe he was looking at a real 62 Hawk. It was very cool. Thanks again for what you have done!
    I was buying new cars at the time of Gran Turismo Hawks and didn't buy one. The only people that I knew that bought new 1962-1964 Hawks were of retirement age.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Speedster Member
    Wow! What a great accomplishment to start your career and a major boost for Studebaker fans and young car enthusiasts around the world. I only regret I have but two thumbs for a big thumbs up.

Speedster Member
    Congrats! Make sure to have a copy of that article framed.

Well done buddy

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I was buying new cars at the time of Gran Turismo Hawks and didn't buy one. The only people that I knew that bought new 1962-1964 Hawks were of retirement age.
    I bought a 62 GT in 1964 when I was 23.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    I bought a 62 GT in 1964 when I was 23.
    I was referring to new car purchases. In the 1960s, I bought several Studebakers that were used for one to three years.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Commander Member
    Reproduced the WSJ story and photos as the "Gear Head Tuesday" post:
    https://56packardman.com/2019/07/16/...tudebaker-fan/

... and added a couple of other Studebaker goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Packard5687 View Post
    Reproduced the WSJ story and photos as the "Gear Head Tuesday" post:
    https://56packardman.com/2019/07/16/...tudebaker-fan/

... and added a couple of other Studebaker goodies.
    Much appreciated! Nice to see that work of this caliber goes around and may, in turn, influence a separate community.