No announcement yet.

Important museum announcement on the 21 studebaker indy car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1,105,000 with the premium....a world record for a Studebaker. And over double the estimated low expected price.

Stu Chapman

Comment

• Thanks for the correction Mr Chapman.

Bob

Comment

• What was the final pledged total?
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          What was the final pledged total?
          Just over $120,000.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

• Just over $120,000.
            That's pretty cool.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

• From Yahoo News website:

1931 Studebaker Special Indy Car Touches Off Bidding War

August 17, 2019
              The end result was a world record.

Earlier today during Monterey Car Week, a 1931 Studebaker Special Indy Car set yet a record, netting $1,105,000 at auction. When it crossed the block at the Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auctions, it was already poised to set the record as the most expensive Studebaker ever to be sold. Thanks to an intense bidding war, the price rose well over twice the low estimate, making for an exciting time.

As you might have already guessed, this is far from your ordinary Studebaker. The racer is significant to the history of the brand, having entered the Indy 500 three times. It also won the 1931 Pikes Peak Hill Climb, setting a course record of 17 minutes, 10.3 seconds, which helped to elevate the Studebaker name.

Built by Ab Jenkins and George Hunt, this open-wheel race car looks fantastic with a green coat of paint and white numbers. It uses a 336ci L-head inline 8-cylinder Studebaker engine with four Stromberg downdraft carburetors. Peak output is 205-horsepower at 4,200 rpm. The driver uses a 3-speed manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes to control this car. Also included in the setup is an I-beam front axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs and shock absorbers. The rear live axle also features semi-elliptical leaf springs and shock absorbers.

There have only been five owners of this car, so many have been desiring to own the well-documented racer. It has been with its current owner since 1988. That factor was likely huge during the intense bidding war today.

Among those vying for this Studebaker Special Indy Car was the board of trustees for the Studebaker national Museum, which is based in South Bend, Indiana. They have been soliciting donations for the effort. Many consider this to car to be the most important Studebaker sold in the United States in the last half a century.
              Lew Schucart
              Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

• Ever......
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                X