Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important museum announcement on the 21 studebaker indy car

Important museum announcement on the 21 studebaker indy car

Yesterday the StudebakerNational Museum Board of Trustees at their monthly meeting made the decision to pursue acquision of the 1931 Studebaker Indy Car. This car, as you know, is being sold at the Gooding Auction being held in Monterey CA. on August 16-17. 2019.You can read much of the history of this car on this thread: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?111494-Studebaker-Indy-car-37-to-be-auctioned-Aug-16-17.

This is probably the most importantStudebaker vehicle sold in this country in the past 50 years and is expected to be one of the highlights of this Gooding sale. The sale of this vehicle will no doubt set the record for the highest price of a Studebaker ever sold.With this said, the Board of Trustees, pledged and committed a significant amount of funds for this purchase. However, they do not believe that at this time they have accumulated enough to actually purchase this car. There is a RESERVE on the car which is unknown and that is part of the problem along with the fact that many of these type vehicles are being purchased by overseas buyers and also that none of the other Studebaker Indy cars are available for purchase on the open market. To my knowledge this is the first time one of these cars has crossed the auction block.The Museum Board has asked me to post this to the Forum where many SDC members, friends of Studebakers and others can see it, and ask for your help in bringing this car home to South Bend.I have made a significant pledge to assist in the Museum’s efforts to acquire this car. Now I am asking you to join me, the members of the Board of Trustees and friends of the Museum to help us bring this carback to South Bend.At this time, the Museum does not want Checks, Money Orders or Cash for this project. What they want is a PLEDGE. To participate in this effort all you need to do is email Patrick Slebonick, Executive Director of the Museum at: PSlebonick@studebakermuseum.org. Information to include is your PLEDGE amount, name address and phone number.If the Museum is successful in making this acquisition, then you will be asked for your PLEDGED amount. Please join the Board, friends of the museum and me in making this purchase possible. By the way, the Museum will be present at the Gooding Auction to make their bid hoping they have enough from all of us to make it happen. If you have questions pleaseemail at: keydetsdj@aol.com. and I’ll do my best to answer them.
    Thanks for supporting thiseffort to bring “Ole 37 Home.”
    Last edited by Avantidon; 06-28-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

I hope they get high bid!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

May not be much but I have emailed Patrick with a pledge for a hundred dollars. Hopefully Gooding will give the museum a substantial buyers fee if they are successful in bidding. This great effort to show support anyway you can.
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Why doesn’t the SDC donate some of our funds towards this important car , it seems that we have had around the million $ savings ever since I’ve been in the club the past 30 + years ....why not put a good chunk of that towards such a historic car ......just a thought

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Quote Originally Posted by 2R5 View Post
    Why doesn’t the SDC donate some of our funds towards this important car ...
    I suspect it will; as will many of our financially stable chapters. Much like the restoration of the Woodie, success in these ventures requires that all the eggs come from many baskets.
    And, while the Museum is not soliciting actual contributions at this point, their ability to even sit at the bidding table will depend on their faith in those who will have made a pledge.

Brad, thank you for your post. Your observations are right on. This effort must be a all hands on deck deal. The bottom line is the Museum needs all of our help. Bob what if I told you the SDC will be contributing a pledge amount to be determined. Sure hope you do too.

President Member
    Where did the number 21 come from??? A little hard to read Don, does your spellcheck not work? Thanks for posting this, and thanks to the Museum Board for the decision to pursue this great venture. Perhaps the fund raising could be done as a tribute or in memory of Bob Valpey. My pledge is on my "to do" list!
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarkTruck View Post
    Where did the number 21 come from??? A little hard to read Don, does your spellcheck not work? Thanks for posting this, and thanks to the Museum Board for the decision to pursue this great venture. Perhaps the fund raising could be done as a tribute or in memory of Bob Valpey. My pledge is on my "to do" list!
    JS
    Not a lot, but our $100 pledge has been made.
    J & J Sinclair

Jim,

My fingers are faster than my mind

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Thanks for the information and opportunity, Don. Pledge just made. 'Hope the plan succeeds. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

At the suggestion of one of our members, I am making this thread a Sticky for the time being so that it will have plenty of exposure. Not everyone has the means to make a pledge, but here's hoping that those who can, will
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I wanted to personally thank those who have pledged something. I received a nice note from Patrick at the Museum expressing his gratitude towards this effort. From his note he states...Every dollar could be the amount that helps us bring this important piece of Studebaker home to South Bend.
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Clark, Thank you for making this a sticky. Also thank you Mike, Jim, and Bob for your pledges. Every pledge, regardless of the amount helps and it may these amounts that put us over the top and brings this important Studebaker vehicle home to South Bend.

Speedster Member
    I just submitted my pledge. stupak

Thank you Stuart!!

A lot of folks may remember my Uncle from Dayton, Ohio, Bob Kyvik. He is getting upon there in the years like many and no longer has a Studebaker in the garage. His last one my Avanti R2 now calls my garage home. He also had some doings thru the years with the Museum. I thank him for his nice pledge to towards this effort.

President Member
    Made my pledge this morning. Also got a nice reply from Pat.

Is there any quick way to spread this to SDCers that aren’t on this forum? I’d also like to see the Indy car in South Bend.

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Is there any quick way to spread this to SDCers that aren’t on this forum? I’d also like to see the Indy car in South Bend.
    The only thing I can think of is for those who do participate in the broader social media sites (not me) like Facebook, twitter, etc., could spread the news.
    However, we know there's tons of SDC folks who participate in neither. If it's too late to get an article into Turning Wheels next month, perhaps a loose single flyer could be printed up and inserted along with next month's Turning Wheels mailing. That would be the quickest for those not participating in the computer age.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

It will be in August Turning Wheels which will be mailed on 18 July and we are working on a mass email blast to all SDC members via our new Mail Chimp system. It iwill also be a topic at the July SDC Board meeting scheduled for very early July.

However, the best way to get this message out is via all of you and that is why it was posted here. Ask your local chapters to set up and pledge. Paste and copy my original message in a mesage of your own to all your Studebaker friends. We, the members are the best avenue available to get the message out.

Thank you Diesel Jim for your pledge. Mike thank you again for getting your Uncle involved this is the kind of effort that will make this project successful.

The SNM sends out email blasts to members all the time - I get them frequently. But until they do, I will be sending out a special email to members of Midway Chapter urging them to pledge a donation to buy this racer!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Chris, they would prefer we do this as they are using other sources. Thank you for joining the effort to raise pledges to bring this vehicle home.

I know this posted in another thread but it also needs to be here as well.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...ar/?refer=news

President Member
    Keep the history going in South Bend ......
    Last edited by JimsLeadCommander; 07-16-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    JimsLeadCommander

Pretty sure he's busy.

President Member
    Sad to see, that as soon as the name of a politician was thrown into the mix, this subject went stale. Sure hope more of the 700+ viewers of this thread will to step up to the plate and support the SNM with this endeavor. Let's get back to the purpose of this thread. Monitors, maybe it is time to move it from a Sticky to the General Discussion area to get more pledges.
    This car really needs to be in South Bend, not a private collection!
    Happy Independence Day America!
    JS
    Last edited by LarkTruck; 07-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks Jim for the support. You are correct the car does belong in South Bend and if every member of the forum would jump on board and support the Museum we could probably bring it home to South bend. Gooding and Co.h as estimated the sale price between $500 and 750,000. The museum has pledges and funds on hand to bid but not near enough to get above the minimum reserve. They are still searching for funds from friends of the Museum outside of here but need our help. Please leave the politics out of this serious effort to raise the funds needed to get this car to South Bend. Thank you to all who have pledged and to those who will pledge.

President Member
    First of all, Thelma and I will be making a pledge towards this effort,

Second, if every member of SDC pledged just $10 that would result in approximately $100,000.

Third, I will make a call to a contact I have with RM/Sotheby to see if they might consider talking to Gooding & Co about waving both the buyer and seller commissions should the SNM be the successful bidder. In this regard there are probably some SDC members who know someone at Gooding and could approach them directly.

Fourth. people like Jay Leno and Wayne Carini have a love for Studebaker and could possibly help with this acquisition in one way or the other.

Fifth, perhaps Bob Palma could influence Hemmings to promote our efforts repeatedly between now and auction date.

Sixth, if 50 chapters each pledged $500 that would bring in another $25,000.

And if anyone has any more thoughts, I am sure this project will really catch fire.

Stu Chapman

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post

Fifth, perhaps Bob Palma could influence Hemmings to promote our efforts repeatedly between now and auction date.

And if anyone has any more thoughts, I am sure this project will really catch fire.

Stu Chapman
    Consider #5 done, Stu.

Copies to you of my plea to Dan Strohl, who is in charge of what appears in the Hemmings Daily Blog. There is not enough time to get this in a Hemmings print publication, but innumerable thousands of enthusiasts read the Hemmings Daily Blog.

(YIKES: I hope your reference to anything catching fire is not in regard to the subject race car! ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post

Fourth. people like Jay Leno and Wayne Carini have a love for Studebaker and could possibly help with this acquisition in one way or the other.

Stu Chapman
    All good ideas Stu. Let's not forget about our Studebaker Friends Tim Allen and Dennis Gage as well.
    JS

Again, thanks Jim, Bob and especially Stu for jumping on Board with this effort to bring this very important 31 Studebaker Indy Car Home to South Bend!! We have five (5) weeks left to gather enough PLEDGES to make this a reality. My request is simple, please all who can please agree to help in this effort.
    Don

President Member
    The Michiana Chapter has pledged $1500.00. Any other chapters willing.

Thank you Jim for the post. I had an email to that effect just a short while ago. I also had one from a California Chapter which in the process of determining their PLEDGE. I ask each member here of the forum to present to their Chapter this opportunity. It takes a mob to make a mountain. Are you willing to help in this effort? Also the SDC's Executive Committee will be presenting to the SDC Board a proposal to take a significant portion of the Club's Restoration Fund PLEDGE it to this effort as well. Can I ask you to consider making a PLEDGE towards the Museum's effort to bring this car home.

Is Leno still a member of SDC? Or will he be bidding for himself?

Brad, he's not listed in the roster. The Museum is reaching out to friends of the SNM including folks of this nature. That's a good thought. Don

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avantidon View Post
    Thank you Jim for the post. I had an email to that effect just a short while ago. I also had one from a California Chapter which in the process of determining their PLEDGE. I ask each member here of the forum to present to their Chapter this opportunity. It takes a mob to make a mountain. Are you willing to help in this effort? Also the SDC's Executive Committee will be presenting to the SDC Board a proposal to take a significant portion of the Club's Restoration Fund PLEDGE it to this effort as well. Can I ask you to consider making a PLEDGE towards the Museum's effort to bring this car home.
    Don, another possibility is to allocate a plesge from the SNM Capital Cost Committee, if the Museum is not planning on asking for support this year for capital cost items. Bob Henning chaits this committee with Max Gretencord and myself the other members.

Stu Chapman

Stu,

Already in the works. SDC Board will vote on this at their next scheduled Board meeting in the next two weeks. It will be a significant 5 figure number as a pledge. Copshalom Concours is this coming weekend in South bend and some of those scheduled to show cars at this event will also be informed of our (Museum's) effort to bring this car home. Helping spread the word to Canandian Chapters would be a big help if you would do that. I am working on another angle to get to all chapters this week as well.

Speedster Member
    Making my pledge and encouraging WRSDC chapter to do the same.
    james r pepper

Folks here is another attempt to rally the troops to our cause. Let's bring #37 home to South Bend!!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...er/?refer=news

Jim, Thank you for your pledge and for reaching out to your Chapter. This what it takes to make this all possible.