2019 Back to the 50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Back to the 50's

The threatening weather held off and it turned into a beautiful day and evening. It took pictures of all the Studebakers I could get close to. Each was left with a wooden nickel advertising our local chapter. I saw a few that were there for the first time and got to chat with their owners! (I'll be siccing our membership director on them tomorrow). I'm heading back tomorrow to get more pictures.

Great shots Bob, thanks for showing us. I have a couple of pals there, one is with the 55 thru 57 Chevy club. Looking forward to more pics tomorrow. What is in the 53 with the laid back radiator ?

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
      Great shots Bob, thanks for showing us. I have a couple of pals there, one is with the 55 thru 57 Chevy club. Looking forward to more pics tomorrow. What is in the 53 with the laid back radiator ?
      I was just wondering the same thing. "What is in the 53 with the laid back radiator". Looks kike a engine set back ???

Comment

Thanks for the nice pictures.
        That one '53 appears to have its engine mostly in what would be the passenger compartment.
        If it is back to the '50s, why is there a 1961 Hawk there?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          If it is back to the '50s, why is there a 1961 Hawk there?
          My son asked the same question when I said I was driving my 64.
          Attached Files

Comment

I added another 12 cars -- and I know there were at least 5 that I saw and couldn't get to. Just click the original link and the new pictures are tacked on to the end of the album.

The 53 Coupe with the slanted radiator. Yeah... I should have taken a few more pictures of that one. I'll see if I can find it again tomorrow and get some more pictures.

Comment

Bob,
              Great batch of pictures. I always wanted to go to that. Someday......
              Claude
              1936 Dictator
              1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
              1953 Commander Regal HT
              1953 2R5 Pickup
              1947 M16 Truck
              1960 Lark VIII Convertible
              1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
              1962 Champ 7E5 no box
              1962 GT Hawk
              1963 Lark VI 4 dr
              1963 GT Hawk R2
              1964 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

This is back to the 50's week end pictures at the Minnesota state fair grounds, it is a 3 day event and it can take all 3 days to see everything. Being from Minnesota and going to the fair every year as a kid I can tell you this fair grounds is very large and when filled with cars and trucks it can go on for ever. I was back home in 2004 at this time and a friend and I went out on a Sat. and best parking we could was about 6 blocks away in someone garage because their front yard was already full and it cost $20.00. the car was then blocked in when they put cars in the driveway, just about every house in the area was doing this and making big bucks for the weekend. Living here in California the good guys use the Pleasanton fair grounds about 3 time a year for their events and when full there is around 3000 cars and trucks I think one could put this event at least 3 times in the Minnesota state fair grounds, this place is very large and a very busy week end. Cars and trucks come from all over the USA for the weekend. been there done that but it is something every car guy or gal should try and take in once in their life time.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I like the M-series bus and the '48 Champion. The rest ain't bad either.....
                  1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                  1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                  1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                  1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                  1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                  1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

BobWaitz, would it be OK to send your link out to our little club here in Hawaii ? There are a few of us that have Studebakers, some of the guys are at the show up there, and some of the folks think the only Studebaker ever built were the "bullet nosed" ones. Thanks, John

Comment

Sure. We post it on our club's website as well. I just uploaded the last three.

Couldn't find the slanted radiator 53/54 Coupe* today but it was rainy and that car was from Illinois so they might have left already.

*Looks like a '53 grille but the car was registered as a '54 at the event. It's from Manhattan, IL. I'll see if I can locate the owner and get some information on it.
                      Last edited by BobWaitz; 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Thank you sir, I'll wait on the others to get posted too in case Mel, Jim or Lavon shows up in the background, ha !

Comment

The show has a 1964 year cut off date. Keeps out the Mustangs. Last car count I heard was 11,800 registered vehicles.
                          If you can't find enough vehicles that suit your tastes you have to be pretty darn picky.
                          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                            The show has a 1964 year cut off date. Keeps out the Mustangs. Last car count I heard was 11,800 registered vehicles.
                            If you can't find enough vehicles that suit your tastes you have to be pretty darn picky.
                            Thanks for the information. I wonder why they don't stick to 1959 for a cut-off year. It seems like they would still have plenty of cars.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here are some pictures of the event from a fellow I met there. He's a professional photographer and Studebaker fan so he took multiple pictures of 10 Studebakers along with quite a few other cars. Clicking on a photo of a car/truck will take you into a folder with several detail pictures of that vehicle:

Take special note of Gene Bauer's '58 4WD.

Comment

Working...
                              X