A red letter day for my pickup....Maybe not. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A red letter day for my pickup....Maybe not. :(

After a year of working on my truck to get it drive-able and then waiting on paperwork from the estate, I now have tags for my 52 pickup and can begin driving. The first stop will be the gas station and then a little test drive.
    I got turned down last month on my first trip to get the title transferred because they wanted confirmation of the executor of the estate. It took a month to get the copy of the will, but I got it yesterday. The purchase price went over the limit for not having to pay sales tax by $1.00 so it cost me about another $300. If I had realized we were that close the seller would have adjusted the deal. Oh well, I don't care, it is done. What a relief.
    Last edited by 52-fan; 07-06-2019, 06:05 AM. Reason: New information
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

How 'bout requesting that the seller send you a $1 refund? Tell him you want to "FRAME" it and hang it on your wall! That way, you can claim you have a RARE three hundred dollar ONE DOLLAR BILL! Then, when your relatives sell your estate, they can attempt to increase the value of that dollar by claiming how RARE it is along with your RARE Studebakers.

OH...I almost forgot...good luck with your truck! I hope you enjoy it for years as much as I have enjoyed mine!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Happy to hear that you got it all straightened out, and that you're ready for driving. When you stop for fuel, I recommend non-ethanol, if it's available. Your old truck will like it better.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        Happy to hear that you got it all straightened out, and that you're ready for driving. When you stop for fuel, I recommend non-ethanol, if it's available. Your old truck will like it better.
        Yes, there is a station about 3 or 4 blocks from our house that sells non-ethanol. They should be used to seeing our Studebakers there by now. The gas is a lot higher than the ethanol stuff at other stations, but not as high as prices for ethanol fuel in places like California.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
          That's for sure, and I like to add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to each 10 gallons of non ethanol gas.
          If I get stuck using crap gas, then I'll add a quart of diesel fuel to each 10 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            That's for sure, and I like to add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to each 10 gallons of non ethanol gas.
            If I get stuck using crap gas, then I'll add a quart of diesel fuel to each 10 gallons.
            I've heard about doing things like that. Would you explain the science, please?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I got a pleasant surprise at the gas station. The price had fallen 20 cents a gallon since I bought lawn mower gas a few days ago.
              Anyway, as I expected, the drive exposed a few issues to ad to my list. The most obvious was the speedometer needle swinging back and forth.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

"That's for sure, and I like to add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to each 10 gallons of non ethanol gas.
                If I get stuck using crap gas, then I'll add a quart of diesel fuel to each 10 gallons."

....... add some ZDDP and synthetics and pretty soon that ice cream cone costs $20. / cone....
                Its like my friend the temporary gardener said about vegetable gardening and how much it cost to grow 1 nice tomato = $5 / tomato....

Comment

How to remove ethanol from gasoline:

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.bumatai/videos/2073284346305944/UzpfSTE4MDYwODMyOTc6MTAyMTE0NDg3NjI1MzM4MzY/
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video about getting the ethanol out of the gas. Very interesting!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      I've heard about doing things like that. Would you explain the science, please?
                      The MMO adds lubricity to today's gas, which is quite different from the gas we had in the 60's and early 70's.
                      I haven't added diesel yet, but have read about others that have and they report that it keeps the crap gas from boiling so quickly and causing vapor lock problems. It will also add lubricity to the dry gas we get today.

Comment

Fascinating. Thanks guys!
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I am feeling a bit down today. I got my license plate and have been waiting for the new title to arrive. Yesterday a letter arrived from the Office of Motor Vehicles telling me they need more info from Mississippi. I sent a copy of the will before, but now they want a death certificate and Letters of Administration (Whatever that is?).
                          This particular office is called the Suspense Unit and the paper was called a Title Suspense Notice. I had never seen the word suspense used like that. I even did some checking to make sure the letter was not a scam.
                          I guess I am in suspense. I just want to drive my truck.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I had issues getting a title for a truck a few years ago. After sending paperwork back and forth several times, a knowledgeable DMV agent asked me why I didn't just get a "Power of Attorney" for that vehicle/title, allowing me to sign any needed paperwork required by the state. Did that and had my title and tags as soon as the paperwork got to me. It even deleted the sales tax because I was already the controlling person on the title. I didn't ask any questions about the tax, just thanked them and drove away.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            I am feeling a bit down today. I got my license plate and have been waiting for the new title to arrive. Yesterday a letter arrived from the Office of Motor Vehicles telling me they need more info from Mississippi. I sent a copy of the will before, but now they want a death certificate and Letters of Administration (Whatever that is?).
                            This particular office is called the Suspense Unit and the paper was called a Title Suspense Notice. I had never seen the word suspense used like that. I even did some checking to make sure the letter was not a scam.
                            I guess I am in suspense. I just want to drive my truck.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Was this a vehicle purchased in a different state? I don't understand how that would work.
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X