Max displacement for Stude V8??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    The engines which were first-generation OHV8 design contemporaries of the Studebaker and their maximum production displacement:
    Cadillac - 390"
    Oldsmobile - 394"
    Chrysler - 392"

See a pattern there?

jack vines
    Jack, what were the displacements the first year they came out? Were they significantly larger than 232?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

"Digger" Dave Molnar sonic tested the block he chose..

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      When the 289" is bored .060", the displacement is 298.885". That was how the prototype R3s were created. The production R3s were overbored .093" for 304.5", so, if we're beginning with a 3.656" bore +.060", we're up to 3.716" bore for 314.5". That will require sonic testing. Many full-flow blocks won't take that much overbore.
      jack vines
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Jack, what were the displacements the first year they came out? Were they significantly larger than 232?
        '49 Cadillac - 331" grew to 390" by '59
        '49 Oldsmobile - 303" grew to 394" by '59
        '51 Chrysler - 331" grew to 392" by '57

So yes, the Studebaker V8 started small and stayed small.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Another one of those "What were they thinking?" moments.

Oops. I answered that in my first post.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I think the Chrysler hemi got a .5" taller block deck along the way to help incorporate the 392's .28" longer stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
              I think the Chrysler hemi got a .5" taller block deck along the way to help incorporate the 392's .28" longer stroke.
              Yes, for true; Cadillac went to 390" in 1959, but by 1963 the stylists wanted a lower hoodline, so the engineers shortened their block deck a full 1" and kept the same 390", so displacement is a matter of how much money the factory wants to spend on foundry cores and machining center changes.

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM.
              PackardV8

Comment

What Mike said!!!! The cylinder wall is thick but not infinitely so. .080 is the max. My Packard needed to be bored and they went .040 which increases displ to 296cid. I think their 304 was .080 over. The Stude V8 is square (bore essentially equal to stroke) If you were to increase displ. you'd need to mess with the stroke and you'd end up with an under square engine. Guess free advice is worth what you pay for it. formula: pi x 1/2 bore squared x stroke x number of cylinders = cid

Comment

The following are offered only in the interest of accuracy.
                  When we routinely work to .0005", giving and getting the dimensions is crucial.
                  Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                  The cylinder wall is thick but not infinitely so. .080 is the max.
                  Yes, agree, there are limits, however, where they are is unknowable without professional sonic testing and sometimes that's not enough. Even after sonic testing, we once hit an internal rust pit hole at .060". More than .080" is not usually a problem, but it can be there.

On the other hand, we regularly bore pre-full-flow blocks .117", for 308".
                  I think their 304 was .080 over.
                  No, the 304.5" is overbored .09375"
                  The Stude V8 is square (bore essentially equal to stroke)
                  The key word "essentially"; only when bored .060", does the 299" becomes square at 3.625"

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 06-22-2019, 07:56 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Regarding the pre-full flow blocks, is it possible to drill and/or otherwise modify one of those to accept a full-flow filter, possibly remote-mounted? I know I was able to do that with an early OHV six.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      Regarding the pre-full flow blocks, is it possible to drill and/or otherwise modify one of those to accept a full-flow filter, possibly remote-mounted? I know I was able to do that with an early OHV six.
                      Yes, Gord, it's been done several times and someone may be able to provide you a link to the instructions.

JMHO, but when beginning with a freshly cleaned and rebuilt engine, especially those with a closed PCV system, there's very little advantage to a full-flow filter system.

Mike and I will probably have our debate again here. On pre-full-flow builds, where they're not being converted to full-flow, I find definite advantages to retaining the partial-flow/bypass filter system and he doesn't.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jack what can the cubic inch be stretched to with different pin height pistons and off set grinding of the crank and different rods or what ever it takes?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                          Jack what can the cubic inch be stretched to with different pin height pistons and off set grinding of the crank and different rods or what ever it takes?
                          Largest I've ever heard of was 340"; that's with a 3.68" bore and a 4" stroke. The durability at high horsepower stress is unknown, but should make for a torquer of a street engine.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Thanks. yeah, doing that would not be high on my list of priorities, now.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                              Here are a few notes
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Jim McCuan was putting together a stroked, overbored Stude V8 which he claimed came out to 363”. As far as I know it has never ran, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X