Thread: June Turning Wheels

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar

June Turning Wheels

I'm cleaning up my part of the living room for tomorrows get together here and of course that involves removing the year or so's pile of car magazines. In getting together my issues of Turning Wheels, I realize that I can't find a June 2019 issue, which by now I should have. Would someone please post a picture of the June issue so I can look for it or contact Mark Wheeler for a replacement. I've had problems in the past few years with issues being lost in the mail so it could have happened again. Thanks to all who can help, Bill.

President Member
    Good Morning, Bill
    It has a picture of the 1964 Red Daytona which states "STUDE'S 150 MPH LARK R-3". Vol.51, No.6 Get another copy from Mark W. as this is one issue you surely will not want to miss.
    Cheers, Bill

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Here ya' go; it's a beaut! BP

june2019turningwheels.jpg
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks Bill and Bob, as I suspected we have not received this issue so I'll contact Mark and ask him to send us another. I'm also going to contact the post office as this is the 4th time a Turning Wheels has gone missing. It is the only magazine to have this delivery problem out of 6 that I get, I wonder who is reading them instead of us. Thanks again guy's, Bill.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Bill, it might help if you could check with Mark Wheeler at Cornerstone Registration to be sure they have your exact, correct address, including the full, nine-digit ZIP code, rather than the standard five-digit one. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Will do Bob, though I'm pretty sure they do have all 9 digits. Thanks again, Bill.

President Member
    On a connected thread to this post:
    The guy at our post office (noted as they keep my Turning Wheels in a separate drawer so to not crease it) stated " So you are receiving a publication from a company that went out of business 56 years ago?" Unbelievable he said.
    Nice to keep them all guessing about our wonderful marque.
    Bill

President Member
    Many of us wished that Hot Rod had used a photograph of Nels's R3 Daytona hardtop (instead of the dragster) for the cover of their January 1964 issue. So when I submitted this article to Ann for Turning Wheels, I suggested that we do it the way Hot Rod should have done it (in our opinion!). In other words, put a yellow banner across the top with the words "STUDE'S 150 MPH LARK R-3" just like the Hot Rod cover, but with Nels's car under it. Fortunately, Ann did it that way, resulting in the cover you see on the June issue.

55 years have passed since that road test was published by Hot Rod. Over five years ago, I checked with our good friend, automotive writer Tom Shaw, to see if he would write an article about that very car. I suggested that he contact Hot Rod to see if they would be interested in such an article as a 50-year follow-up--a kind of retrospective feature. After all, few performance cars that were tested by major automotive magazines 50 years ago are still in existence and in show condition today. Tom contacted Hot Rod, but they wouldn't give him the time of day, so the next logical step was to run the story in Turning Wheels.

Unfortunately, as Bob Palma has mentioned some time ago, Tom passed away recently from complications of injuries sustained in an auto accident; Studebaker has lost a great friend. Tom was at the Pure Stock Drags the first year we attended (1998); he was so enthusiastic about the Plain Brown Wrapper that he asked if Muscle Car Review could do an article about the car. At that time, Tom was the Editor of MCR. The article appeared in the May 1999 issue of MCR. 'Wish Tom was still with us to see the June issue of TW. Now that I think of it, I wish I had dedicated that article to Tom's memory.

George
    george krem