Thread: Psychic Day...

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Psychic Day...

With God and my wife Cari as witnesses, the following is true:

So today I decide I'm gonna clean out the shop and some storage areas and make a run to the scrap yard with a load of misc. metal and sell it for what I can get for it. Into the Dakota goes the old shop heater, replaced last fall and taking up space since, and piles of old brake rotors and a few drums (not Studebaker) and all manner of misc. metal junk; old pipes, old swing set framework tubing, etc., etc.

Total of 660 pounds weigh in / weigh out on the scales, for which Cari and I got $24.75. 'Happy to get anything; it was all junk to us and we wanted to get things cleaned up a bit. This from a salvage yard on the outskirts of Crawfordsville IN, about 30 miles west of us on I-74.

After we left the salvage yard with the whopping $24.75 burning a hole in my pocket, I volunteered to pay for the pizza we agreed we'd have for dinner; about $9 with tax on an early-week Papa John's internet deal. $24.75 - $9 = $15.75 remaining from the $24.75.

I collect car dealership yard sticks; the wooden ones dealers would buy, have overprinted with the name of the dealership and make(s) of car(s) sold, and give away as advertising reminders. I've now got 38 of them, but none from any Studebaker dealer...yet. Still looking. My rule is to not pay more than $5 each at antique shops and malls. I have no trouble buying them for that, or less. I've only passed on a couple as being overpriced.

There's a fairly big antique store / mall in Crawfordsville called Cabbages & Kings; many vendors. I like to stop there when in Crawfordsville. There's a fancy ladies boutique clothing store right across the street from C&K Cari likes to visit, so we park once and go to opposite sides of the street.

On the way from the salvage yard to that downtown area, I joked about having $15.75 left from the $24.75 and said, "Whadd'ya bet I wind up spending $15 on yardsticks at Cabbages & Kings?" We chuckled about that because the last two times we've been there, none of the dealers had any car dealership yard sticks for any price.

Well, one booth renter had a new pile of maybe 40 yardsticks and happened to be in his booth arranging things. All the yardsticks were pre-priced from $5 to $10. I started going through them and he asked me what I was looking for. I told him car dealership yard sticks and he said, "I should have a couple; I put them in there a few days ago," and started helping me look through them.

I ran across one for $5 and said I'd take it and put it aside. Then I ran across another marked $10 and commented that was too much; I like them but only pay $5, max. He said, "That's OK; you can have that one for $5." So I set it aside. Then I ran across another one marked $10 and repeated my request. He said, "Sure, $5 is OK on that one, too." So I set aside all three yardsticks for a total of $15; those were all the car dealership yardsticks he had...and all that proved to be available anywhere in the whole antique store today!

As I was checking out, I commented to the lady taking my money ($16.05 with sales tax) that we had just left the salvage yard north of town and I had joked to my wife that I'd probably spend $15 on yardsticks at Cabbages & Kings. Just then Cari came in from across the street and I asked her to verify what I'd joked about on the way downtown, which she did.

But I wouldn't have spent the $15 had the booth renter / dealer not been there to approve the discounts; he had to have been there today right at that time, arranging things. I couldn't have spent more if I wanted to because those were all to be had in the whole mall today!

Psychic, I say...

As humorous as that was, it was not the high point of clean-up day.

To wit: For some time, I've had one 1958 Studebaker 14" full wheel cover hanging on my shop wall. I don't remember where it came from, it's been there so long.

An SDCer in Ohio had contacted me a few weeks ago, asking about the correct wheel cover for his 1958 Silver Hawk V8 with standard 14" wheels. I took a photo of that cover and sent it to him so he'd know what he was looking for. To make a long story short, he bought it and I sent it to him; one cover. He reported that it arrived in good shape a couple days ago. He said to be on the lookout for others and I said I would.

When looking for junk to take to the salvage yard today, I went to an area above my garage where I hadn't been for at least ten years and lo and behold, there were the other three wheel covers from that set of four; I had forgotten I had them! I e-mailed the guy who bought the single and asked if he wanted to buy the other three, explaining that I honestly forgot I had a full set or would have offered them in the first place. He replied within the hour that I had "made his day" and said he'd mail a check post haste for the other three. When we got back from the Crawfordsville run, he had again e-mailed to say he had just mailed the check and thanks for keeping him in mind.

Quite a day.
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-13-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: corrected number of 'sticks owned
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob...I have a yardstick from Zacharias Motors...Studebaker Sales and Service if you're interested. I don't know how old it is but the phone number listed on it is simply 4521. No prefix, area code or anything.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Bob...I have a yardstick from Zacharias Motors...Studebaker Sales and Service if you're interested. I don't know how old it is but the phone number listed on it is simply 4521. No prefix, area code or anything.
    Thanks, Bruce. PM sent. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Sounds like a good day! You traded junk, for three new collectibles, and got dinner to boot. Now you have to find something new to hang up where the wheel cover was. I'll keep my out for yard sticks.

Bob, those yardsticks are neat, the only automotive ones I have are Chevy dealers in Harriman, TN and Florence, AL. The one from Harriman is where my Grandfather bought his last car. I also have a blank one from one of the Studebaker dealers my Dad worked at with 16 holes in it...guess what it was used for, ha !

President Member
    I have a bunch of old automotive yardsticks from the 1920s and have no need for them.

$6.00 each.

Just kidding Bob. Those are cool to collect.

Funny thing about those yardsticks: When I go to an antique dealer mall where they have a main desk, I always stop and ask if any dealers specialize in yardsticks.

At one mall, a cute young lady sought to clarify my inquiry by asking, "You mean the ones that are 36 inches long?" Honest, she asked that with a straight face. BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    What a good day!

A fellow on my hometown's Facebook page recently posted that he found and bought a yardstick from Dart Chevrolet-Cadillac, where I about lived. I know we had one in my parent's house at one time, many years back. I was jealous of his find! LOL

RE.: Zacharias Motors, mentioned above. I had a letter opener from Zacharias Motors for a long time, which I remembered buying at York one year. I can't find it now and think I may have taken it to our Ohio Region SDC auction a few months ago, where I thinned out some stuff from my office. I'm almost certain Zacharias Motors was in Mechanicsburg, PA.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bob, I enjoyed your story. Not so much from the Psychic aspect, but how you captured your day with your wife, Cari. So often, after years of marriage, we seem to fall into a routine where days blend in and drone on one after another without much thought and our activities fade to the point of difficulty remembering what happened when? Sometimes, we are fortunate enough to recall a special day and wish we had known, "in the moment," how special the day really was.

Your post captures such a day in which it seems that you and Cari not only experienced such a day, but realized it, "in the moment." I always hesitate to claim any particular day as, "the best day of my life," because I think holding out for the "best day," to be in the future is great motivation! However, having great days as you described here add up to a "life well lived." Having the awareness, and intellect to appreciate it at the moment you are experiencing it...an even greater blessing!

And...not only did you two share such a great day...it was in such a tiny radius of your home. No months of planning, anticipating, travel agents, or exotic destinations. Nope...it all came about from the accumulation of junk, a little effort, and the discards of others...what a treasure!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Good story Bob that I can relate to. My late brother sort of collected old yardsticks also, and most were auto dealers long gone. One special one though was our hometowns Studebaker dealer that closed up back in the late 50's. It's so special because the dealers son is a good friend of our families and the yardstick brings back many good memories every time I see it. I have the collection now and it is one of my favorite collections. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    Good story Bob that I can relate to. My late brother sort of collected old yardsticks also, and most were auto dealers long gone. One special one though was our hometowns Studebaker dealer that closed up back in the late 50's. It's so special because the dealers son is a good friend of our families and the yardstick brings back many good memories every time I see it. I have the collection now and it is one of my favorite collections. Bill
    Good stuff, Bill; thanks.

I'd be more jealous of your Studebaker dealer stick if "Gunslinger" Bruce Blum, above, hadn't offered to give me the Zacharias Studeabker stick he has, in the course of his downsizing!

Thanks, Bruce; it will be treasured. BP

Ayn Rand:

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Your post captures such a day in which it seems that you and Cari not only experienced such a day, but realized it, "in the moment." I always hesitate to claim any particular day as, "the best day of my life," because I think holding out for the "best day," to be in the future is great motivation! However, having great days as you described here add up to a "life well lived." Having the awareness, and intellect to appreciate it at the moment you are experiencing it...an even greater blessing!

And...not only did you two share such a great day...it was in such a tiny radius of your home. No months of planning, anticipating, travel agents, or exotic destinations. Nope...it all came about from the accumulation of junk, a little effort, and the discards of others...what a treasure!
    Thanks, John; you post words of wisdom, well thought and expressed.

Years ago, my son Joe called to my attention George Strait's song, Best Day, and said it reminded him of "home." I still choke up when I hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEZDaVe7G0

He turned 39 last week and was in his early 20s when he sent it along. We didn't work on a Corvette for him for his first car; it was a dark blue 1974 Javelin Six, but you get the idea. And the last verse still brings tears to my eyes, thinking of his Wedding Day. All so true!

Your post reminded me of that song and our relationship, so thanks for the opportunity to think of it again and look it up. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-13-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Ayn Rand: