Thread: a Champ truck I found several months ago?

Speedster Member

a Champ truck I found several months ago?

Several moths ago, when I was just beginning to recover from a serious accident, and not yet able to walk, a Champ truck showed up on Craigslist in the state where I live. I contacted the seller and we texted and e-mailed a few times. He sent me pics of the truck and I liked what I saw. Then I had some complications and was "out of the loop" for a few weeks. Somehow during that time, probably due to something I deleted without realizing it, I lost all the texts and e-mails I had from him except for a couple of pics that somehow survived. I watched Craigslist for a while to see if he listed the truck again, but never saw it or either of the other Studebakers he had offered for sale. I figured the truck and other Studebakers had sold. Now, today, on another site with classifieds I found his Champ truck listed for sale, in a current listing. I am however, reluctant to contact him again, because he must think that I am completely full of it since I "left him hanging" last time. I was actually interested in the truck though, and would still like to have it, just can't quite get up the nerve to send that e-mail. Oh well.
    thom

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Thom, just explain the situation to him. I'll bet he will understand. Sometimes life sends us off on a different direction without notice. Especially when it is health related.
    Glad you are doing better. Go get that truck!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I agree. People lose contact info all the time. I'm guessing that he would like to hear from you, if it gets his truck sold.

Silver Hawk Member
    Agree. The older I get, the more I forget and/or lose -- and then kick myself for doing so.

Speedster Member
    A couple of the pics that I didn't lose. All the parts are with the truck, just not currently attached. The truck would be worth more if it were a V-8 automatic I suppose, but I personally like inline sixes. I hope it finds a good home, even if not with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thom

Silver Hawk Member
    Thom
    I think you dodged a bullet on this one. Lots of V8 auto Champs out there to pick from.
    sals54

Speedster Member
    Rust is always the big question. Cannot see the fenders or cab corners. Otherwise it looks to have had some tlc at some point

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Well, if the price were right, it might be a very nice project. At this point, replacing the engine is the easy part.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Speedster Member
    Rust is not a problem with this truck. The rockers have been replaced. The only other rust was just a little in the very front of the bed floor.
    thom

If you really like the truck,I would contact the seller again.After all, it's for sale again,right? It's like I tell the fellas at work;it's like asking Momma for a little love or the boss for a raise.The worst they can say is no,lol.

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    I agree with Rusty. Give the fellow a call. The worst he can say is, "bug off!" He might turn out to be decent enough to give you a chance also.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

This sort of thing happens all the time. He'll just be glad you are still interested.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    A couple of the pics that I didn't lose. All the parts are with the truck, just not currently attached. The truck would be worth more if it were a V-8 automatic I suppose, but I personally like inline sixes. I hope it finds a good home, even if not with me.
    Is it an automatic six cylinder?

Speedster Member
    No, six with three speed and no overdrive.
    thom

Speedster Member
    Someone on here has responded to his ad so maybe the truck is sold.
    thom

I agree with the other posters here that the seller will be glad to hear back from you.

But I must add one word of caution: There is the possibility, though remote, that the add is a fake, copied from the original and posted by a scammer. Why do I say this? Because of this:

https://saleofcar.com/studebaker-lark-/0100686

This add is a direct copy of the text and pictures which I posted on Craigslist three years ago. IT IS A SCAM.

Therefore, proceed with caution. Caveat emptor.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Speedster Member
    No, in this case I recognize the sellers name, though I would have never been able to remember it otherwise, and I am sure the contact info given is the same as before. I just can't make myself contact him. My biggest fear, being since I never actually saw the truck, live and in person before, if I look at it and find more rust than I expect or other issues and decide against buying it, after all this time, won't that look foolish? Also I can't remember exactly what the price was then and now it's "make an offer". I don't know what the truck's worth. Like I said earlier, it looks like something's going on so maybe the truck is already sold. I found the ad on another site.
    thom

Mike, can't you contact "saleofcar.com" and tell them, or are THEY maybe the Crooks?

That Ad sounds VERY believable and honest, I guess it should, YOU wrote it!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Rich, I tried to contact them once but got no reply. I may try again as I would hate for somebody to get snookered.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

I saw in the ‘62 Lark post you are in VA, so am I. Send me the info and I will contact him for you.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"