Avanti at the Peterson Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti at the Peterson Museum

Nice looking Avanti at the Peterson museum.

Click to see some pics of it and some Hollywood "movie" cars.

Thank you, that's a marvelous collection of vehicles. Much appreciated, Bob

Comment

When I saw it in 2010, I believe it was on loan to the Petersen Museum when they had a Fiberglass-bodied theme, which also included an early Corvette, Kaiser Darrin, Volvo P1900, among others.

Craig

Comment

I cant remember what year it was but they had a reveal of an Avanti that was originally owned by Dick Van Dyke. One of the designers was there in attendance (the tall young guy....Cant remember his name). I had him sign my owners manual. I'm not sure if this was the car shown at that time. I do seem to remember that the Petersen had that car in an auction a few years ago.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Some great cars there! There was an orange Italian looking car, somewhat cobralike that I liked a lot. Also the one off built by a fellow with a hemi and a roof. Great car!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

This Avanti was donated to the Peterson by Wendel Hanks several years ago. This was a top tier show car for many , many years.
            This car left the factory painted in Avanti gold with A R2 engine and a 4 speed transmission. Wendel taught himself how to prep and painted the car black. Wendel was also the editor of the Avanti Magazine for many years.

Bob Caser
            mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
              This Avanti was donated to the Peterson by Wendel Hanks several years ago...

Bob Caser
              Thank you Bob for the information.
              Mr Hanks was at the 2019 La Palma car show and was sitting by the vendors section.
              He had several magazines that featured his Avanti through out the years.

Comment

I think that is a good example of how BAD an Avanti looks in Black.

Black and also somewhat White, just does not extenuate the Body lines and extensive body Sculpturing in that unique Coke Bottle shaped Avanti Body like the Metallic Maroon and the Gold Metallic do.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                  Thank you Bob for the information.
                  Mr Hanks was at the 2019 La Palma car show and was sitting by the vendors section.
                  He had several magazines that featured his Avanti through out the years.
                  I was at La Palma as well,sorry that I missed seeing Wendel. Was he selling Avanti parts, I thought that I bought the last of his parts stash tears ago.

Bob caser
                  mrbobinc

Comment

I also believe the Avanti gold is the best color for for showing the cars best lines. That is why the factory chose to use this color for their brochures. In speaking with car designers including Tom Kellogg the prefer gold or silver as a color to showcase their designs.
                    That being said I still have some basic black in my own garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150121_161948.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1728376
                    Bob Caser
                    mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                    X