Thread: Chevrolet Pickup Question

Golden Hawk Member

Chevrolet Pickup Question

I am consiidering buying a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup. It is a 4X4, 6.0 L V8, AT, leather seats, moon roof, etc.
    The part that I question is related to production. The VIN ends with --100092 and it was assembled in June of 2005. Would this be preproduction/pilot line/show build or just built on the first day of regular production?
    Besides the production query, I would appreciate any other inputs. It has less than 100K miles and appears to be in excellent condition.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-11-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: missing l and added engine
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Curious, why would it matter? It’s just a truck.

President Member
    check for piston slap.... a lot of the V8's encounter that around 30-40K miles...

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I am consiidering buying a 2006 Chevroet Silverado pickup. It is a 4X4, AT, leather seats, moon roof, etc.
    The part that I question is related to production. The VIN ends with --100092 and it was assembled in June of 2005. Would this be preproduction/pilot line/show build or just built on the first day of regular production?
    Besides the production query, I would appreciate any other inputs. It has less than 100K miles and appears to be in excellent condition.
    What is your purpose for buying it?

Are you going to put it to work and use it all the time? Or are you going to gamble on it appreciating in value because it may have a low VIN by keeping it covered and the mileage low?

To me, along with any other Chevrolet/GMC pickup from that decade, its 'just a truck', as Bams states.

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    I think you're past it but be sure to crawl under and look for rusty brake lines. They also tend to rust above the rear wheel well and rocker panels so check that also. They were a comfortable truck and decent power as my guess is it has the 5.3 or 6.0.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Curious, why would it matter? It’s just a truck.
    Just my nature. I am curious about such things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    check for piston slap.... a lot of the V8's encounter that around 30-40K miles...
    The engine sounds good.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    What is your purpose for buying it?

Are you going to put it to work and use it all the time? Or are you going to gamble on it appreciating in value because it may have a low VIN by keeping it covered and the mileage low?

To me, along with any other Chevrolet/GMC pickup from that decade, its 'just a truck', as Bams states.

Craig
    Just to have a truck for occasional use to haul things or pull things. I can't imagine it appreciating, at least in my lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    I think you're past it but be sure to crawl under and look for rusty brake lines. They also tend to rust above the rear wheel well and rocker panels so check that also. They were a comfortable truck and decent power as my guess is it has the 5.3 or 6.0.

Bob
    I forgot to include that it has a 6.0 L V8.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

They are a very comfortable truck. Another thing to look for is the intake gasket. They ran a poly intake, with a silicone style gasket, that failed on many, around 100,000 miles. I changed many of them, and you have to be very careful when you torque them down. Fourteen inch pounds, if I remember correctly. The previous owner could tell you whether it was done or not.

Silver Hawk Member
    I bought an 04 in march. I've put around 3,000 miles on it already & no problems.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Hopefully a rust free example.

Around here, the '99-'02 and '03-'06 GM trucks are disappearing and the ones still on the road usually are showing rusted out wheel arches on the bed or the rockers are going/gone. A neighbor on the next block has a '07-'13 style body and its got rust and peeling paint on the bed wheel arches already. I have seen others of that type the same.

Seems like the 90s era GM trucks held up better with body rust compared to the newer ones.

Jeff in ND