Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Aluminum intake— Factory?

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa.
    Posts
    390

    Aluminum intake— Factory?

    I recently bought another Hawk to restore, a ‘61. Numbers matching 289, but has a stock appearing aluminum intake manifold, AFB style. Has the firing order cast onto it in the normal place, and what appears to be a Studebaker part number cast in also, on the top of the LR runner. 1558691 or 1558591 hard to tell if its a 6 or a 5 in 5th position. No, it’s not just painted silver, it is in fact aluminum. No other writing or numbers on it. What is it from? Anybody seen one? Oh— and just for fun, here’s a shot of the new Hawk arriving at our place 0AC5FF86-5C57-48B0-B7AA-F1E2226DE1E8.jpg
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    29,681

    Thumbs up

    Nice Hawk Kenny! That is the first time i have ever seen an enclosed Trailer that opens on the side!

    Should I start gathering the Engine, Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rebuild Kits?

    An Aluminum Intake must be be a Lionel Stone or other reproduction unless it turns out to have R3 Heads to go with an R3/4 Intake!

    UPDATE: None of the 4 Avanti Intake Manifolds have a Part Number starting with 1558XXX so it is unlikely that Casting number is an R3 or R4, but certainly not proof positive of anything.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-07-2019 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Part Number Check of 1558 5 or 6 91
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member 52-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas, USA.
    Posts
    7,701
    If it is indeed a factory part, it would be rare or one of a kind. My first thought was that it was painted aluminum. I had a man many years ago try to tell me the engine in his T cab was aluminum because it was painted silver. You have enough Studes that your probably have a better idea of what you are looking at.


    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

  4. #4
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,674
    Like most other things of this sort...a photograph...would go a "long" way in helping you in figuring out what you may have for an intake manifold..!

    Mike

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    22,282
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Nice Hawk Kenny! That is the first time i have ever seen an enclosed Trailer that opens on the side!

    Should I start gathering the Engine, Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rebuild Kits?

    An Aluminum Intake must be be a Lionel Stone or other reproduction unless it turns out to have R3 Heads to go with an R3/4 Intake!

    UPDATE: None of the 4 Avanti Intake Manifolds have a Part Number starting with 1558XXX so it is unlikely that Casting number is an R3 or R4, but certainly not proof positive of anything.
    A lot of higher end new cars are delivered in trailers with soft sides. This still protects the cars from weather, vandals, Etc.
    Try sticky a magnet to the intake.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  6. #6
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa.
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    A lot of higher end new cars are delivered in trailers with soft sides. This still protects the cars from weather, vandals, Etc.
    Try sticky a magnet to the intake.
    Guys— it IS aluminum. Absolutely for sure. Magnet won’t stick, weighs half as much as a cast iron one Which I have several of. Previous owner had it painted super-glossy Silver, so if I post a picture, that’s the first thing y’all will say: “Well, it’s just painted silver” which is why I didn’t post a picture
    Ok, Ok, I’ll try to post a picture. But please be assured, IT IS ALUMINUM.
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    29,681
    Just measure the Height of an Intake Port.

  8. #8
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by drrotor View Post
    Guys— it IS aluminum. Absolutely for sure. Magnet won’t stick, weighs half as much as a cast iron one Which I have several of. Previous owner had it painted super-glossy Silver, so if I post a picture, that’s the first thing y’all will say: “Well, it’s just painted silver” which is why I didn’t post a picture
    Ok, Ok, I’ll try to post a picture. But please be assured, IT IS ALUMINUM.
    Kenny,
    I have both original R3 and repro manifolds to compare it to.
    They are definitely noticeable when you lift them, even if painted.

    James
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

  9. #9
    President Member SScopelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,518

    Aluminum AFB intake

    If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end (top), it is the aluminum intake made by Lionel Stone. If there is a "2" its either an R3 or R4 aluminum intake (bottom).



    Attachment 81676IMG_0306.jpgDSCF2816.jpg

  10. #10
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, .
    Posts
    2,032
    "If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end..."

    Here I am, still learning something new!
    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa.
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end (top), it is the aluminum intake made by Lionel Stone. If there is a "2" its either an R3 or R4 aluminum intake (bottom).



    Attachment 81676IMG_0306.jpgDSCF2816.jpg
    Well! You just took me to school! That is so fascinating I actually had to get out of bed, go out to the shop, and look. Sure enough... missing the “2”. So I have a reproduction, which is fine with me. Now I’ll have to remove it and see what the ports look like. Unless, of course, you can tell me and save all the trouble...
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern IL, USA.
    Posts
    980
    I wish these were more available....along with aluminum water manifolds.....I'd love to get some weight off the front springs.
    MikeSal

  13. #13
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bay City, Mi., USA.
    Posts
    7,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I wish these were more available....along with aluminum water manifolds.....I'd love to get some weight off the front springs.
    MikeSal
    Jeff Rice makes aluminum intakes and 3x2stude make aluminum adapter plates to use Chevy aluminum manifolds. Probably tough to find an aluminum water manifold but aluminum radiators are readily available. Bob
    , ,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •