Thread: 1969 GTX 'vert at auction in Northern Michigan

Silver Hawk Member

1969 GTX 'vert at auction in Northern Michigan

There a 1969 GTX being auctioned through the Sheriff's Dept in the Traverse City area. IT's a convertible that was available for viewing for about 6 hours on 6/4/19. It went on auction this morning 6/5 and as of 8:25 PM had 55 bids totaling $48,000. It must be a nice car to get that high that fast with 13 days to go in the auction.

Auction site -http://legacy.mitn.info/scripts/surp...atAuctions.asp

More pictures - https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/05/...oned-michigan/

Wish I had the time to get there to look it over yesterday.

Bob
    , ,

Man, that thing has potential.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Lotsa' questions to be answered from these disclaimers:

Pursuant to the Michigan Vehicle Code, Section 257.252G, the Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office is auctioning a 1969 Plymouth two-door GTX. This vehicle was deemed abandoned on private property and turned over to the Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office.

The vehicle will be sold to the highest bidder. The winning bid amount will be due to Leelanau County Treasurer by 4:00 p.m. on the fifth business day after the close of the auction (June 24, 2019). Payment must be in cash or cashiers’ check. Upon payment and presentation of government issued photo identification, Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office will issue a written receipt and Bill of Sale.

This vehicle is sold as is, without any warranty of any kind and no representations are being made as to the operations status or fitness for any purpose or use for any purpose or as to any characteristic of the vehicle, ANY SUCH WARRANTIES BEING EXPRESSLY WAIVED. The vehicle is missing the battery and it is unknown if the engine is in running condition. The vehicle appears to have been in storage for a number of years. More pictures of the vehicle will be listed on the Leelanau County website - https://www.leelanau.cc/bids.asp - and the Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/LeelanauCountySheriffsOffice/

The pictures show a darn nice-looking car with a car cover, for Pete's sake...yet it was deemed abandoned on private property? And why can't they get a good title for it; how are you going to get something that new titled in this day and age with only a Bill of Sale? (Yes, I know it can be done, but you'd think with their legal connections, they'd get a legitimate title to convey.)

Hmmmm..... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Golden Hawk Member
    That is a nice find. It is hard to believe that a $50K car was abandoned, but I was involved in something similar. It was a 1962 Lark convertible in red with V8. I know the restoration shop owner where the car had been for years. The shop owner contacted me when he was unable to contact the car's owner. Registered letters came back as undeliverable. In the small world of Studebakers, I knew the car and its owner who had died (also his brother). Instead of buying the show condition convertible at a very low price (I was asked to make an offer), I made the effort to contact a son/nephew of the owner (a couple of counties away). He didn't know where the car was until I told him. He went and retrieved it. I have seen him at a car show, with the convertible, since and never got as much as a thank you.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    We've been discussing the title issue for a couple of days. It appears the Michigan Law on these sales allows for a salvage title to be obtained through the SOS office. I don't know what a salvage title means to the value or if a standard title can also obtained but it doesn't seem to be holding the car value down.

Here's a link to the law, I offer no other legal opinions as they are way above my pay grade and well under my interest level - http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-252g

There was also a Tempest Super Duty drag car (1 of 6) that came out of storage unit in Harrision, Mi a few years back that went for over $226,000 on Ebay and changed hands legally.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/10/...s-for-226-521/

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-05-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    , ,

This is a weird situation. Sometimes it happens on abandoned or estate sales. It’s a wonderful car but it’s already at normal high market value for one that’s running and doesn’t have title challenges.
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 06-05-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Besides being a red convertible, it has the base engine for a 1969 GTX (440 cid), automatic transmission, power windows and factory air conditioning. This is an unusual GTX.

EDIT: It is a 440 cid with one 4 BBL and 375 HP that was assembled in Jefferson, MI.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Also a column shift bench seat car. And the mileage claim means nothing.

The GTX was the entry level B-body muscle car, and therefore the least valuable today. Still an awesome car, but already we’ll beyond what I would pay.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post

The GTX was the entry level B-body muscle car, and therefore the least valuable today. Still an awesome car, but already we’ll beyond what I would pay.
    I agree with you on mileage. I believe the miles that I personally put on a car.
    To me, the Road Runner "was the entry level B-body muscle car, " and the GTX was a bit upscale.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    I read somewhere it was actually a Sport Satellite.

Silver Hawk Member
    You have to love any car company that put a 440 CI - 375 HP engine and heavy duty suspension as standard equipment in it's "entry level" car. Bob
    , ,

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    It appears the owner has been found.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-steps-forward

Strange, to me anyway, story. How do you "forget" about a car like this? A rusty 69 Valiant 4 door maybe, but a GTX rag top?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    I read somewhere it was actually a Sport Satellite.
    The Sport Satellite was a fancy/dressed up car, but was not a muscle car as the GTX was. The Sport Satellite, Road Runner and GTX were all based on the same platform.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
    It appears the owner has been found.

Strange, to me anyway, story. How do you "forget" about a car like this? A rusty 69 Valiant 4 door maybe, but a GTX rag top?
    I find your counter example to be strange (to me). I owned a national winning (NCPC) 1969 Valiant Signet four door.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I find your counter example to be strange (to me). I owned a national winning (NCPC) 1969 Valiant Signet four door.
    You didn't note I said "rusty" or "maybe". My "counter example" was intended to be a comparison between the more valuable and the least valuable models for 1969.

And for the record I have owned 2 Valiants: a 63 wagon 225 slant six automatic and a 67 Signet 2 door with the 273 and a 3 on the tree. In total I have owned approx 25 MOPARS over the years, and still have 3. One of the most significant/valuable was 67 GTX ragtop with just about every option except for a hemi (original purchaser wanted AC and you couldn't get that with the hemi). Believe me, I knew where that car was parked for the 17 years I owned it.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
    You didn't note I said "rusty" or "maybe". My "counter example" was intended to be a comparison between the more valuable and the least valuable models for 1969.

And for the record I have owned 2 Valiants: a 63 wagon 225 slant six automatic and a 67 Signet 2 door with the 273 and a 3 on the tree. In total I have owned approx 25 MOPARS over the years, and still have 3. One of the most significant/valuable was 67 GTX ragtop with just about every option except for a hemi (original purchaser wanted AC and you couldn't get that with the hemi). Believe me, I knew where that car was parked for the 17 years I owned it.
    Yes, I did understand your original statement. I was just stating why it really struck me, not that there was anything wrong with what you said.
    I have owned MANY (TNTC) Mopars including both new and used. I have owned other Valiants than the referenced '69 (273 V8, AT, A/C, etc.) including a mid-1964 Signet hardtop with 273 V8. I also owned a GTX that had so much on it that it required two window stickers. I have owned more new Mopars than new cars from any other corporation.
    I sold Chrysler/Plymouth products new and used.
    I still have the last new Chrysler product that I purchased on June 13, 2000 - going to have a 19th birthday soon.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Yes, I did understand your original statement. I was just stating why it really struck me, not that there was anything wrong with what you said.
    I have owned MANY (TNTC) Mopars including both new and used. I have owned other Valiants than the referenced '69 (273 V8, AT, A/C, etc.) including a mid-1964 Signet hardtop with 273 V8. I also owned a GTX that had so much on it that it required two window stickers. I have owned more new Mopars than new cars from any other corporation.
    I sold Chrysler/Plymouth products new and used.
    I still have the last new Chrysler product that I purchased on June 13, 2000 - going to have a 19th birthday soon.
    Sounds like we have similar tastes in MOPARS. I still have the last 2 new Dodges I bought; 1986 Shelby Charger and 2006 RAM 3500 4 door dually diesel

Judge hits the brakes on auction for barn-find 1969 Plymouth GTX

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...9-plymouth-gtx

I would have bet it was stolen. strange tale!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I would have bet it was stolen. strange tale!
    Strange tale, yup - Stolen - no. I don't think we've heard the last of this one as the owner will still need to satisfy all costs associated with the storage and other issues. My guess is that's why the restraining order is temporary.

A local collector was involved in the bidding and a number of us were hoping he would buy it just so we could see it locally.

Bob
    , ,

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    More this morning, clear as mud. More questions created than answered! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post

GTX was hardly an entry-level- that's what the satellite and Road Runner were for- GTX was the high-line B-body aimed at performance- only engine options were 426 Hemi or 440. Nothing entry-level about them.
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fargoguy View Post
    GTX was hardly an entry-level- that's what the satellite and Road Runner were for- GTX was the high-line B-body aimed at performance- only engine options were 426 Hemi or 440. Nothing entry-level about them.
    I agree. Refer to my post no. 9.
    I have owned many Satellites and Sport Satellites, but only one GTX.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

I remember it well....my first father in law had a 62 galaxy that he pulled a small travel trailer with. He wanted to replace it and got brochures and considered the GTX and the Pontiac 2+2 both of course had mongo engines available. He unfortunately bought a 68 Ford f150 with a 360 iirc. nice truck but not as cool as the cars would have been!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

I owned a national winning (NCPC) 1969 Valiant Signet four door.
    What did your '69 four door have for options?

The reason I ask, is there is a very nice '68 Valiant four door here that was factory equipped with 273, four speed transmission, and single exhaust. It is a bench seat car, and the original owner ordered it that way with the intention of pulling a trailer. According to the current owner, it is one of seven four door, four speed cars 1968 Valiants with a 273 V8 produced that year, and his is the only example that was assembled in Canada.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    What did your '69 four door have for options?

The reason I ask, is there is a very nice '68 Valiant four door here that was factory equipped with 273, four speed transmission, and single exhaust. It is a bench seat car, and the original owner ordered it that way with the intention of pulling a trailer. According to the current owner, it is one of seven four door, four speed cars 1968 Valiants with a 273 V8 produced that year, and his is the only example that was assembled in Canada.

Craig
    I bought mine from the family of the original owner who was a car "nut". Mine, that I owned for years, was a 1969 Valiant Signet four door sedan with 273 cid V8, Torqueflite, ps, pb, factory A/C, R&H and probably some other things that do not come to mind.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968