Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Silver Hawk Member
    I'd much rather face Judy (wife of 54 years) than the logistics of getting that thing across the country. I guess you could take your wife on a vacation and drive it home. Bob
    , ,

Speedster Member
    As a matter of fact so far it has cost me a trip to Iceland and a French, Germany and Switzerland river cruise (all very nice and I am glad we went).......the understanding was I could / would get a BIG Studebaker.......something went wrong in the delivery department! And yes the darned transport cost is my BIG hold up. It will be 1500-2000 $ to make it FOB Green Bay, yes I agree with today's costs I would not want to truck it cross country for that amount either. Oh well this IS going to be interesting!! Sherm / GB

Golden Hawk Member
    My wife of 56 years, this month, was usually the one pushing me to buy a car that I was slightly undecided on. Perhaps that is why we have owned more than 100 over the years, including more than 50 Studebakers, but never more than ten at one time.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

You're a lucky man Gary. First, to have your wife for 56 years, and second, for the fact that she enjoyed cars, and your hobby. My wife and I have been married for 38 years now, but she doesn't always agree with my car buying adventures. She likes modern cars, but old cars, not so much. We always work things out though.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    You're a lucky man Gary. First, to have your wife for 56 years, and second, for the fact that she enjoyed cars, and your hobby. My wife and I have been married for 38 years now, but she doesn't always agree with my car buying adventures. She likes modern cars, but old cars, not so much. We always work things out though.
    Thanks. We both had Studebakers as our only cars when we met.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    Did either one of you two buy the grain truck, can't find the listing now?

Not me. I would have loved to have it, but need to finish my 47 M15A.

Speedster Member
    I was thinking about it but didn't want to step on any toes, waiting for one or both to back off a little, but now it's gone, I have room to put it and would use it to haul hay

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    The listing ended, but it didn't sell. Send the seller a PM through the eBay system...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Studeb...p2047675.l2557
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Well jetboat I'm German so I have cast iron toes, I would be honored to be bested by a fellow Stude truck lover, a big Stude saved is NEVER wasted. I was hovering at the last minutes and decided to hold my powder and see if it would appear again on E bay or some other 'truck site'. For the truck to work for me I would need to put a hoist under the bed (more $$). It seems you west coast located folks have the value edge on us fly over folks taking delivery charges into the outlay cost department. Does anyone want to chance a sell value on this unit (NOT counting the transport charge)? Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Speedster Member
    I too am a little German (zigler),l will be watching also,I am just curious on how much it weighs my trailer is only 7k so not sure about that?

Speedster Member
    Well that was one of the easy questions I ask him......ID plate data on the drivers side seat riser.....we would have been able to 'size out' a good guess on weight. Of course there would have been some 'fudge' for the bed and don't forget those wood side add a good extra amount of dead weight, but I bet we could get in the ball park! At this point it is a good thing it does NOT have a hyd. hoist system...no extra weight needed! Sherm (still fussing) Green Bay / 63R1089

I do not believe the Unladen Weight is on the Serial Number Plate, only the GVW because equipment, Liquids, Bed etc. vary so much. It "should" be in the 6500 Lb. area with a Gross of 15-16,000 Lb.

Interesting how a "2 Ton" can have a GVW of 8 TONS, and my "1 Ton" can can have a GVW of 5 Tons!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I do not believe the Unladen Weight is on the Serial Number Plate, only the GVW because equipment, Liquids, Bed etc. vary so much. It "should" be in the 6500 Lb. area with a Gross of 15-16,000 Lb.

Interesting how a "2 Ton" can have a GVW of 8 TONS, and my "1 Ton" can can have a GVW of 5 Tons!
    I seem to recall my 4E40 (V8) with a 171" WB and hoist weighs around 6800 lbs wet. A 2-ton jack has no problem lifting either end.

The tonnage weight classifications were established in the 1930s when those really were pretty close to the amount such trucks could carry. They got codified in DMV fee schedules and our language -- but are really obsolete today and no longer used by most DMVs.

Speedster Member
    Well, I sent a pm to the sell no answer yet.

Speedster Member
    This is going to be interesting, early on I submitted 4 questions (very easy one's that would provide the finial data to solidify the purchase offer)....he never responded. BUT he did answer a west coast location persons questions??? I guess he just does not like mid west folks. (?) I hope this works and keep me informed, its a great truck and it should get an equally good home!! Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089 P.S. "jetboat" I sure wish I had a jet boat for use on the Green Bay water (I have a 22' 'toon' with a 50 hp E-rude.....not quite enough to get across the bay when the wind spins around!!!

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    I am the one he responded to. I decided against buying it because I would have to pay to store it.
    He told me that all it needed was a brake job and a new clutch. It only has 30K miles on it and it was always stored indoors. It was always well maintained and was a dependable work truck. It does not have a crane.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Hi Ed, you may remember me,I bought sorrells white 57 hawk 2 years ago out of Portland I think it would be nice to have a big truck to maybe haul hay on every year, just a want not a need so I am on the fence about it.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
    Hi Ed, you may remember me,I bought sorrells white 57 hawk 2 years ago out of Portland I think it would be nice to have a big truck to maybe haul hay on every year, just a want not a need so I am on the fence about it.
    Dino, I do remember that. Nice Hawk!
    If I had a place to park/store this truck I would have snatched it up. That being said, I do not have a farm and have nothing to haul in it. It would have just been a great truck to take to local shows. With only 30K miles I would guess this truck still has a lot of useful life and would be best purchased by someone who can use it for what it was built for. I would love to see it go to someone like yourself. Keep us posted on the status of your fence sitting.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Ok he said is sold,I think you guys were rite, driving the price up .sold for 2000. Dollars

Ok he said is sold,I think you guys were rite, driving the price up .sold for 2000. Dollars
    I have enjoyed you guys going back and forth discussing the pros & cons of this truck. I kept reading the posts, anticipating which one would finally break over and make the purchase. Now that it is no longer available...I don't know if you guys are disappointed or relieved. I hope the truck has landed in a good place. Perhaps the new owner is one of us (forum & SDC member). If not, hopefully he will find us and join in the fun. If it turns out to be a greater responsibility than he anticipates, it could very well reappear for sale again. Then, those seriously desiring such a vehicle...will have another opportunity.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    Now that it's gone,I am going to persue the 49 commander on craigslist Portland, my son wants it.

now that it's gone,i am going to persue the 49 commander on craigslist portland, my son wants it.
    GOOD GRIEF!...Which one? Out of curiosity, I went to the Portland site and currently there are at least three different '49 Commanders for sale! Portland must have been a Studebaker Sanctuary Region! There sure seems to be many of them still around.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    The blue one all original, 2494. We have been talking to him for a couple years, one family owned.