Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Speedster Member

49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Gents I need an education, what is wrong with this E bay truck for sale listing? (ref: E bay item # 202696425592) History is....the truck is on its 3 rd listing in as many weeks, the 1 st listing it was sold at $ 1600, then popped back up (with no detail why the relist) for its 2 nd go round with a buy it now price of $ 1800, (I have emailed the listing with several EASY questions.....no reply) the listing ended with no bids, so it has been listed for the 3 rd time and I have again e mailed E bay listing with the same questions. At one time the listing had over 70 watchers. From what I can surmise from the pics. it seems; 33,000 miles, 2 ton,w/ two speed diff., grain box (no hoist ??), NO data plate info. I have had NO reply on my four simple questions and the seller has an E bay rating of 90%. Anybody have an idea what is going on here? Does anyone have any past contact with this truck? A scam? Thanks for your ideas on this. And yes I am looking SLOWLY for a 1 1/2 - 2 tonner with a hoist. I am still in the wife convincing mode if you know what I am facing.....so far the convincing program has cost me a trip to Iceland and a river cruise to Europe (all worth it I must add). Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Sherm - this might be a case of “I’ve got and old vehicle - it must be worth a whole bunch of money - and I am not going to take what it might actually be worth...”. The market on something like this is pretty small and the amount people are willing to pay for it reflects that. Why they are not answering questions is anyones guess - they might not even know how to do that... Good luck.

Silver Hawk Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Studeb...IAAOSw5iVc1N8q

It's from the dry part of the country and only used for grain hauling. I've never seen a better one for $1800.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    I am in touch with the owner and am considering making an offer. He says it needs brakes but everything else works on it. I still have a few questions to get answers too before I pull the trigger.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    ...and a heavy duty fan; what's not to like?

Speedster Member
    YOU LUCKY FOLLOW !!! Guess he likes to talk with 'west coasters'. Let me know if it has a hoist!! I am turning GREEN as I type this!!! Second subject: Ed we were visiting a monastery near Dundee OR and I stopped by Dundee Fire Station #3 and got a work 'T' from them for my wardrobe of fire shirts (my old department is in disbelief of the spectrum of the fire shirts I use). It was a very nice station with a friendly crew. Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

If it has a hoist, the control mechanism is carefully hidden. I see no sign of any in the cab.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Silver Hawk Member
    If it was a grain truck, it almost certainly has a hoist.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Speedster Member
    Well, yes I did not see any indication of PTO ('s) knobs or handles like I am use to......but I have been on site with grain body straight trucks that relied on a lift/tilt off-loading plant system where the complete truck was tipped for the off-load operation. This was in the mid sixty's at a local small operation cannery, we had 10 trucks and only two had Harsch brand hoist's, all the others were 'tipped dumped'. I was told that if the farmer had his own truck it made it cheaper for his cost and no hoist problems would impact our crop stream into the production lines. Sherm, getting greener in Green Bay / 63R1089

Quote Originally Posted by firestoper 25 View Post
    YOU LUCKY FOLLOW !!! Guess he likes to talk with 'west coasters'. Let me know if it has a hoist!! I am turning GREEN as I type this!!! Second subject: Ed we were visiting a monastery near Dundee OR and I stopped by Dundee Fire Station #3 and got a work 'T' from them for my wardrobe of fire shirts (my old department is in disbelief of the spectrum of the fire shirts I use). It was a very nice station with a friendly crew. Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089
    Firestoper 25, I have not yet committed to purchasing this truck. I need to determine how much it will cost to have it towed to Dundee, where I will store it until it can get the brakes worked on, etc. Some of my questions got answered by your first post.
    I am not sure why the owner responded to me and not to you. I contacted him through the listing.
    I am sorry I missed you when you came through Dundee. I suspect you were visiting the Trappist Abbey outside of Lafayette. The fire station you visited is brand new. I live just up the hill from there. I would have loved having you drop by. If you come by this way again be sure to let me know.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Ed, so close and yet sooooo far! I am sure we will be revisiting Brother Mark again and I will see if we can meet and go over the Studebaker religion.Brother Mark was my wife's high school instructor and is pushing the 90 age mark. I'll trade you what it would cost me to get the truck to Green Bay VS the cost to Dundee !! Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089 PS any tactics that have worked for you in being granted spousal approval for LARGE Studebaker haulers??

John,
    I think I know who Brother Mark is. I believe I met him briefly when our SDC chapter did a tour at the Abbey about a year or so ago.
    Alas, the wifey thing... I usually wait until I have accomplished some big job around the property, or she owes me a big favor. When I told her I was looking at this truck she asked me what I had in mind. After I responded she just smiled and said "I see". That could mean anything but I just cleaned our garage so maybe she figures I should have a hay truck for a reward. Who knows.
    Do you have a need for a vehicle like this? I am just looking at it as an investment that I can use as a trade for something else someday, and an unusual vehicle to take to the local shows in the meantime. If you have a real need for this I would be happy to step aside and let you go for it.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    I love big old trucks!...and have owned a couple. The downside is, they take up a lot of room to store out of the weather, They won't fit in a standard garage, they are pretty much useless with their low gearing, you need some special (big) tools to work on them, they are tougher than a car to drive (and park ), tires and other parts can be expensive, some of the "truck only" parts are NLA. In spite of that, they turn my crank.

This one looks to me to be a "give-away" at $1800. If you've ever want an old Stude big truck, this is the one. I doubt if you'll ever find one this rust and damage free, this original, with that low mileage again. As a bonus it is an early R with the M dash.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Ed, did you buy some of the on site made fruit cake? I usually get 2 or 3 'bricks' of it and I don't like fruit cake! I also ration it out for the rest of the year....only real friends are offered the treasure. And to the subject 'of a use for it'....two grand kids (11 yrs. {F} & 8 yrs. [M]) who NEED to be taught what work is and how to do it, a 36 year old 650 John Deere diesel tractor (with all the required dirt /landscaping attachments), a three year old 'new' house that is only now starting to look like someday may look like it belongs Lake Michigan / Green Bay......my goal is for them to be HEAVILY (literally lots of hard work - like we were raised) taught that life on the farm is very different to city life. You design/ plan it, haul-move the materials, make it, you fix it if needed and learn how to be self reliant. And I am 70 with a considerable list of stuff that needs hauled for this place to be up to snuff. The overall goal is Stude to haul, JD to spread, kids for labor assistance, project completion = happy wife ?? I think you should buy the truck (you have the best location), get it operational, I should buy it from you and drive it to Green Bay with the wife. We built a house together (I would NOT recommend that project) so driving cross country at 45 mph @ 10 mpg in a 70 year old 2 ton truck is probably pure science fiction also!! After I bought it from you if any money was left in the Stude fund would go for a long haul trucking firm. I feel you should buy the old girl (the truck NOT the wife) and I will watch from the sidelines (with the delusion of the wife winning the lotto and letting me have a plaything). Sherm / Green Bay

Speedster Member
    Kind Sir....what is a M dash. Sherm / Green Bay

John,
    If I do buy it I plan on having someone else work on it. Especially have Dick's comments above. I would plan to keep it local until I find the right buyer. In the meantime I would need to find a place to store it. I do not have a big enough building on my property. Besides, my property is sloped and not conducive to a large building without pouring a massive monopour slab foundation. Until I work all these things out I cannot move forward. It does seem to be a really good deal, however, and I don't want to pass it up if I can work things out. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Kind Sir....what is a M dash. Sherm / Green Bay
    I think he means that it has the early M series truck style gauges. The dash itself is the same as the later R series trucks.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I love big old trucks!...and have owned a couple. The downside is, they take up a lot of room to store out of the weather, They won't fit in a standard garage, they are pretty much useless with their low gearing, you need some special (big) tools to work on them, they are tougher than a car to drive (and park ), tires and other parts can be expensive, some of the "truck only" parts are NLA. In spite of that, they turn my crank.

This one looks to me to be a "give-away" at $1800. If you've ever want an old Stude big truck, this is the one. I doubt if you'll ever find one this rust and damage free, this original, with that low mileage again. As a bonus it is an early R with the M dash.
    Me, too. They're great fun and are almost always the only one at an ATHS meet. They always draw a crowd and usually outshine the run-of-the-mill Kenworths and Peterbilts. And (as usual) I agree with Dick (mostly). I've owned a 4E40 flatbed dump for about 20 years, and have never had any problems servicing it -- except for wheels, tires, and brakes. The 9.00 x 20 wheels and tires are big and heavy, and are simply beyond my ability to maneuver by myself. But the rest of truck is pretty much plain old Studebaker, and most of the stuff is still available somewhere. While I agree that they are not high-speed vehicles, the later ones with a V8 and 5-speed OD are easily capable of 60 mph. That said, I wouldn't want to drive one across the country at that speed.
    Skip Lackie

Speedster Member
    Honest to Peter.....we need to combine locations.....I have land, a four stall car shop (24' deep) with a full up stairs loft and a 48' lean-to that will be slowly sided in (we wouldn't the zoning people or tax assessor to get excited would we ?). Talk about being in the wrong location at the wrong time.....what a hoot. Sherm / Green Bay

Ya know, John. If you offered they guy $1,500 for the truck you might have money to have it towed to your place. It sounds like you need it more than I. Dick and Skip make a compelling case for putting this beauty on your farm. Other than brakes and clutch she is ready to go to work.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Yes Skip you are right on about the truck world, I had a 1934 BB Ford 1 1/2 ton dump truck with a Gallion hydraulic box. 7 including the spare 7.00 x 20 tires on split rims.....oh yes mechanical brakes. When you get older everything bigger gets heavier.....law of the universe. Sherm / Green Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    John,
    I would plan to keep it local until I find the right buyer.
    Keep in mind there isn't much of a market for these old, big trucks.

The current owner has a good listing with good pictures. One of very few trucks in this original condition, low miles, clear title....and he is having a hard time getting $1800 for it.

I wouldn't count on making a profit on this one. Especially after paying someone else to replace the clutch, fix the brakes, and probably some other repairs/parts.

It really needs to go to someone with the room to store it, the tools and know how to make the repairs (and a real love for it of course). They are few and far between unfortunately.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Yes Mr. S, I agree the big truck market is small and getting more micro and the concept of Studebakers and profit is non existent in this universe. And lets not mention the shrinking number folks that know how to split shift with a two speed diff., double clutch a five speed (overdrive or just regular five speed), judge stopping distances with a full load for traffic conditions, how to raise and dump a two ton load and maintain truck stability.....we could go on for another couple of paragraphs on this line of thought. Yup I agree on your $ 1800 comment. What really draws a heavy vacuum (sucks) is I have the room, the equipment, the talent (its my story & I'am sticking to it!) and as of yet (!) I can still do the heavy work (with the help of several friends who ask why the h**l do you like these Studebakers??). Regards Sherm / Green Bay

Silver Hawk Member
    Agree on the small market. I advertised mine for sale on the forum a year or so ago, and only got a few inquiries, and only one person who actually looked at it. Add to that the fact that unless you find one locally, they almost have to be shipped, even if they are fully operable. With no load, they ride hard. So the shipping cost has to be added to the price of the truck. But I would mildly debate Firestopper's comment about double clutching. The New Process 5-spd/OD is a bit awkward to shift, but it's synchro in all but first.

Owner says "No hoist".
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Owner says "No hoist".
    This method is still used today...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Yes Mr. S, I agree the big truck market is small and getting more micro and the concept of Studebakers and profit is non existent in this universe. And lets not mention the shrinking number folks that know how to split shift with a two speed diff., double clutch a five speed (overdrive or just regular five speed), judge stopping distances with a full load for traffic conditions, how to raise and dump a two ton load and maintain truck stability.....we could go on for another couple of paragraphs on this line of thought. Yup I agree on your $ 1800 comment. What really draws a heavy vacuum (sucks) is I have the room, the equipment, the talent (its my story & I'am sticking to it!) and as of yet (!) I can still do the heavy work (with the help of several friends who ask why the h**l do you like these Studebakers??). Regards Sherm / Green Bay
    Sherm, you're the PERFECT guy for this truck.

BTW, I grew up in Marshfield. I bought my Model A a few years ago on the Door Peninsula. 3rd owner.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Wow a great looking 30 two door coach just enough 'scruff' to look like its 1940 and just back from Saturday afternoon in town getting a weeks worth of supplies! You drove past my place going up the Door to pick it up! That picture of the BIG TIPPER is a hoot.....looks like it could tip an ore boat......I don't think I would want to be sleeping in the truck cab between loads when this old gal raises up.

I will let you and Ed call my wife and sway her to letting me get this truck.....ho-ho...I will be running away as fast as I can run.....they will never find our three bodies....Lake Michigan NEVER gives up her Studebaker people I hear.

I agree with you about the 5 sp OD trans and its shifting I was thinking about the other older trans. and with 60+ thousand miles of abuse matching gear teeth and road speed is getting to be a lost art and lets not get into down shifting shall we?

And yes ED $1500 would be a great deal.......I just need to find monies for the divorce, my relocation costs, the auction house to sell my current Studebaker inventory......and so it goes said Paul Harvey!

Regrets Sherm / Green Bay

"... just enough 'scruff' to look like its 1940 and just back from Saturday afternoon in town getting a weeks worth of supplies! "

. Perfect. I'm going to reuse that line.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Interesting feedback comment:

I tried to pay for this item at least seven times with no success. Buyer: l***3 ( 1906) During past month
    1949 Studebaker (#202682038297) US $1,600.00 View Item

When you click on the View Item link:
    The listing you're looking for has ended.

1949 Studebaker
    Condition:
    Used

Ended:
    May 18, 2019, 09:51:22 AM PDT

Price:
    US $1,600.00

Dave Lester

Dave,
    That is strange. The only negative he's rcd, and the only item he has sold less than a year ago. Almost like he doesn't know how the eBay system works, but after 92 transactions that doesn't seem right either. Seems like he should end the auction now and figure out a way to accept the $1600 from the buyer when it ran last time.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member
    Oh boy oh boy, thanks Studude for the back fill on what's happening on the 1 st go round!! My wife has sold on E bay for years and has a 100% rating (which she guards). I wonder if the gent is having medicine or medical issues that are causing troubles for him? If I had extra coin we would fly out see him the truck and make a Dundee fruit cake stop (with fellow Studebaker fan (s) visits as a side trip). Do you suppose he wants MUCH more money and is just playing the bait & wait game?? Sherm / Green Bay, where a deal IS still a deal.....hand shakes work......I have been lied to by more people in suits than by folks in boots.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Dave,
    That is strange. The only negative he's rcd, and the only item he has sold less than a year ago. Almost like he doesn't know how the eBay system works, but after 92 transactions that doesn't seem right either. Seems like he should end the auction now and figure out a way to accept the $1600 from the buyer when it ran last time.
    Maybe, since the first BIN was $1,600, and the current BIN is $1,800, he is trying to establish an auction starting price, rather than a BIN listing?

Dave Lester

Speedster Member
    9 JUNE update.

So I thought, contemplated, fussed-fumed and waited.......the 2 tonner did not sell and has been relisted. And it all begins all over again for the third time! The more I study this truck the more I want it (what a surprise). 83 folks had it on their watch list so I am struggling having it on my bucket list! Yes I know they are ; big, heavy, SLOW, fuel hog, parts are getting difficult to locate, storage space hog, BUT THEY ARE SO COOL!! I could be the only one in the county to have one (or want one). And speaking of 'have one' maybe I will be the last to WANT one. I suspect at my 70 + years (hey the old boy matches my age) the future sales market IS declining so the wife may have the last laugh at my estate sale and use it as my coffin (that's one way to kill (!) two birds with stone...... Well I am watching and thinking again. As Paul Harvey would say "the rest of the story" should follow in appx. six days. Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089 Ummm that Avanti may look great on deck as a car hauler, nope the load would be to tall, wrong center of gravity, to much load and not enough brakes, etc..

I have half-fast read some of the previous posts in this thread but not closely. I saw that the ad was back on (relisted), but I don't know why you would need to wait six days??? Just hit the buy it now and be done with it. If he don't respond to the buy it now, how 'bout seeing if eBay customer service reps can help you two get together and complete the deal???
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Silver Hawk Member
    Go for it! How often can one fulfill a dream Stude for only $1800; that's just fun money.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member
    John.......one word........WIFE.......!

Sherm

Speedster Member
    Jack, I am going to use that line of yours in total and see if I can leverage the wife's thoughts on adding another Studebaker to my 62 Austin Healey, 87 Jeep, 88 Fiero and 81 John Deere 650 diesel tractor. Things are getting complicated, I may need to sell something (ugh!). Sherm / GB 63R1089 + others

Sorry Sherm...I still have my first one too!...also known as my personal manager...finance manager...the adult in the house...my favorite wife!

But...sometimes it's like bringing home a puppy...once it's home...and she looks in its eyes...how can she refuse???...'cept for a woman...looking in the headlights of your new prize isn't exactly the same as the eyes of a puppy.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    Well put like a true 'Southern Gentleman' and mirror's my (our) 50 year hitch. I have tried the old crutch " Hey honey, look what followed me home" too many times. I am not giving in.....just regrouping. Sherm/ GB