Thread: And we think our commutes are bad...

President Member

And we think our commutes are bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszLu6F7pEE

PS: Check out how innovative we are in Canada.

Most of them look like a terribly frustrating rat race. I can appreciate my peaceful commute a lot more now. Thanks

Stockholm central station is a bit like New York but Amsterdam is no way near, they just filmed the people coming off the ferry going to A'dam Noord & then about the bikes; there's loads of bikes for the tourists, there's not one single day year around without tourists there. But A'dam is a layback town.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member
    Our city, Moncton, with its adjacent suburbs, Dieppe and Riverview, have a total population of about 120,000. One morning at work I was on the telephone with someone from Toronto. As we finished I said, "I must go home for lunch now." In a totally surprised tone of voice, he said, "You go home for lunch? How long does that take?" I replied, "Oh, about five minutes. Or, if traffic is really bad, six." Every time I visit Toronto, I like Moncton better.
    Bill Jarvis

Silver Hawk Member
    In a 60-year career, I have never, ever gone home for lunch. Never got more than a 30-minute lunch break (could stretch it to 45) -- but it was a 90-minute round trip, even in the middle of the day (not including the time to eat lunch).
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-31-2019 at 05:54 AM.

My wife and I have been blessed with being able to travel to many countries around the world. We travel on the cheap which means taking backpacks and public transportation. Mixing in with locals during peak times is not a whole lot of fun, sometimes squished on trains or buses so tightly you find it difficult to breath. Probably the worst two countries for crowds have been India and Sri Lanka. I usually laugh when I hear someone from my city compain about how squashed they were on the C-Train (Calgary's mass transit system)...most complainers have no concept of squashed. The absolute best example for me was the Metropolitano in Lima Peru...the bus stops, the doors open, this business man complete with briefcase tries to get on the bus, there was seriously no room left for 1 more passenger, so the guy backs up a couple of steps and then runs and launches himself on top of everyone! Sure thankful that my whole work career I was able to drive to work... cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    ...sometimes squished on trains or buses so tightly you find it difficult to breath.
    Morning commute in Tokyo...

The white gloved "pushers" were always polite, but very insistent.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    7 -- ​ What happens to the people squished just inside the doors when they open?
    Bill Jarvis

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Morning commute in Tokyo...

The white gloved "pushers" were always polite, but very insistent.
    I think I would rather hitch hike. In Chicago. At 2am. In January
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

In Holland there's double decker trains, that helps, hardly ever even crowded.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member
    Ahhhhhh, retirement
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstude View Post
    7 -- ​ What happens to the people squished just inside the doors when they open?
    They spill out on the platform. But they get to be in the front of the line for going back onboard once those getting off have done so. I had several assignments in Tokyo and took those trains every morning and evening. You get used to it.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    You get used to it.
    Yes you do. And if your stop is just a couple down the line, you want to be one of the last ones on. Trying to get out from the middle of the train isn't easy.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA