60 Lark Trunk Hinge Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark Trunk Hinge Adjustment

I just started working on my 60 Lark Hardtop after a long break (like years). The car was hit very lightly in the rear back in the late 60's. Nothing is out of square, but the trunk lid sits a little higher on the driver's side and it looks like the hinge is the only issue. What is the best way to adjust this hinge or bend it down slightly?

I'd move this to Tech Talk if I could figure how to with the new system.
    Last edited by scott.rodgers; 05-22-2019, 02:21 PM. Reason: Quick Update
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

If the Hinge or Lid is not sprung or bent, usually adding a few Shims under the Hinge to Body Mounting location will "pull it down".
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich - thanks. I'll try that.
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        If the Hinge or Lid is not sprung or bent, usually adding a few Shims under the Hinge to Body Mounting location will "pull it down".
        What Rich suggested may work, but I believe that your hinge may be sprung and a replacement hinge may give you a better solution (somewhat dependent on what you call "a little higher").
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker trunk hinges frustrate me more than any other part of the car. Now, I’ve only been subjected to 3 Studebaker cars, but all three have the same issue. To me the actual hinge and the body it is attached to is too week for the spring they used to help close the trunk. Ever have a trunk lid on a Stude get away from you on the way down? Could be deadly..... I think this is why so many have that very issue you talk about. Most of the time you can re adjust in the slots provided for adjustment. Sometimes, I did on all three of mine, it took a little “tweak” of the body tub, where the trunk hinges attach, to get the trunk lid back in adjustment. I tried shims, but I couldn’t get them to stay tight. The bolts would work loose. Your results may vary
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Often the bottom of the deck lid is bent at the hinge attachment point. Years of opening the lid and pushing it up has tweaked it and will change the height when closed. Other times someone has forced the lid closed with cargo in the trunk that is taller then the opening and has bend the area where the hinge mounts to the lid.
            Remove the deck lid and lay it upside down on a soft surface. But a straight edge on the area where the hinges attach. If it rocks back and forth or side to side, it's bent. Usually some light taps with a hammer will straighten it. Use a wooden block with a rag if needed to not mar the paint when hammering.
            Shimming may be needed but often causes problems with height at the leading edge.
            Getting everything back to factory specs usually will allow the hinges to be adjusted properly without modification.
            If the vehicle was ever involved in a rear collision, things bend in places not involved in the wreck. Hinges can tweak and body mount points can get bent requiring repair or modifications to correct alignments.
            It's a trial and error adjustment process and can drive you nuts. A lot of adjustments seem backwards when doing them so be patient.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Adding shims to the top mount of the hinge worked like a charm! However, I had to modify the lower mount where the hinge bracket attaches to the wheel tub. This mount only allows the hinge to be adjusted back and forth, not up and down. I drilled out part of the slot to allow the hinge mount to move up and down and it allowed me to move the hinge assembly down. Thanks for the help, everybody.
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Working...
              X