Tires for 2R5 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for 2R5 truck

I need to replace the 600-16 tires and tubes on a '51 2R5 truck. This is for a driver, not a restoration, so I would prefer to go with radials. The wheels are original, so I suppose that inner tubes would be necessary. It's a low budget project, so cost is a factor. Any suggestions?

Edit: Since originality is not an issue might it be reasonable to replace the wheels with newer tubeless ones? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Rerun; 05-20-2019, 04:01 AM.
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

I'm not running tubes in mine. Just using a plain old modern tire. The real problem to me is that they dry-rot before I can wear them out. Have the wheels checked for cracks, rust and run-out. Be careful with the lugs and do them by hand, as the teenagers have a tendency to strip or break them off. Especially the lefties on the driver's side if they're not paying attention. If they don't hold air for as long as you need, you can always put in a radial tube. They do make them.

Comment

the OEW rims are 4-5 inches wide. If you can mount radials (7-8 inches wide) on the thin rims (if ?), they're likely to look like dirigibles...Let us know if you get radials mounted (or anyone here chime in on OEM rims = radials)

Comment

A good tire retailer should be able to tell you what radial size is equivalent to a 6.00-16 . If your original wheels are in good, safe condition, they probably can be used. Be sure the tires you install are no wider than the originals.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Please re-read the last line of the above post #4 . Important.
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I will be following this thread. I am using 600-16 tires and tubes on a 1949 2R5 truck with date code 1977. I don't know why I still get away with it, but I recognize I will have to buy tires someday. My preference will be radials of the correct narrow width without tubes.

Referring to post #2, I have found mention on this forum of sealing the rivets. It appears you found that not necessary. True?

It is well noted in many forums that radial tires rot away before the tread wears out on lightly driven cars. That is true for my relics. Does this apply also to bias ply tires? I may not consider radials for this truck if bias ply tires still have a long life.

Comment

I've gone thru 3 sets of radials on my truck for that very reason. After about 5 years, they start cracking and at 10, pretty much history.

Comment

Bias ply tires suffer from age problems just as much as radials. The sidewalls show little cracks, you hit a pothole or a rough railway crossing, a tire blows out and the truck no longer is going in the direction where you want.

Years ago a friend had a flat tire on his 1931 Chrysler coupe. He used a 40-year-old side-mount spare to drive less than 5 km to a garage. The flat tire was repaired, and the spare went back on the side-mount. About 4 hours later we were in a car show in an arena when there was a loud BOOM like a rifle firing. The side-mount had blown a sidewall.
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
                X