Thread: F-16 crash Silly news reporting

President Member

F-16 crash Silly news reporting

A F-16 crashed into a warehouse today and luckily no one was injured. But what surprised me was that the reporter was surprised it was Armed ! What the heck did he think the F-16 was built for Sight seeing ?

Probably the same reporter who was amazed that a Glock shot ACTUAL bullets when the trigger was pulled....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Probably the same reporter who was amazed that a Glock shot ACTUAL bullets when the trigger was pulled....
    But only if it was loaded.

The 210 freeway was just reopened, the closure caused a massive traffic jam that most people that live in LA LA Land have experienced many times before.

President Member
    More surprising was that there was NO fire... I think the idiot ran out of fuel
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    Bob, I consider you a friend and have no intent to change that by what I'm about to post. But...I hope you are conflating this situation with another I saw this week where a civilian pilot did run out of fuel and landed his plane on an interstate. But, from your credentials and career involved in aviation, I'm sure you know any fighter pilot would have to work very hard to earn the title of "idiot" and still be able to fly one of these aircraft.

First of all, the vetting and hours of training required just to be seated in a cockpit is quite a mountain to climb. Then comes the planning of each mission (flight plan), preparation of the craft by the flight crew, and finally a sign off of the crew chief, and an extensive walk around pre-flight inspection. So, for the "idiot" to run out of fuel, he has to have extensive assistance by a whole team of idiots. That said, there could still be some kind of pilot error, by more likely overlooking a procedure, ignoring a warning, or it could be component failure.

Yeah...I have known fighter pilots with personality quirks, some even writing goofy things on bathroom walls, and some showing some fairly immature moments of poor judgement...but none I would classify as idiots. (OK...'cept for the army chopper pilot who nearly took the top of my head off firing a rocket at the enemy between me and his chopper, Saigon,Vietnam 1968)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    The press coverage of a local fire department official indicated that the fire suppression system within the warehouse building contained most of the fire until they arrived shortly after the crash.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Your comment is idiotic. You obviously know nothing of aircraft, especially military types or their operation. Also, if you had actually read the news accounts - the pilot ejected so he didn't fly the craft into the building, and there was no fire because nearly every building in California is required to have a fire sprinkler system which activated as a result of the crash.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

President Member
    My apologies
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Your comment is idiotic. You obviously know nothing of aircraft, especially military types or their operation. Also, if you had actually read the news accounts - the pilot ejected so he didn't fly the craft into the building, and there was no fire because nearly every building in California is required to have a fire sprinkler system which activated as a result of the crash.
    What is the protocol about ejecting in a populated area? How low can he safely eject at?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Blog Entries
    Hey c'mon guys. No need for invoking the ID-10-T error code Keep it friendly!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    My understanding was the plane was low on fuel because the pilot was on his way back from a training flight and they know how much fuel is needed for a flight. He may have miscalculated on this one, however. Hard to say. The Aviation Incident Report will contain all the details.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Commander Member
    Ah.....just saying with NO linkage to the event (and being a fireman with 25 years experience, including aircraft crash's) my / our colleges electronics program Dean was a recently retired (not my his own choice) hot shot Navy pilot (and I LIKE those guy's) who landed on the carrier 'wheels up'....vintage 1967. His rendition of how and why it happened was priceless!! Please understand this comment has NOTHING to do to the current event. Like all jobs, sh** happens.....do not get me started on stuff from the EMS, Fire or Police operations that go side ways. I am not making any judgement's.....just saying......... Sherm/ 63R1089

Well, what was his explanation?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Silver Hawk Member
    My old house out there was in the flight path for March. Now I'm out here in Az I miss the planes flying over head but glad I didn't have that traffic gridlock that the crash added to. I was out there last march & all those tilt-up whorehouses being put up every week and nothing being done to increase the highways, I don't miss that area at all!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Well, what was his explanation?
    No matter how I try I can not figure away to tell it his way and get it past the forum censors!! It is funny and terrible and NOT politically correct...... Sherm/63R1089