Thread: Not happening as planned

Not happening as planned

After a lot of things happening over the last few years, and age creeping up on me, my Grandson and I decided to abandon the idea of all the expensive paint and finish work on my 53 coupe. If I ever hope to finish it enough to enjoy, it has to go the cheapie from here on out. We are starting to work on it this week. I will try to post some progress soon. I have decided to sell some of the "stuff" I am not using and other parts. I have a 4bbl offy kit posted now, and I am posting a radio, speaker kit, and antenna today. I will be posting other parts. Watch for our progress soon, I hope.

So often 'keeping it real' is better than dreaming 'how cool will it be when its finished'. Sounds like you're keeping it real to me, and getting it back together and on the road always works for me. Even if its not a perfect car, driving a 53 coupe is far cooler than looking at one sitting in the garage. Mrs. Junior has a motto..."while you can, when you can". Words we try to live by in our house. Looking forward to progess pics! cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

President Member
    Willingness to adjust plans to better suit current circumstances usually results in a far more satisfactory outcome than an endless delay to achieve perfection.
    Old cars are not getting any younger nor are we. An old car that has been maintained or returned to 'hop in, and drive condition' will always beat a undrivable 'project' and a pile of expensive parts stashed away in ones garage and attic.
    Even driving an oldie with a brush applied paint job, with blankets over the seats, beats having it languish for years in the garage waiting for that $$$$$ paint job and $$$$$ interior that it will likely never get.
    Whatever you got, concentrate on returning it to safe driveable condition first. Trinkets and goodies, if you can afford them, can come latter.
    I have to remind myself of this daily.

I regularly remind myself that the perfect is the enemy of the good.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

(opinion)
    Just an FYI ...
    I liked your '53 just the way it is/was... Slightly raw, semi finished..
    True 50's style and attitude.
    Get 'er running and go have fun with it (while you still can)..
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie J. View Post
    Willingness to adjust plans to better suit current circumstances usually results in a far more satisfactory outcome than an endless delay to achieve perfection.
    Old cars are not getting any younger nor are we. An old car that has been maintained or returned to 'hop in, and drive condition' will always beat a undrivable 'project' and a pile of expensive parts stashed away in ones garage and attic.
    Even driving an oldie with a brush applied paint job, with blankets over the seats, beats having it languish for years in the garage waiting for that $$$$$ paint job and $$$$$ interior that it will likely never get.
    Whatever you got, concentrate on returning it to safe driveable condition first. Trinkets and goodies, if you can afford them, can come latter.
    I have to remind myself of this daily.
    X2. Plus, running/driving projects with plenty of "patina" get more attention at car shows than the shiny ones. I think more people can relate to them, and feel the owner will be more approachable for conversation.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Same thoughts here; when Sonja went & got Josephine tested they were overjoyed about the old rough paint on her & I've had loads of people telling me not to repaint her. & yes: we have blankets on the seats... to save 'em.
    (But I will paint her anyway since she's the wrong color!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (163.7 KB, 44 views)
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-18-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Silver Hawk Member
    I'm with ya too brother... Great decision for now. Get er running and driving. Smoke the tires once in a while and make loud noises enough to scare women and children. Then.... later.... and maybe not even then..... make it pretty and docile.
    Good luck and congrats on the very real decision. I'm still living that lifestyle too.
    sals54

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    X2. Plus, running/driving projects with plenty of "patina" get more attention at car shows than the shiny ones. I think more people can relate to them, and feel the owner will be more approachable for conversation.
    I drive what might be the equivalent of 60's-70's Rat Rods - less the flat black paint. Mechanically I get them running "decent." Internally I'll put in the indoor/outdoor black carpet and maybe swap with clean junk yard seats. I'll find some upgrade steel wheel (like Crown Vics). I'll park on the edge of the local Cars & Coffee and people drift by often saying, "It will look great when you get it done." But dare I had put $20K into the car and I'm sure the magnifying glasses would come out. Humbly Happy Here.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

My favorite line at a car event is "mine is here, where is yours"
    Bob
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona

"They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

IMHO the 53 C and K can easily be voted the world's most beautiful car ever built.
    Do what you can to get it on the road and show it off.

I see most are in agreement. My Grandson, my son, and myself spent this Saturday morning picking up miscellaneous fasteners, paint, thinner, etc. for the 53. Of course this was after breakfast at fast food. We came back and got the core support, radiator and fan shroud mounted. Filled with coolant. Fired it up. warmed up, checked for leaks. Then, we had to tie up the wires and go for a test drive (after two burnouts). I'll try and post progress pictures in the pictures section.

President Member
    Way to go! Quality time that your Son and Grandson will treasure for life. Many many more to ya!

This sure makes me happy to read!!!
    Pictures of a burnout would be lovely!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

A test drive with two burnouts tossed in for good measure?...way to go Tex. Good to know old hot rodders don't grow up! I always love to hoon but don't get a lot of opportunity to do when Mrs. Junior is with me...but if my youngest daughter is with me, or my nephew then all reserve goes out the window. Good thing I don't own any high horsepower vehicles or I'd be in real trouble...ha! I'm too scaredy-cat (or caso) to do anymore burnouts with the Stude though as the transmission has led a hard life and is not all that strong to start with (its a T5) and is making some noises as it gets older...which reminds me...didn't you tear-up one of your transmissions with a burnout or two a few years ago? Good to hear that the Sat. night Special is back in action. cheers, Junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Hi Junior. No, I guess I won't ever get hot rodding out completely. A while back , one of my Sons, asked: dad, are you ever gonna grow up. My response: I hope not. Yes, I broke the transmission a few years ago, doing a burnout. A combination of good grip on tires, no traction bars, spring wrap and wheel hop, not to mention, not enough horsepower, proved fatal, to the t86. I ran a spare transmission, til I built this one again. Now, same tires, with traction masters, restacked springs, and the R1 engine, have solved the problem. Next, I think I may go to a 4:10 gear in the rear end, instead of 3:42. But, that will wait til I finish getting it together and spray on some cheap paint. Got to move forward a little faster, and a lot less expensive. Be 75 in 4 months. wanna go crusin to celebrate. LOL

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with having fun. I would replace "show it off" with have fun with it.emo3.gif Now, if showing it off is your idea of fun, go with it!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

President Member
    My eternal project was originally red, which being from Nebraska, I am quite tired of seeing everywhere. So, rather than red, I chose Riviera Blue and decades ago I bought a dozen spray cans of mixed Riviera blue and painted my Lark blue on a warm November afternoon out at my folk's acreage. The finish has held up well but since I am slowly fixing the car's body, my Lark is a quilt of blue, primer gray and surface rust. I inquired recently at the local auto body and paint supply store about mixing paint and injecting it into spray cans as I had done years before and I was quoted a four figure price for paint and supplies, I think they just wanted me to go away.

My wife and daughter picked out a Rustoleum Turquoise which runs about 3.50 a spray can at Menards

Right now I can afford 3.50 a can.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

We always roll our cars, Sonja's Citroen DS was ofcourse the funiest one to tell people it was rollpainted! The right kind of paint flows good & gets beautiful even without being sprayed.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member
    Rustoleum aluminum paint makes rusty bumpers look really good.