No announcement yet.

Torque Wrench Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese stuff may come to a screeching halt soon.

Comment

No, but it will go up 25% in price!

I never heard of the "don't use the upper 20%" of any test equipment, since that is where the tolerance specification is measured.

My cheapie click torque wrenches were close on the Snap-On truck tester, but my Snap-on had to go in for an $80 calibration. I got it used, so I do not know how it was treated by prior owner.
      Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I use a SnapOn with a dial. I don't see many of those in use any more.
        I seem to remember the tool dealers that came around to service shops had a device to check/calibrate torque wrenches.
        I have several Snap On torque wrenches, all are click type except one that is a dial type. That one is my favorite, it's the only one I trust when working on transmission valve bodies or replacing air bag inflators. A plus for me too is I use it to check a fasteners current torque by watching the needle as I loosen the fastener since it reads torque either way.

Comment

Occasionally compare my "click" torque wrench w/ another (of same capacity) at low, medium, high range of scale. Use a simple combination of socket adapters (may make a dedicated adapter one of these days). as long as the two units compare within a few pounds (Approx. five pounds at 100 pound test) I'm happy.

Anyone else use this test??

Paultk

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
            Occasionally compare my "click" torque wrench w/ another (of same capacity) at low, medium, high range of scale. Use a simple combination of socket adapters (may make a dedicated adapter one of these days). as long as the two units compare within a few pounds (Approx. five pounds at 100 pound test) I'm happy.

Anyone else use this test??

Paultk
            No, because that just shows correlation, not correctness.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For fairly LOW readings, I use an inch-LB torque wrench and convert accordingly. More accurate that way. 12 inch Pounds equals a Foot Pound.

Comment

Don't trust those clicker things- at all! Have a 40 yr old Craftsman with no moving parts - it cannot get out of calibration! The simpler you can make something the better and more reliable it is. Sorta like Occam's razor

Comment

Got a 50-250 ft-lb digital wrench last week. Why not, I can afford it...

I decided to check out the old wrench and had around a pair of nuts welded together with a "crowfoot" stubby open-end wrench in between I made for some custom repair... So, clamped the old wrench in the bench vice, then sockets, this double nut, and the new wrench.

I set the old one for 130 ft-lbs and applied torque with the new wrench that was set to alarm at 130 ft-lbs.

Alarm went off before old wrench clicked. I tried it again at 100ft-lbs and got similar results. At 50 ft-lbs it was about right. So, it seems the wrench may have "over-torqued" those bolts??

Current plans are to tear into the tractor some this week on vacation. I am not too hopeful re-torque will fix issues and I see R&R the head again. Hopefully the rain not too bad. Working in a dark & damp shed is not a fun deal.

What sucks about this is you have to take the steering shaft off that runs over the valve cover to get that off. Then the rocker shaft has to be off to get at some of the head bolts. So, afterwards you must recheck the valve rocker clearances. Not a real quick project and why I wonder how one is supposed to do this "hot".

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Are you saying you have one of these "Digital Torque Adapters" or know that they work that easily!
                    Yes, Rich, I have one of those Chicom digital torque adapters and it's more accurate than I can pull and read a beam torque wrench. I always begin with my fifty-year-old Craftsman beam, because it will always be accurate. Put the digital on it and make a couple of pulls. As I said, it's more accurate than I can read the scale and pull 60 lbs/ft at the same time. I have a helper watch just to confirm.

I've used the digital torque adapter and recalibrated several click torque wrenches, because they're so convenient for running head and main bolts; that's the big IF one can trust the click.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X