X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out for them thar' sinkholes!

Comment

Back on the 'net! Woohoo!

Moving is a pita, no doubt. Moving a shop quadruples the house issues.
      We used "Pod's" to move all of the house stuff, and some of the shop stuff.
      Had a local moving company near us in Brooklet move the furniture and 'pack' the Pod's (and all the stuff we boxed up).
      Had an Ocala moving company unload the house Pod's and grunt in the furniture.
      Still leaves all the boxes too schlep in and unpack (ugh).
      Brought the one horse (Chelsea) down last Tuesday. She's happy.
      Did a one day round trip yesterday and brought down the race trailer (personal Pod ) full of house stuff, including the piano.
      Still have to bring down the cars, tractors, yard equipment, Studebaker's, and milling machine(s).

No rest for the weary
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
        <snip>
        Is this a lifestyle change Jeff? Florida is definitely a distance from Brooklett GA. Are we privy as to why the change?
        <snip>
        Cheers, Bill
        Truth be told.. Yes.
        It is a lifestyle change, some good, some not so good. Aging gracefully is hard to do.
        But matching your lifestyle to the realities of life is also hard to do.
        My wife and I are facing some challenges that will affect things down the road, so getting things into place now makes sense.
        My only real surprise was the timing.
        The last two moves (corporately driven) took six months each to sell the ranch(es).
        This one took six days to sell, and the buyers wanted to close in two weeks.
        Whoaa... No way on that time frame.
        Changed the closing date to a month, and even that was almost impossible to meet (moving out the shop).
        But, we got it all done (thanks to some great neighbors and Studebaker friends)..
        Next.. Unpack, set up, and try to get back to normal...

Why Ocala? We really do like it in Ocala. If you like horses.. This is a horse town.
        The airport only has one stairway truck for people, but has four stairway ramp trucks for horses.
        I think more horses fly in and out of Ocala than people <lol>

Kym McCleerey and her husband decided to move their two children and two horses from Pennsylvania several years ago to help give daughter Samantha more year-round opportunities. “A lot of pros come down here with their students for the winter,” McCleerey said. But Samantha was still in high school, and they didn’t want to send her by herself. Now living in the heart of Horse Country, Samantha, 18, has access to her trainers and...
        Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 04-25-2019, 07:10 AM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Jeff: Thanks for the great update. Best of luck to you in your new home.
          Nick

Comment

Jeff,
            Now I've seen everything...
            The airport only has one stairway truck for people, but has four stairway ramp trucks for horses.
            Luck with finalizing of your move and finally settling down to your 'new normal".
            Keep us posted. If the "Black Car" is too much of an issue I have a pretty nice trailer which would head it north for a change of scenery.
            Cheers, Bill.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work in a short time, Jeff; better to do it now while you can. Congratulations and best wishes in the new digs.

Thanks for all the updates. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And you have Big Daddy Don Garlits in Ocala, too...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  And you have Big Daddy Don Garlits in Ocala, too...
                  I have some donated stuff on display in his museum, as well as a friends old 30's Dodge flathead six with speed parts.

Jeff

Comment

What I wonder & would worry about is weather, the bad kind... Is it worse or no difference to Georgia when the heavy storms comes?

Comment

Moving is such a pita...
                      Thank goodness for good friends who will run over to help out
                      Thanks Bill & Patty! (That piano was not light)...

Jeff

Comment

(On a Studebaker timeline related side note....)

This piano is old... Very old. Abraham Lincoln was still alive when it was built.
                        John M Studebaker had just come back into the family business, but the Studebaker Brothers Mfg. Co. had not yet been incorporated.
                        Calvin Edwards built piano's and church organs in Portland Maine...
                        This piano was built around 1864 (plus or minus a year or two). His factory burned down in 1866.
                        The piano has been in my family since the 1930's. Sometimes called a 'square grand', or a 'box piano', or a 'coffin piano'..
                        They were made to be able to be easily shipped (if you could ever imagine a piano as 'easy' to ship)

Jeff

Comment

Cool looking piece. I love the figure in the wood.
                          During my college days, I sometimes worked for a furniture mover. I always hated to see a piano in the house.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

What a great piece. My wife plays and I listen. I always envy folks that have a long family history behind them. My grandparents came over on the boat to escape the revolution in Russia in early 1910 - 1920s, so I'm only a second generation American. I have no information past my grandparents.
                            Take good care of that piano!
                            Nick

Comment

Jeff,
                              And I figured I had scored well to obtain an early 1930's full size (6 x 12) snooker table (5 pieces of slate weighing in at 450 lbs per unit) which pales in comparison to your family heirloom. Do you play? I love those legs from back when craftsmen were exactly that.
                              Good luck in your ordeal of unpacking and sorting.
                              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                                Jeff,
                                <snip> Do you play? <snip>
                                Cheers, Bill
                                Chopsticks, Silent Night..... That's about the extent of my musical talent.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X