Drove my truck for the first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    I'll have to get new wheels if I go to 16". Right now it has 15" on both ends.
    Wow. The guy who built your truck had some interesting ideas and some absolutely inexplicable execution. That weldment on the front axle is just wrong and taking the trouble to make custom 8-lug wheels, but in 15" diameter to fit cheapo car tires, again just wrong. The good news is there is a great supply of inexpensive 16" 8-lug wheels in both steel and aluminum. They were used by Ford, GM and Dodge, but with differing center hole diameters.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

He didn't make the wheels. They are after-market and were chromed, but had gotten rusty. The truck was from Southern California and even had some papers in it that makes me think a dealership may have used it in the early 60s. Some of the modifications are well done and some are questionable. I wish I knew more of the truck's history.
      Right now I just want to make it safe to drive and then I will address the things I don't care for.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

congrats on the time, expense and frustration to get her running.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
          congrats on the time, expense and frustration to get her running.
          Mark
          Thanks. I have wanted a 2R pickup for a long time. So far, I have a lot of time involved, but not a lot of money after the purchase. I recondition as much as I can and my brother has given me some extra parts he had on hand. I enjoy making things work right again and I am blessed with a bit of an aptitude for this stuff.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I thought I would throw in an update. I am slowly getting things refurbished and put back in place. I still have a long list of things that I need to do, but I can drive the truck around town with no problems. Latest projects have been the 12 volt wipers and Climatizer. I still need to hook up the Climatizer, but yesterday was the first time in a year the knobs have been back in the dash.
            Attached Files
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

She it lookin great, and I bet the fun factor is off the chart! Congrats on getting her on the road. It's all downhill from here. LOL.

Comment

Another small step. I cleaned up the kickdown switch and rewired some of the overdrive and it works! The first time I lifted my foot the overdrive engaged smooth as silk. Now I can easily go with traffic, but I really need to get the wheels balanced and check the toe-in.
                While I was wiring anyway, I also rerouted some wires to make things look neater. It is also nice to be rid of the large purple wire the PO had used for power to the relay. The wire with wire nuts someone had used is also gone.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

LOVE your truck!!
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Nice job so far on the truck. Keep up the good work....
                    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Howard,

It is looking really neat. Elbow grease and time can go a long way. It is really nice that the OD works. Hopefully will see you and Joe next month in Branson.

Charlie D.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
                        Howard,

It is looking really neat. Elbow grease and time can go a long way. It is really nice that the OD works. Hopefully will see you and Joe next month in Branson.

Charlie D.
                        We plan to be there even though we leave for Mansfield just a few days later. I will probably drive the Commander to Branson although I would really like to drive the truck. I look forward to seeing you in either case.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. The truck looks better in the pictures than up close, but that makes it more usable. I couldn't enjoy a show piece as much.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X