Thread: need a plumber...

President Member

need a plumber...

My son lives in a community south of Lancaster, PA and just called with a plumbing problem. House is circa 1975 and the one toilet has a chrome plated copper standpipe that supplies the water thru the wooden subfloor and tile bathroom flooring. It has the standard 1//4 twist off valve and a 3/8" stainless braided flex supply hose.

He went to change out the toilet and wanted to also replace the shutoff valve, which we discussed this a week ago. He purchased the "Sharkbite" fittings and tools required to R&R the valve but after cutting off the old valve and attempting to prep the pipe for the "Sharkbite" stuff, found that the diameter of the chromed supply pipe was larger than the gauge for the fittings. This is a rigid vertical pipe that goes below the floor and is connected to a maleable 1/2" cold water supply.... and it IS copper.

It seems removing the standpipe is not an option at this point. I've never seen chrome plated rigid copper pipe. Is there a line of adapters that can be used to join new fittings. Even a compression fitting valve ferrule is too small to slide over the pipe. Sanding off the chrome doesn't sound viable for a good seal....

Any ideas?

thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    My son lives in a community south of Lancaster, PA and just called with a plumbing problem. House is circa 1975 and the one toilet has a chrome plated copper standpipe that supplies the water thru the wooden subfloor and tile bathroom flooring. It has the standard 1//4 twist off valve and a 3/8" stainless braided flex supply hose.

He went to change out the toilet and wanted to also replace the shutoff valve, which we discussed this a week ago. He purchased the "Sharkbite" fittings and tools required to R&R the valve but after cutting off the old valve and attempting to prep the pipe for the "Sharkbite" stuff, found that the diameter of the chromed supply pipe was larger than the gauge for the fittings. This is a rigid vertical pipe that goes below the floor and is connected to a maleable 1/2" cold water supply.... and it IS copper.

It seems removing the standpipe is not an option at this point. I've never seen chrome plated rigid copper pipe. Is there a line of adapters that can be used to join new fittings. Even a compression fitting valve ferrule is too small to slide over the pipe. Sanding off the chrome doesn't sound viable for a good seal....

Any ideas?

thx
    That pipe is probably not copper, but chrome plated brass. I expect that he already cut the threads off that pipe---Which was a mistake the supply pipe was probably 3/8 i.d. fine thread on the top Can he unthread the entire ridgid pipe and replace it?? Pictures would greatly help. I'm in Florida, but if he has an iPhone, I could perhaps Facetime with him and make some suggestions

Silver Hawk Member
    Bob

This is probably what he cut off. The chrome plated copper pipe is made to sweat over 1/2" copper. That's why is oversize. He could just buy a piece of 1/2" copper and sweat it into the chrome pipe and use either a compression valve, jaws connector valve or just sweat a 1/2" valve onto the copper pipe sweated into the chromed pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...LX-C/205217281

Not a plumber but did stay at a Holiday Inn on the way back from Florida. Hope this helps.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    Thanks all. sounds like a winner...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    ... Not a plumber but did stay at a Holiday Inn on the way back from Florida. Hope this helps. ...
    Hey, it looks like we both went to the same college!
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I have seen that type of Rigid Chromed Copper or whatever on very Old Homes, but they were always used to connect the Toilet Valve to the Shutoff Valve, not through the Floor!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner