Thread: Engine bogs down in drive

Champion Member

Engine bogs down in drive

Hello, I have a 63 wagonaire equipped with a 289 auto that was taken out of a 64 cruiser. The engine runs and idles great but once it is shifted into drive it bogs down and runs rough.

Any suggestions on what could cause this?

That leaves a large number of possibilities to be eliminated or sorted out.

Torque Converter issue

Transmission issue

Low Fuel volume or pressure

Weak spark, Coil or Dist. issues

Vacuum Leak?

Anyone got more?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Champion Member
    I guess I should have posted this in tech talk. The car seems to have good vacuum. Shifts fine while driving. New plugs, wires, coil, and rebuild distributor. (Set up according to the manual.

Also experiencing issues with the carb draining when the car is turned off. Will not restart without fuel being poured down the carb.

"Will not restart without fuel being poured down the carb."

BIG clue...

President Member
    How long after parking the car does the carb drain? You didn't specify. If it's shortly after I'd suspect the fuel pump. If it's after three or more days it's the fuel evaporating from the bowl which is common with today's fuels. Old car systems are not sealed like the modern fuel injected sealed systems. The fuels used in the old days contained lead which prevented fuel evaporation. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Champion Member
    Its draining within 30 minutes.

As I mentioned before the engine is out of a 64 cruiser. Engine was rebuilt and I a 64. The car burnt. I am wondering if they used a stock cam or not.

Champion Member
    Finally got back to working on the car. I have the carb. Issue solved (plugged jet and faulty accelerator pump.)

Ran the car to temp and let it run for about 45 minutes. All the sudden. She shut down. She will re fire but then shut down once the gas from pressing the throttle burns off. I was thinking another plug in the carb but it is clear and clean. I tried choking it off and it will sit and run until I open the choke plate back open.

Any suggestions?

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gens4 View Post
    Finally got back to working on the car. I have the carb. Issue solved (plugged jet and faulty accelerator pump.)

Ran the car to temp and let it run for about 45 minutes. All the sudden. She shut down. She will re fire but then shut down once the gas from pressing the throttle burns off. I was thinking another plug in the carb but it is clear and clean. I tried choking it off and it will sit and run until I open the choke plate back open.

Any suggestions?
    Points....
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Rust in the tank? Acts like a THICK filter...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member

Any suggestions?
    Take it to a shadetree mechanic.

/Cut/I tried choking it off and it will sit and run until I open the choke plate back open. Any suggestions?
    This sounds like it COULD be a Vacuum leak. have you sprayed WD-40, Starting Fluid etc. around the Intake Manifold and Carb. Base to check for a speed increase indicating a leak?

Champion Member
    Only vacuum leak we found was around the pipe where the vacuum line for the pcv valve hooks up. Sealed that back up.