No announcement yet.

Champion-powered TROG racer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not being acquainted with the meaning of the TROG acronym, and not wanting to put my ignorance on display here, I did a google search. Here's what I came up with: "Acronym. Definition. TROG. Tasman Radiation Oncology Group". I doubt that a Stude powered cancer treatment device is being built so, OK, clue me in.

bhapner

Comment

The Race of Gentlemen.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        The Race of Gentlemen.
        Thanks, but dang, that leaves me out.

bhapner

Comment

I have always been intrigued by the TROG and wondered if a Champion engine would qualify. I am certainly glad to hear that it does. One of these days I will have to make it up to New Jersey to watch this event. I wish you much luck, and loads of fun.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I think there's a TROG happening this March here in Cali and again this October in Pismo Beach. I'm hoping to have my 37 Coupe ready for the October event. I won't be able to compete, but it looks like a blast to attend.
            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Hi, Bob,

No, we're not acquainted with Mr. Forrest. Where is he located?

jack
              One of my customers in Michigan is restoring a 1928 Dictator and send the engine and a lot of money to this individual.
              I can not find any information on this guy and it could be a scam!
              Anyone else ever heard of him?
              He maybe totally legit but the huge amount of money does not sound right.
              Please PM me with any information.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                I think there's a TROG happening this March here in Cali and again this October in Pismo Beach. I'm hoping to have my 37 Coupe ready for the October event. I won't be able to compete, but it looks like a blast to attend.
                October is the main event in Wildwood, New Jersey. Last year's Pismo Beach TROG was ill-fated from the start and will not likely happen again. The Santa Barbara Drags is currently the only west coast event scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthBendShaker View Post
                  October is the main event in Wildwood, New Jersey. Last year's Pismo Beach TROG was ill-fated from the start and will not likely happen again. The Santa Barbara Drags is currently the only west coast event scheduled.
                  Thats a bummer. What happened at Pismo Beach? I was so looking forward to it.
                  sals54

Comment

There is a nice 6 page history of the TROG with lots of photos in the current issue of Hot Rod Magazine (April 2019)
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Here is a link to some info.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-race-of-gentlemen-wildwood-new-jersey

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Well we’ve been chugging along on this and it’s finally starting to look like something. The olive green is turning out to be a great color, and it is going to pop even more once the frame is black. Got the cycle tires mounted up, and some mock-up on the seat and fuel tank. It was pretty fun to sit in and make motor noises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1E3D3F0-F38E-4C55-B73C-0BCF7E396D1C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1725893Click image for larger version

Name:	C262045D-53D6-4F87-B3F1-68368D9D6D73.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1725894
                        Attached Files

Comment

That project looks like tons of fun. I love following posts like this.
                          Attached Files
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice work and great progress! Are there any plans for any type of body? Cheers, Junior
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                              Nice work and great progress! Are there any plans for any type of body? Cheers, Junior
                              Not at this point. We are running the Rail Class for TROG, which is no body whatsoever. Will we possibly add some sheet metal at a later date? Not out of the question. I have a feeling this thing is going to get around a good bit, and into whatever events we can. We like to drive 'em!

Comment

Sunday’s work session got the wishbones on both ends anchored, steering arms modified, rear lever shocks adapted, seat mounted and roll bar mocked up. Chugging along on all this while the engine is at the machine shop. Forward progress! Click image for larger version

Name:	442FAB9E-0B05-4105-813F-4E7523BC634D.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1727881Click image for larger version

Name:	B3B65032-EC2F-49E4-AD0D-836B46F83514.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1727882Click image for larger version

Name:	ABF2FA64-C756-40BE-B3F7-EBA6677BE2B4.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1727883Click image for larger version