And then there were two ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then there were two ...

Long story short, I picked up a 1960 5E6 Champ the other day. Christmas present to myself I guess. After an extremely difficult loading and towing process, the champ is at the workshop. The previous owner used some parts that were in better condition on his Champ, but swapped everything out, so it's very complete. Some assembly required. Not too rusty. It's from Montana originally.

It has a Commander 6, 4 Speed, TT, Climatizer, Sliding rear window. No radio. When I brought it into the shop the engine was stuck, but after a soak in marvel and "gently" rocking it back and forth, it came loose. Then after a lot more tinkering there was spark and rotation, and finally, once I got some gasoline into the carb, it fired and idled. It will need a lot of work, but I'm not trying to have a beauty queen. Rather, I will use it as a truck for hauling plywood and things for the house, while the Lark is getting ready for paint.

Why do they keep following me home?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1759900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1759901Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1759902Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1759903

Why do they keep following me home?
    Christoph,
    Because that's what Studebakers do!
    I spied the wheels on your Lark and recalled that I used to sell them in the late 70's, early 80's! A piece of history.
    Happy New Year,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      Christoph,
      Because that's what Studebakers do!
      I spied the wheels on your Lark and recalled that I used to sell them in the late 70's, early 80's! A piece of history.
      Happy New Year,
      Bill
      Turbine Wheels! I changed all the brakes to discs so the stock ones no longer fit. Happy New Year!

Comment

I was seriously considering purchasing that one as a project for my son and I. My concerns were that the engine was stuck, and he tried rocking it, but it didn't free up. You got a great deal!
        Last edited by kurtruk; 01-06-2019, 02:08 PM.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

We will see. I was thinking there is no such thing as a cheap project. It moved under its own power this weekend. I placed a large order at studebakers international, studes west, eBay, for all the service items, a missing pulley, etc.

Either way, Michael, the guy I bought it from, was very helpful and included everything that was ever taken off the truck.

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
          I was seriously considering purchasing that one as a project for my son and I. My concerns were that the engine was stuck, and he tried rocking it, but it didn't free up. You got a great deal!

Comment

I can't wait to see it driving up 101. I'm partial to that bed setup.

Comment

Working...
            X