Single Digit Body Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by (S) View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]81012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81013[/ATTACH] A local WA car that swings by for parts [ATTACH=CONFIG]81014[/ATTACH]

The 4 th Los Angeles Car , Body # 19
    I believe that would be the fifth, not fourth LA President, not "Car".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81013[/ATTACH] A local WA car that swings by for parts [ATTACH=CONFIG]81014[/ATTACH]

The 4 th Los Angeles Car , Body # 19
      ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I knew there had to be a few left!
      55 Commander Regal Coupe
      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
      KARR (Knightrider)
      Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
          This Golden Hawk had a long streamer attached to the body tag (the streamer has been removed). I wonder what it was. My guess is std. trans. (w/od), but looks like it was too long for that.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That's 6030042, and it had a lot of accessories. My guess is the steamer said power seats power windows. Or P SEAT P WIND, something like that.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              That's 6030042, and it had a lot of accessories. My guess is the steamer said power seats power windows. Or P SEAT P WIND, something like that.
              That would be the 42nd South Bend 1956 Golden Hawk and it was assembled using the 5th body welded up!
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                This Golden Hawk had a long streamer attached to the body tag (the streamer has been removed). I wonder what it was. My guess is std. trans. (w/od), but looks like it was too long for that.
                Unfortunately, I have no idea, and neither does the owner who's dad owned it since the early 1970's at least. The streamer was missing when he bought it, and figured the dealer may have removed it. Dwain is correct in that it being a power window and power seat car, and I would also guess it stated the same on the streamer.

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 05-24-2019, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Gary, The serial numbers for the 56 J started at 6,800,001 The first car or model of car was referred to as Starting serial number, 001, not 000

The 55 I posted IS the 5th, not the 4th and this 56J is 41 not 42......

Comment

Gary, The serial numbers for the 56 J started at 6,800,001 The first car or model of car was referred to as Starting serial number, 001, not 000

The 55 I posted IS the 5th, not the 4th and this 56J is 41 not 42......
                    I agree with your starting point. You need to check your math. You do not just subtract the numbers to get the count. You subtract and add one. I will try to explain this with an example. Suppose the numbers start with 001. 010 is then the tenth unit (not the ninth). Count them out; 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007, 008, 009, 010. That makes 010 the tenth unit. (If the numbers did start with 000, you would have to add one more for the 000 unit.)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That is cool. Love this stuff, and seeing these. Where do you find the number to calculate from which build number the car is?
                      55 Commander Regal Coupe
                      XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                      KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Starting serial numbers for each year are in the corresponding parts books. More information can be found in Turning Wheels feature article for that particular vehicle.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Not the first time I mixed up some numbers.

Comment

Anybody could. Still a lovely car.
                            55 Commander Regal Coupe
                            XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                            KARR (Knightrider)

Comment

Found another one. I Got a call to go get a 51 Champion running and was noticing odd things about it. For starters, it is very original, but had an engine transplant somewhere in time. It had factory RED primer in the rear trunk area, and other odd things. Closer inspection revealed a Canada serial plate and body tag number was really low.

Comment

Found another one. I Got a call to go get a 51 Champion running and was noticing odd things about it. For starters, it is very original, but had an engine transplant somewhere in time. It had factory RED primer in the rear trunk area, and other odd things. Closer inspection revealed a Canada serial plate and body tag number was really low.
                                How low is "really low"?
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                                X