'51 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    That is a really pretty Car, love the Color. anyways Matt how many can say They have a 51 Studebaker with AC
    Quite a few if you count all of the modified bullet nose cars out there.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Finally looking at this thread and noted the AC with still 6V.

Although its possible the compressor clutch may engage on 6v, I think it could be doubtful. If there are 6v coils available for these, I suspect the current draw is pretty high. The magnetic pull-in force created in a clutch coil with all else being equal is proportional to current squared x turns squared:

F proportional to I^2 x N^2

Ohms law also applies here so I = V/R

For something running on 6V instead of 12V w/o changing anything else you get 1/2 the current and I^2 of 1/2 the current is 1/4 the force to pull-in the clutch.

You can rewind the coil to use larger wire to reduce the resistance but that takes more space. You can increase the number of turns as N^2 adds up too. But, more turns means more space needed or use finer wire but that makes R go up what makes I go down.....

You can see where this goes. Tradeoffs. I would expect a 6V coil vs a 12V coil has some combo of both larger gauge wire to reduce resistance and more turns to get the same pull-in. All that said, I expect in the end it takes more current from the car electrical system compared to a 12v coil.

All this above rambling goes to why 12v replaced 6v and some years ago there were serious work on going with 36v in new cars (no longer a thing) since load demands of all the accessories is going up and up.

I didn't see if this car has a alternator (there are 6v ones available) or the original generator.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
        Finally looking at this thread and noted the AC with still 6V.

Although its possible the compressor clutch may engage on 6v, I think it could be doubtful. If there are 6v coils available for these, I suspect the current draw is pretty high. The magnetic pull-in force created in a clutch coil with all else being equal is proportional to current squared x turns squared:

F proportional to I^2 x N^2

Ohms law also applies here so I = V/R

For something running on 6V instead of 12V w/o changing anything else you get 1/2 the current and I^2 of 1/2 the current is 1/4 the force to pull-in the clutch.

You can rewind the coil to use larger wire to reduce the resistance but that takes more space. You can increase the number of turns as N^2 adds up too. But, more turns means more space needed or use finer wire but that makes R go up what makes I go down.....

You can see where this goes. Tradeoffs. I would expect a 6V coil vs a 12V coil has some combo of both larger gauge wire to reduce resistance and more turns to get the same pull-in. All that said, I expect in the end it takes more current from the car electrical system compared to a 12v coil.

All this above rambling goes to why 12v replaced 6v and some years ago there were serious work on going with 36v in new cars (no longer a thing) since load demands of all the accessories is going up and up.

I didn't see if this car has a alternator (there are 6v ones available) or the original generator.
        From what I've been told, the AC compressor clutch was taken to a local electric shop and modified to work on 6 volts. The car is still running the original generator, though I may change it to a 6V alternator when I redo the wiring. Either way.. It's been setup this way and working fine for the last 21 years.

Comment

the AC compressor clutch was taken to a local electric shop and modified to work on 6 volts.
          Thanks Matthew, what I figured. I think those generators only put out 30A or so. Extra load of the AC and blowers if driving at night maybe pushing the limit. But, if its working, its working!

I do like that shade of maroon used in those years of cars. Seems like 90% of the un-restored survivor cars of the 47-52 era are some shade of green from what I see when they turn up around this part of the country.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I purchased Jim Turner's front disc and dual M/C setup, and got the rotors and calipers installed today. Tomorrow and Monday I'll get the dual M/C setup installed and run new brake lines throughout, and redo the stock rear brakes.

Most of the front end shiny stuff was getting a little ratty, so I installed a pair of NOS grilles, an NOS bullet, and a pair of our repro headlight bezels. A Land Cruiser needs its bling.

Comment

Well, I didn’t get the brakes done. Ran into some problems with Turner’s kit and the master cylinder I ordered was boxed wrong. The next couple of weekends will be busy so it’ll be a couple of weeks before I get back to the car. Ah well!

Comment

Matt,

She's got plenty of bling, it just needs to be in as good a shape as possible. Otherwise the bling goes blang.

The only other thing to make that beauty any prettier is to park it in front of my house and my name on the title. For me, that shade of red is breath taking and really exemplifies the era.

Ken

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                I purchased Jim Turner's front disc and dual M/C setup, and got the rotors and calipers installed today. Tomorrow and Monday I'll get the dual M/C setup installed and run new brake lines throughout, and redo the stock rear brakes.

Most of the front end shiny stuff was getting a little ratty, so I installed a pair of NOS grilles, an NOS bullet, and a pair of our repro headlight bezels. A Land Cruiser needs its bling.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                  Matt,

She's got plenty of bling, it just needs to be in as good a shape as possible. Otherwise the bling goes blang.

The only other thing to make that beauty any prettier is to park it in front of my house and my name on the title. For me, that shade of red is breath taking and really exemplifies the era.

Ken
                  Thanks! I've always thought that the '47-52 cars looked their best when painted a dark color. I don't think I've seen another Black Cherry '51 LC.. It suits the car well.

Some early Christmas presents are starting to arrive.. Just received all of the wiring from Lark Works; less than 5 weeks from ordered to delivered. Clothed wrapped and exactly as it should be. Each wire is tagged and matches up with a dirt simple schematic for installation. I'm actually looking forward to putting it in, and I hate electrical work.

Comment

Just received all of the wiring from Lark Works;
                    In twenty years it will look like it's been there since day one.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Let me know

Thanks! I've always thought that the '47-52 cars looked their best when painted a dark color. I don't think I've seen another Black Cherry '51 LC.. It suits the car well.

Some early Christmas presents are starting to arrive.. Just received all of the wiring from Lark Works; less than 5 weeks from ordered to delivered. Clothed wrapped and exactly as it should be. Each wire is tagged and matches up with a dirt simple schematic for installation. I'm actually looking forward to putting it in, and I hate electrical work.

When I was a kid, my neighbor had exactly the car you have. I mean everything, OD and all. From his road to the highway was slightly upgrade. I liked to listen to it setting there with the hill-holder and his mufflers just idling a tune. When you decide to sell it, I would certainly appreciate your giving me a shot at it. I am more than serious. Thanks, Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam, but as I said before, this car isn't for sale.

More new parts are showing up. I talked to Tom Shrock a month or so ago, and somewhere in the conversation he said, "tomorrow is my 82nd birthday. And one of these days I'd like to retire!" Thinking that maybe I should take advantage of the Shrocks services while it's still being offered, I asked him to do a wheel for the '51. It's perfect.

Comment

I have the same car. What was the cost of the wheel repair? You can PM me if you don’t want to post it.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                            I have the same car. What was the cost of the wheel repair? You can PM me if you don’t want to post it.
                            It is not a repair. The Schrocks make no secret of their charges. Prices are listed on their website (I don't have the link handy). They strip the core and mold a brand new wheel around the metal core. When finished, you have a brand new wheel made with brand new UV resistant material that is probably more durable than the originals. I have one on my Land Cruiser and it was worth every penny.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post

Scroll down, the ‘51 wheel is towards the bottom. $800 cast onto your core.

Like John said, what they do is more of a remanufacture than a repair. The wheels are cast in a colored urethane that should last forever.

Here's another one that they recast earlier this year.

Last edited by mbstude; 09-07-2018, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks, scrolled down and saw that a few hours ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X