No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland, Thanks for posting the Willys link. I'd never have guessed that so many have survived. Where is that property located?
    Junior, Over the years I have "manufactured" several straight through dual exhaust cross members(mostly GM) by taking 6" heavy wall pipe, heating it and crushing it into an oval shape with about a 4" opening, then grafting it into the single exhaust crossover.
    With header equipped vehicles such as my wife's '83 Sedan Deville d'elegance, it gives a perfectly straight shot from the collectors back to the custom dual exhaust. OH I forgot to tell you, it is equipped with a '75 Olds 455 W30 replacing the Caddie aluminum POS. Mileage didn't change but performance sure did.
    Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by junior View Post
      That 64ish Ford is so 'wrong' that it's so cool.
      That's a 63 1/2. I bought one new in '63 (390CI 4 speed) and a used one in '64 (427CI 4 speed).

Originally posted by junior View Post
      I always wonder why Studebaker never put two bumps in those crossmembers for dual exhaust systems
      They did. It's called a 1956 Golden Hawk.

Originally posted by junior View Post
      I think I read somewhere that some of the sedans had crossmembers with two bumps.
      They do, but they won't fit a C-K.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

That 64ish Ford is so 'wrong' that it's so cool. Typically I'm not a Ford fan, but this car and the black one that is featured in the latest edition of HOTROD magazine are exceptions!

I always wonder why Studebaker never put two bumps in those crossmembers for dual exhaust systems...the system on my car there was no room to route the driver's side pipe on top of the crossmember so it had to go under...doesn't look good to me. I think I read somewhere that some of the sedans had crossmembers with two bumps. cheers, junior
        . My Lark has two bumps in the batwing..thank goodness ground clearance was a major issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
          That's a 63 1/2. I bought one new in '63 (390CI 4 speed) and a used one in '64 (427CI 4 speed).
          Hate to be a nitpicker Jerry, but that's a '64. Check out the bodyline spear on the front fender into the door. (I had a '63 1/2 with a 289/3 on the tree!)
          Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

• Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
            Hate to be a nitpicker Jerry, but that's a '64. Check out the bodyline spear on the front fender into the door. (I had a '63 1/2 with a 289/3 on the tree!)
            Went back and had another look.
            You are right, my bad.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

That 64ish Ford is so 'wrong' that it's so cool. Typically I'm not a Ford fan, but this car and the black one that is featured in the latest edition of HOTROD magazine are exceptions!

I always wonder why Studebaker never put two bumps in those crossmembers for dual exhaust systems...the system on my car there was no room to route the driver's side pipe on top of the crossmember so it had to go under...doesn't look good to me. I think I read somewhere that some of the sedans had crossmembers with two bumps. cheers, junior
              I'm glad you mentioned that as I was suspecting I had single exhaust, but someone added dual exhaust. It's an awkward setup, one above and one below, makes for a very crowded undercarriage.
              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                Roland, Thanks for posting the Willys link. I'd never have guessed that so many have survived. Where is that property located?
                Junior, Over the years I have "manufactured" several straight through dual exhaust cross members(mostly GM) by taking 6" heavy wall pipe, heating it and crushing it into an oval shape with about a 4" opening, then grafting it into the single exhaust crossover.
                With header equipped vehicles such as my wife's '83 Sedan Deville d'elegance, it gives a perfectly straight shot from the collectors back to the custom dual exhaust. OH I forgot to tell you, it is equipped with a '75 Olds 455 W30 replacing the Caddie aluminum POS. Mileage didn't change but performance sure did.
                Bill

Bill, thanks. The place is Willys America, in Cazadero, CA. They have an open house every year and we attended it for several years.

Willys America ~ Willys America Jeep Restorations, Sales, Jeep Parts ~ Home Page

Cool that you were using an Olds engine. I had three Olds at one time. A 64' Cutlass coupe with 330, PG, ps and a/c. A 69 Cutlass with a 350 and a 69 Hurst Olds. Like the Studebaker, it has siamese center exhaust ports. Never did seem to make as much horse power as an equivalent Chevy engine though.
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                  Bill, thanks. The place is Willys America, in Cazadero, CA. They have an open house every year and we attended it for several years.

Willys America ~ Willys America Jeep Restorations, Sales, Jeep Parts ~ Home Page

Cool that you were using an Olds engine. I had three Olds at one time. A 64' Cutlass coupe with 330, PG, ps and a/c. A 69 Cutlass with a 350 and a 69 Hurst Olds. Like the Studebaker, it has siamese center exhaust ports. Never did seem to make as much horse power as an equivalent Chevy engine though.
                  In the relatively small world of Studebakers - I owned a '64 Cutlass hardtop with 330, AT, ps and factory A/C. Mine was brought up to NY from Texas.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Got the call from the rebuilder that the clutch parts are ready.

It's beautiful.

New ring gear installed and new throw out bearing.

Old ring gear has multiple bad spots. I will check out the Bendix drive and get this clutch back in this long weekend.
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• This guys seems to have a few cars available. I like the black Hawk.

Anyone have a right front fender, a couple of headlamp rings and the rear trunk panel for sale?
                      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Why would it need a new RF fender? Are you CA guys afraid of fixing a little rust?
                        You can purchase new repro. headlight rims.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Yes, the Hawk looks to be the most savable of the bunch. What a shame to have stored such a special car out in the weather all these years.
                          Wonder what the story is on it?

Comment

• Personally, if I were to rescue one of these cars from CA, I'd save the 1955 Champion sedan. It's interesting enough for me to do it with enthusiasm while being "undesirable" enough so that it is unlikely anyone else will. Basically, I would be acting as a missionary.
                            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Why would it need a new RF fender? Are you CA guys afraid of fixing a little rust?
                              You can purchase new repro. headlight rims.

Hi Gary, I should have used a different reply, I need those parts for my 62.
                              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• Frame is actually in good shape, just surface rust that the Por-15 should take care of.

I was able to remove the entire rear brake line to see if it could be done and the new one won't have to be in two pieces. I also removed a lot of parts to get access to the frame for painting.

I also think the Bendix drive is ok to run, but at the first sign of problems, it gets changed out.
                                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X